Looking for suggestions on a good motherboard/cpu bundle

I want to put together a decent gaming/video-editing computer. More
specifically I want to take 40 years of VHS family movies and put them
on DVDs, and I don't believe my current computer (Abit KT7a AMD
Athlon, 1.2 Ghz) which I built three years ago can handle that.. plus,
I am looking for an excuse build a new computer. I will be giving the
old one to my wife (grin).

I have been out of the loop so long, I really don't know what's hot
and what's not. Any suggestions of what would be a good MB/CPU combo,
as well as what to stay away from, would be appreciated. Also, any
suggestions of a good vender wouldn't hurt. I purchased my last combo
from J & R Computer. I was pleased with them, but they might be on
the high side.

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about looking suggestions good motherboard bundle

    I am not into any serious gaming but as you most likely already
    know..... gaming and video editing are both CPU intenstive tasks.

    I am currently transferring VHS tapes to DVD on a hombuilt AMD 1500
    ( 1.33ghz ) with 256mb of ram with no problems whatsoever. I don't do
    any "serious" gaming so I won't address that issue.

    To "cut to the chase" there are tons of combinations that you could
    put together that would serve you well. For starters.... we have no
    idea what your budget is.

    I have had NO problems with www.newegg.com for parts. Their pricing
    is competitive and they are remarkably fast on their deliveries as I
    believe they only use FedEx. (BTW...Pricewatch has a listing for
    motherboard/cpu bundles)

    You can always go to www.pricewatch.com and check the current prices
    on various peripherals.

    Good Luck on your build!

    "ABE" <ABE@HOTMAIL.com> wrote in message news:<10hnduu6n3idn97@corp.supernews.com>...
    > I want to put together a decent gaming/video-editing computer. More
    > specifically I want to take 40 years of VHS family movies and put them
    > on DVDs, and I don't believe my current computer (Abit KT7a AMD
    > Athlon, 1.2 Ghz) which I built three years ago can handle that.. plus,
    > I am looking for an excuse build a new computer. I will be giving the
    > old one to my wife (grin).
    >
    > I have been out of the loop so long, I really don't know what's hot
    > and what's not. Any suggestions of what would be a good MB/CPU combo,
    > as well as what to stay away from, would be appreciated. Also, any
    > suggestions of a good vender wouldn't hurt. I purchased my last combo
    > from J & R Computer. I was pleased with them, but they might be on
    > the high side.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks for responding, Jim. I wonder if my computer has enough muscle
    to do that? If so, at least I need to buy a DVD burner, and a new HD
    (current one is on it's last leg), and a new video card with video
    in/out, and probably up grade to XP, I have W98se. I have 512 MB of
    Ram, so that should be enough.

    Do you mind if I ask, do you have any special hardware to do the
    VHS/DVD transfer and what do you have in the way of video card and
    video software? Are you using XP?

    Thanks.

    "Jim Wilson" <slimjimwilson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am not into any serious gaming but as you most likely already
    > know..... gaming and video editing are both CPU intenstive tasks.
    >
    > I am currently transferring VHS tapes to DVD on a hombuilt AMD 1500
    > ( 1.33ghz ) with 256mb of ram with no problems whatsoever. I don't
    do
    > any "serious" gaming so I won't address that issue.
    >
    > To "cut to the chase" there are tons of combinations that you could
    > put together that would serve you well. For starters.... we have
    no
    > idea what your budget is.
    >
    > I have had NO problems with www.newegg.com for parts. Their
    pricing
    > is competitive and they are remarkably fast on their deliveries as
    > believe they only use FedEx. (BTW...Pricewatch has a listing for
    > motherboard/cpu bundles)
    >
    > You can always go to www.pricewatch.com and check the current prices
    > on various peripherals.
    >
    > Good Luck on your build!

    > "ABE" <ABE@HOTMAIL.com> wrote in message
    > > I want to put together a decent gaming/video-editing computer.
    More
    > > specifically I want to take 40 years of VHS family movies and put
    them
    > > on DVDs, and I don't believe my current computer (Abit KT7a AMD
    > > Athlon, 1.2 Ghz) which I built three years ago can handle that..
    plus,
    > > I am looking for an excuse build a new computer. I will be giving
    the
    > > old one to my wife (grin).
    > >
    > > I have been out of the loop so long, I really don't know what's
    hot
    > > and what's not. Any suggestions of what would be a good MB/CPU
    combo,
    > > as well as what to stay away from, would be appreciated. Also,
    any
    > > suggestions of a good vender wouldn't hurt. I purchased my last
    combo
    > > from J & R Computer. I was pleased with them, but they might be
    on
    > > the high side.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    No doubt about it. The board you are looking for is the GA-7N400 Pro2 rev2.
    Any AMD Barton Core at or over the 2500..
    Maxtor serial ATA drive(s) like 6Y120P0 max+9 drive.
    Use WD Raptor if you want to spoil your self with RAID 0.
    JPS

    "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > No doubt about it. The board you are looking for is the GA-7N400
    Pro2 rev2.
    > Any AMD Barton Core at or over the 2500..
    > Maxtor serial ATA drive(s) like 6Y120P0 max+9 drive.
    > Use WD Raptor if you want to spoil your self with RAID 0.
    > JPS

    "He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of
    any man I know." -Abraham Lincoln

    "They never open their mouths without subtracting from the
    sum of human knowledge." -Thomas Brackett Reed

    Abe: " do you have any special hardware to do the
    > VHS/DVD transfer and what do you have in the way of video card and
    > video software? Are you using XP? "

    I'm using an ATI TV Wonder VE (Value Edition). It has a built in TV
    Tuner. I could record stuff straight off cable/satellite or whatever.
    It's a PCI card and it's a low cost solution. You may have heard of
    ATI's All In Wonder which is quite a bit more expensive.

    I did a search on www.pricewatch.com and cnetpc.com sells the card I
    have for $38.99. I paid about $45.00 for it a year ago. I don't
    claim that it's the "best" solution.... I'm only saying that it works
    for me. You could undoubtedly pay a lot more and get a much higher
    end solution if that's what you are looking for.
    (a company called Dazzle makes a nice external solution, BTW)

    I am indeed using WindowsXP (Pro) but I'm sure you could get by with
    Windows98(se). The ATI TV WonderVE card did not even come with
    WindowsXP drivers when I bought it. I had to go online to get XP
    drivers.

    The video software I'm using came with the ATI TV Wonder VE card. You
    can spend as much as you like (or dislike) on video editing software.
    I was simply looking for a "low-cost solution" for transferring VHS to
    DVD and what I'm using is satisfactory for my purposes. I wasn't
    looking for a "professional" solution by any means.

    Check this out: http://www.shentech.com/vixtevtvtuvi.html
    Very interesting looking solution and it's only $49.00 plus shipping.

    My video card (purchased about 1 1/2 ago and showing it's age) is an :

    MSI GeForce3 Ti200 Pro-T 64 mb DDR , 4x AGP, (with TV out)

    It's probably not even sold anymore. (too old and too slow?!?)

    Don't know if I've been of any help. Good Luck!

    "ABE" <ABE@HOTMAIL.com> wrote in message news:<10ho0e4hgr7ma32@corp.supernews.com>...
    > Thanks for responding, Jim. I wonder if my computer has enough muscle
    > to do that? If so, at least I need to buy a DVD burner, and a new HD
    > (current one is on it's last leg), and a new video card with video
    > in/out, and probably up grade to XP, I have W98se. I have 512 MB of
    > Ram, so that should be enough.
    >
    > Do you mind if I ask, do you have any special hardware to do the
    > VHS/DVD transfer and what do you have in the way of video card and
    > video software? Are you using XP?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Thanks again, your information has been helpful.

    Abe

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:34:30 -0400, "ABE" <ABE@HOTMAIL.com> wrote:

    >I want to put together a decent gaming/video-editing computer. More
    >specifically I want to take 40 years of VHS family movies and put them
    >on DVDs, and I don't believe my current computer (Abit KT7a AMD
    >Athlon, 1.2 Ghz) which I built three years ago can handle that.. plus,
    >I am looking for an excuse build a new computer. I will be giving the
    >old one to my wife (grin).
    >
    >I have been out of the loop so long, I really don't know what's hot
    >and what's not. Any suggestions of what would be a good MB/CPU combo,
    >as well as what to stay away from, would be appreciated. Also, any
    >suggestions of a good vender wouldn't hurt. I purchased my last combo
    >from J & R Computer. I was pleased with them, but they might be on
    >the high side.
    >
    >Thanks

    Check out Vegas 5 + DVD 2 for video editing software if you want a
    very powerful yet easy to learn NLE package.. it is not cheap as it is
    on the professional level... but it is excellent... Adobe PP is also
    excellent but the learning curve is steep...
    If Vegas is out of you price range then check out Screen Blast Movie
    Studio...it is a baby Vegas and also by Sony...it is also quite
    powerful and easy to learn - and if you ever et serious and get Vegas
    you will ease into Vegas quicker coming from Movie Studio.
    Get a fast CPU and at least 1 gig of memory ( 2 is even better ) You
    will need a separate large hard drive- external fire wire is usually
    good... and a Contour Shuttle device makes things easier...
    Glenn M

    A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

Homebuilt Computer Motherboards Systems