Radeon 9700Pro vs. Nvidia 5900XT

Been comparing the two and performancewise they seem similiar, pricewise
the 9700pro can be had cheaper (buying used). Anyone here use either...
opinions?

Maybe I should wait a few more months, I probably won't be buying Doom3
until the price drops and I'm not currently playing any other games.
6 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9700pro nvidia 5900xt

    "Jeff Gibbons" <muchachos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Been comparing the two and performancewise they seem similiar, pricewise
    > the 9700pro can be had cheaper (buying used). Anyone here use either...
    > opinions?
    >
    > Maybe I should wait a few more months, I probably won't be buying Doom3
    > until the price drops and I'm not currently playing any other games.

    I've got the 5900XT. Two of them, in fact. Excellent gaming card. But
    check out the 5900 (no XT) on sale at Newegg for about $174 (last I
    checked). That one is somewhere between 5900XT and *9800* PRO in terms of
    performance. Heckuva bargain, if they've still got them. But if not, I
    think you'd like the 5900XT. -Dave

    In article <HqCSc.169321$wH4.10660010@twister.southeast.rr.com>, Jeff
    Gibbons says...
    > Been comparing the two and performancewise they seem similiar, pricewise
    > the 9700pro can be had cheaper (buying used). Anyone here use either...
    > opinions?
    >
    > Maybe I should wait a few more months, I probably won't be buying Doom3
    > until the price drops and I'm not currently playing any other games.

    Doom 3 is shite. Its too dark. Get a 128MB 9800 Pro.
    --
    Conor

    Do gooders are your most dangerous enemies. Never turn your back on the
    devious bastards.

    "Conor" wrote:
    > Jeff Gibbons says...
    > > Been comparing the two and performancewise they seem similiar, pricewise
    > > the 9700pro can be had cheaper (buying used). Anyone here use either...
    > > opinions?
    > >
    > > Maybe I should wait a few more months, I probably won't be buying Doom3
    > > until the price drops and I'm not currently playing any other games.
    > >

    > Doom 3 is shite. Its too dark. Get a 128MB 9800 Pro.

    Increase your gamma and brightness when using 3D apps in ATI control panel if the
    in-game console settings don't provide enough detail for you..

    Jon

    Then I would wait. Prices will always come down. Check out the refurbs on
    www.newegg.com You can always find a good bargain there.

    In article <2o1v83F5vioaU1@uni-berlin.de>, Jon Danniken says...

    > Increase your gamma and brightness when using 3D apps in ATI control panel if the
    > in-game console settings don't provide enough detail for you..

    Doom 3 is dark and shite no matter what setting you use. Its part of
    the game. Apparently its called "atmospheric".

    --

    "Conor" wrote:
    > Jon Danniken says...
    >
    > > Increase your gamma and brightness when using 3D apps in ATI control panel if the
    > > in-game console settings don't provide enough detail for you..
    > >
    > Doom 3 is dark and shite no matter what setting you use. Its part of
    > the game. Apparently its called "atmospheric".

    If you don't like the game, that's fine, but there most certainly *are* ways to
    increase the visibility in that game; I mentioned the two most effective ones, and
    there are other ways to do it as well (powerstrip, et cetera).

    Jon

Homebuilt Radeon Nvidia Systems