MicroStar 6183 motherboard HD max size?

David

I have a Tiny PC with a MS-6183 version 1 motherboard running Windows
XP Pro.
The hard drive is 17gig, and I want to fit a bigger drive.
The MicroStar website does not know this model motherboard, so does
anyone know what max size can be fitted?
I would like to fit a 200 gig if possible, so advice would be welcome
before I buy a new drive.
Thanks
David

David wrote:

> I have a Tiny PC with a MS-6183 version 1 motherboard running Windows
> XP Pro.
> The hard drive is 17gig, and I want to fit a bigger drive.
> The MicroStar website does not know this model motherboard, so does
> anyone know what max size can be fitted?
> I would like to fit a 200 gig if possible, so advice would be welcome
> before I buy a new drive.
> Thanks
> David

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=119

I don't see the issue mentioned but since the last BIOS update is
2000-3-30, and it's an 810(e) chipset, I'd say you're likely to have
problems with drives over 137 Gig.

David

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10hu6a4h27a7925@corp.supernews.com>...
> David wrote:
>
> > I have a Tiny PC with a MS-6183 version 1 motherboard running Windows
> > XP Pro.
> > The hard drive is 17gig, and I want to fit a bigger drive.
> > The MicroStar website does not know this model motherboard, so does
> > anyone know what max size can be fitted?
> > I would like to fit a 200 gig if possible, so advice would be welcome
> > before I buy a new drive.
> > Thanks
> > David
>
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=119
>
> I don't see the issue mentioned but since the last BIOS update is
> 2000-3-30, and it's an 810(e) chipset, I'd say you're likely to have
> problems with drives over 137 Gig.

Thanks for the info. I have seen other comments about a possible 137
gig limit, so I am going for a 120 gig to be safe (hopefully !!)

David

You're sure about that MicroStar? As I've seen that Matsonic uses about that
same numbering scheme for their motherboards....
(MS-6137 ....)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"David" <vectraman18@tiscali.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä
> I have a Tiny PC with a MS-6183 version 1 motherboard running Windows
> XP Pro.
> The hard drive is 17gig, and I want to fit a bigger drive.
> The MicroStar website does not know this model motherboard, so does
> anyone know what max size can be fitted?
> I would like to fit a 200 gig if possible, so advice would be welcome
> before I buy a new drive.
> Thanks
> David

David

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<41214019$1_2@news.dnainternet.net>...
> You're sure about that MicroStar? As I've seen that Matsonic uses about that
> same numbering scheme for their motherboards....
> (MS-6137 ....)
>
> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>
> "David" <vectraman18@tiscali.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä
> > I have a Tiny PC with a MS-6183 version 1 motherboard running Windows
> > XP Pro.
> > The hard drive is 17gig, and I want to fit a bigger drive.
> > The MicroStar website does not know this model motherboard, so does
> > anyone know what max size can be fitted?
> > I would like to fit a 200 gig if possible, so advice would be welcome
> > before I buy a new drive.
> > Thanks
> > David

Yes, it is a Microstar 6183 for certain.

I installed a 120Gb Maxtor and found that the BIOS autodetected only
32Gb, so I went to the Maxtor website and read about the problem in
their Knowledgebase.
The answer it seemed was to use their Maxblast utility to install and
format the new drive.

I downloaded and ran Maxblast, and it produced a boot floppy which is
then used to do all the work for you, as long as you follow their
instructions.

The BIOS HD autodetect still gives much less than the correct size,
but the full 120Gb is visible with "My Computer" and "Windows
Explorer", so I now run a 20Gb WinXP partition and 100Gb storage
partition.

David