Newly built machine is VERY slow

Just built my new box and its running ridiculously slow. just over 2mins
to boot to the login prompt then a further 1min 20 to get to the
desktop, its a new install of xp pro. The spec is as follows, a couple
things, it has dumped after a bugcheck a couple times, last time i had
this it was due to overclocked ram. I manually set this ram to its speed
with no joy. Also, im running it off a 300w PSU [i have a 400 on the
way] atm, which I know is causing other problems [reboots when i turn on
the light tubes hehe]. But that wouldnt be the cause of this would it ?

Anyway, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as this is sposed to be
the hype box that is replacing my fast, stable, 4yo duron800 machine :p

P4 2.8 Prescott [1mb L2 cache, 800/HT] @ 50 deg C
512 DDR 2700 [333]
Asus Board, supporting Prescott, HT and 800fsb @ 27 deg C
256mb Geforce4 gfx card
1 Zalman Fan controller
1 multifunctional docking bay [mem cards, usb, f/wire etc]
1 DVDrom
1 DVDRW
1 40GB hdd @ 5400
1 80GB hdd : 7200
3 Case fans
5 inline led's.
[the tubes are always turned off atm]

If you need the exact part specs just shout.

thx

--
Mimic

It sounds like a timing issue. Have you looked in the event log for an
error? Chances are the system log is loaded with errors. Is this connected
to network? If so, is the IP dynamic or static?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

What brand of hard drives?

Captain Ron wrote:
> It sounds like a timing issue. Have you looked in the event log for an
> error? Chances are the system log is loaded with errors. Is this connected
> to network? If so, is the IP dynamic or static?

application-wise, theres just a few crashes, and some firewall related
errors which are just a missing file. There is also an entry as so:

Hanging application IKernel.exe, version 6.22.100.1511, hang module
hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

System log: DCOM failed ot start a fair few times. Various
drivers/services died unexpectedly [ie gfx, norton speeddisk, pctel]

Other than that, nothing really. There is an onboard NIC - unconnected,
and the modem has a dynamically assigned IP.

--
Mimic

You must have Mcafee on the system. It sounds like the system is having an
issue the Mcafee. Could it be attempting a full virus scan at startup?

jad

Norton what? system worse.... err,, works? AOL? New install of XP
over the top(upgrade) or a clean install? all those dying services
and drivers are going to cause a boot hang for sure. What does the
device manager say when you finally boot to the desktop?

Dave wrote:

> What brand of hard drives?
>
> "Mimic" <dev@null> wrote in message
>
>>Just built my new box and its running ridiculously slow. just over 2mins
>>to boot to the login prompt then a further 1min 20 to get to the
>>desktop, its a new install of xp pro. The spec is as follows, a couple
>>things, it has dumped after a bugcheck a couple times, last time i had
>>this it was due to overclocked ram. I manually set this ram to its speed
>>with no joy. Also, im running it off a 300w PSU [i have a 400 on the
>>way] atm, which I know is causing other problems [reboots when i turn on
>>the light tubes hehe]. But that wouldnt be the cause of this would it ?
>>
>>Anyway, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as this is sposed to be
>>the hype box that is replacing my fast, stable, 4yo duron800 machine :p
>>
>>P4 2.8 Prescott [1mb L2 cache, 800/HT] @ 50 deg C
>>512 DDR 2700 [333]
>>Asus Board, supporting Prescott, HT and 800fsb @ 27 deg C
>>256mb Geforce4 gfx card
>>1 Zalman Fan controller
>>1 multifunctional docking bay [mem cards, usb, f/wire etc]
>>1 DVDrom
>>1 DVDRW
>>1 40GB hdd @ 5400
>>1 80GB hdd : 7200
>>3 Case fans
>>5 inline led's.
>>[the tubes are always turned off atm]
>>
>>If you need the exact part specs just shout.
>>
>>thx
>>
>>--
>>Mimic

um...
Quantumn Fireball[40gig]
WD Caviar [80gig]

--
Mimic

steveh

> Dave wrote:
>
>> What brand of hard drives?
>>
>> "Mimic" <dev@null> wrote in message
>>
>>>Just built my new box and its running ridiculously slow. just over 2mins
>>>to boot to the login prompt then a further 1min 20 to get to the
>>>desktop, its a new install of xp pro. The spec is as follows, a couple
>>>things, it has dumped after a bugcheck a couple times, last time i had
>>>this it was due to overclocked ram. I manually set this ram to its speed
>>>with no joy. Also, im running it off a 300w PSU [i have a 400 on the
>>>way] atm, which I know is causing other problems [reboots when i turn on
>>>the light tubes hehe]. But that wouldnt be the cause of this would it ?
>>>
>>>Anyway, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as this is sposed to be
>>>the hype box that is replacing my fast, stable, 4yo duron800 machine :p
>>>
>>>P4 2.8 Prescott [1mb L2 cache, 800/HT] @ 50 deg C
>>>512 DDR 2700 [333]
>>>Asus Board, supporting Prescott, HT and 800fsb @ 27 deg C
>>>256mb Geforce4 gfx card
>>>1 Zalman Fan controller
>>>1 multifunctional docking bay [mem cards, usb, f/wire etc]
>>>1 DVDrom
>>>1 DVDRW
>>>1 40GB hdd @ 5400
>>>1 80GB hdd : 7200
>>>3 Case fans
>>>5 inline led's.
>>>[the tubes are always turned off atm]
>>>
>>>If you need the exact part specs just shout.
>>>
>>>thx
>>>
>>>--
>>>Mimic
>>

> um...
> Quantumn Fireball[40gig]
> WD Caviar [80gig]
>
> --
> Mimic

Which of the HDD's are you booting from?
Are either of them serial ATA?
What are the master/slave settings of the HDD's and optical devices? (and
what is slaved to what?)

SteveH

Captain Ron wrote:

> You must have Mcafee on the system. It sounds like the system is having an
> issue the Mcafee. Could it be attempting a full virus scan at startup?

nope no mcafee, the slow down starts right after the post :p
However, I *appear* to have fixed it now, but thx for the input :D

--
Mimic

SteveH wrote:

> "Mimic" <dev@null> wrote in message
>
>>Dave wrote:
>>

>>>What brand of hard drives?
>>>
>>>"Mimic" <dev@null> wrote in message

>>um...
>>Quantumn Fireball[40gig]
>>WD Caviar [80gig]
>>
>>--
>>Mimic
>

> Which of the HDD's are you booting from?
> Are either of them serial ATA?
> What are the master/slave settings of the HDD's and optical devices? (and
> what is slaved to what?)
>
> SteveH

Fixed now.
But they are set as :
IDE 1 = 80gb OS Bootable [CS] && 40gig storage [CS]
IDE 2 = DVDRW[master] DVDROM[slave]

Interestingly, originally the OS hdd was set to master [at OEM out of
the box stage] and the XPp install looped and never got anywhere.
Changing it to CS it ran straight through np's :p

--
Mimic

jad

"Mimic" <dev@null.net> wrote in message
> SteveH wrote:
>
> > "Mimic" <dev@null> wrote in message

> >>um...
> >>Quantumn Fireball[40gig]
> >>WD Caviar [80gig]
> >>
> >>--
> >>Mimic
> >

> > Which of the HDD's are you booting from?
> > Are either of them serial ATA?
> > What are the master/slave settings of the HDD's and optical
devices? (and
> > what is slaved to what?)
> >
> > SteveH
> >

> Fixed now.
> But they are set as :
> IDE 1 = 80gb OS Bootable [CS] && 40gig storage [CS]
> IDE 2 = DVDRW[master] DVDROM[slave]
>
> Interestingly, originally the OS hdd was set to master [at OEM out
of
> the box stage] and the XPp install looped and never got anywhere.
> Changing it to CS it ran straight through np's :p
>
> --
> Mimic

WD the OS HD? and was that set to MASTER lone drive or master with
slave?

And HOW did you fix the slow boot problem?

JAD wrote:

> WD the OS HD? and was that set to MASTER lone drive or master with
> slave?
>
> And HOW did you fix the slow boot problem?

yeah WD the OS drive, when set to master as the only drive in there. I
added the second drive when things were running.
A different [higher] psu seemed to have helped for whatever reason. :p

--
Mimic

Matt wrote:

> Mimic wrote:
>
>> Just built my new box and its running ridiculously slow. just over
>> 2mins to boot to the login prompt then a further 1min 20 to get to the
>> desktop, its a new install of xp pro. The spec is as follows, a couple
>> things, it has dumped after a bugcheck a couple times, last time i had
>> this it was due to overclocked ram. I manually set this ram to its
>> speed with no joy. Also, im running it off a 300w PSU [i have a 400 on
>> the way] atm, which I know is causing other problems [reboots when i
>> turn on the light tubes hehe]. But that wouldnt be the cause of this
>> would it ?
>>
>> Anyway, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as this is sposed to be
>> the hype box that is replacing my fast, stable, 4yo duron800 machine :p
>>
>> P4 2.8 Prescott [1mb L2 cache, 800/HT] @ 50 deg C
>> 512 DDR 2700 [333]
>> Asus Board, supporting Prescott, HT and 800fsb @ 27 deg C
>> 256mb Geforce4 gfx card
>> 1 Zalman Fan controller
>> 1 multifunctional docking bay [mem cards, usb, f/wire etc]
>> 1 DVDrom
>> 1 DVDRW
>> 1 40GB hdd @ 5400
>> 1 80GB hdd : 7200
>> 3 Case fans
>> 5 inline led's.
>> [the tubes are always turned off atm]
>>
>> If you need the exact part specs just shout.
>>
>> thx
>>

> All will be grasping at straws until you get an adequate power supply.

thx, ALOT of people had said that, which was also my inclination, and a
new psu seemed to have fixed it :D

--
Mimic