Upgrade an old box- advice requested

BP

I have an old PC that I want to upgrade within a few constraints. I want to
run W98SE on it, want to replace as few parts as possible(MB+CPU, Memory,
Video Card, 1HDD), for as little $ as possible, and go as fast as possible.
The idea is to make an old box better, not build a new system (did that
already- it replaced this PII).
Current system: PII 300, Biostar M6TLA, 192MB 100/133 RAM, Diamond
FireGL1000Pro APG , Seagate 6GB, 2003 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus8 30GB -
7200RPM, Ensoniq AudioPCI S5016, Zoom M#2822 ISA modem, Sony Spressa CD-RW,
Iomega Zip100, Mag 720V monitor, FDD.
W98SE has a few limitations that I am aware of: doesn't handle
hyperthreading/dual processors, 512GB memory limit, 64GB FDisk limit (easy
fix). I want to put together a rock solid package of components that work
well together and will run together with W98 "out of the box" (minimal
tweaking). I realize that most of the parts will need to be discontinued and
from resellers or EBay, but I would like to find stuff that is still "new in
the box" or "new in the bag " for OEM parts. No used parts. I don't care if
it's WinTel or AMD based.
What would you suggest for a MB-Processor-Video Card package? I'd be
particularly interested in configurations someone currently has that is
running smooth and steady.
Also: I'd like to keep the ISA Hardware modem. How to do that on a newer
board?
Thanks in Advance.

"BP" <replytoall@dufus.net> wrote in message
> I have an old PC that I want to upgrade within a few constraints. I want
> run W98SE on it, want to replace as few parts as possible(MB+CPU, Memory,
> Video Card, 1HDD), for as little $ as possible, and go as fast as
possible.
> The idea is to make an old box better, not build a new system (did that
> already- it replaced this PII).
> Current system: PII 300, Biostar M6TLA, 192MB 100/133 RAM, Diamond
> FireGL1000Pro APG , Seagate 6GB, 2003 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus8 30GB -
> 7200RPM, Ensoniq AudioPCI S5016, Zoom M#2822 ISA modem, Sony Spressa
CD-RW,
> Iomega Zip100, Mag 720V monitor, FDD.
> W98SE has a few limitations that I am aware of: doesn't handle
> hyperthreading/dual processors, 512GB memory limit, 64GB FDisk limit (easy
> fix). I want to put together a rock solid package of components that work
> well together and will run together with W98 "out of the box" (minimal
> tweaking). I realize that most of the parts will need to be discontinued
and
> from resellers or EBay, but I would like to find stuff that is still "new
in
> the box" or "new in the bag " for OEM parts. No used parts. I don't care
if
> it's WinTel or AMD based.
> What would you suggest for a MB-Processor-Video Card package? I'd be
> particularly interested in configurations someone currently has that is
> running smooth and steady.
> Also: I'd like to keep the ISA Hardware modem. How to do that on a newer
> board?
> Thanks in Advance.

A Software modem is only a problem on a slow system, or if you want to run
linux (even then, some software modems work well). Your goal is to make the
system faster and run W98SE. If you succeed in that goal, you will gain
nothing by using the ISA hardware modem as opposed to replacing it with (for
example) a PCI HSF modem. Plus, if you insist on a mainboard with an ISA
slot, then that practically guarantees you that you will have nothing
worthwhile to upgrade to. That is, to upgrade from PII to something
*significantly* faster would be practically impossible to do in a
motherboard with an ISA slot.

Also, if you are replacing m/b, cpu, hard drive, memory and video card, you
have just built a new system!!! The one thing I would caution you about
though, is NOT to use an old power supply. Power supplies and floppy drives
are the most common failure points in any computer system. You don't need a
floppy drive necessarily, but all computers have a power supply. When the
power supply fails, it can take other components with it. It is NOT a good
idea to gamble by recycling an old power supply (more than 2 years old) for
a new system.

You could spend the next couple of weeks researching old components and
trying to find "new" old components off ebay or other sources. It would be
a heckuva lot easier (and maybe less expensive) to just buy a cheap
bare-bones system. I mean, if you do it RIGHT, you will need case, power
supply, mainboard, CPU, RAM. That right there is a barebone system. Your
30GB hard drive should do as a Win98SE drive, add a second drive for
apps/extra storage. (throw away the 6GB Seagate drive) Check out the
following from www.mwave.com, starting with an mwave black barebone
ystem -Dave

SKU Qty Item Unit Price Ext. Price
YB03 -BA14423 -BA19906 -BA03057-BA13301 -BA08582 - - AMD ATHLON XP
SYSTEMS (BLACK)
Details (ENLIGHT 7250B; BIOSTAR M7NCD-400; AMD XP 2000+(266Mhz); MWAVE 256MB
DDR400; NO FDD / CARD READER; NO CDROM, CDRW OR DVD) $196.00 $196.00

AA14840 USR 56K V.90 INTERNAL PCI FAX MODEM FOR WINDOWS #3090 (White
box) Details $14.90 $14.90

AA23130 AOPEN GEFORCE FX5200TD 128MB DDR 8XAGP W/TV Details $54.00
$54.00
Sub Total $264.90

begin 666 blank.gif
M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)$``````/_______P```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```("
$5 $`.P``
`
end

jk

BP wrote:

> I have an old PC that I want to upgrade within a few constraints. I want to
> run W98SE on it, want to replace as few parts as possible(MB+CPU, Memory,
> Video Card, 1HDD), for as little $ as possible, and go as fast as possible.
> The idea is to make an old box better, not build a new system (did that
> already- it replaced this PII).
> Current system: PII 300, Biostar M6TLA, 192MB 100/133 RAM, Diamond
> FireGL1000Pro APG , Seagate 6GB, 2003 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus8 30GB -
> 7200RPM, Ensoniq AudioPCI S5016, Zoom M#2822 ISA modem, Sony Spressa CD-RW,
> Iomega Zip100, Mag 720V monitor, FDD.
> W98SE has a few limitations that I am aware of: doesn't handle
> hyperthreading/dual processors, 512GB memory limit, 64GB FDisk limit (easy
> fix). I want to put together a rock solid package of components that work
> well together and will run together with W98 "out of the box" (minimal
> tweaking). I realize that most of the parts will need to be discontinued and
> from resellers or EBay, but I would like to find stuff that is still "new in
> the box" or "new in the bag " for OEM parts. No used parts. I don't care if
> it's WinTel or AMD based.
> What would you suggest for a MB-Processor-Video Card package? I'd be
> particularly interested in configurations someone currently has that is
> running smooth and steady.
> Also: I'd like to keep the ISA Hardware modem. How to do that on a newer
> board?

I did not find any new low priced motherboards that have ISA slots and take
a modern processor. I found some for a P3, however I guess you don't
want a P3 processor. I found a $185 motherboard for a P4 with
ISA slots. You could try looking on Ebay for something used, or you
could abandon your modem and get a new PCI hardware modem.
(They aren't that expensive now. I found this one for example. Only $28
http://www.logicalplus.com/co56kpcicoba.html )

You can get an Athlon XP 2600+ and a motherboard with an nForce 2
chipset for around $100. You didn't mention what your power supply
is. You would also need new ram.

> Thanks in Advance.

BP

Thanks for the info and links. Yes, let's forget about the ISA slot. Too
bad. It's the best damned modem I've used. Zoom still sells em new!
I know I need a PS, as well as some other peripherals, but I just want to
see what core components I can/should look for. A p4 processor alone would
max out the 250W PS that's in the PII box! This is a hobby project. I'm not
planning to start anything till this winter so I got plenty of time to shop
around. And I know I could buy something off the shelf, but what fun is
that? I'm looking for MB-Processor-Video Card combination suggestions that
fit the bill. A p4 or AthlonXP setup that's on the clearance shelf and not
too much for 98 to handle. I can figure out the rest of the parts (PS,
memory, HDD) for myself.

"BP" <replytoall@dufus.net> wrote in message
> I have an old PC that I want to upgrade within a few constraints. I want
> run W98SE on it, want to replace as few parts as possible(MB+CPU, Memory,
> Video Card, 1HDD), for as little $ as possible, and go as fast as
possible.
> The idea is to make an old box better, not build a new system (did that
> already- it replaced this PII).
> Current system: PII 300, Biostar M6TLA, 192MB 100/133 RAM, Diamond
> FireGL1000Pro APG , Seagate 6GB, 2003 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus8 30GB -
> 7200RPM, Ensoniq AudioPCI S5016, Zoom M#2822 ISA modem, Sony Spressa
CD-RW,
> Iomega Zip100, Mag 720V monitor, FDD.
> W98SE has a few limitations that I am aware of: doesn't handle
> hyperthreading/dual processors, 512GB memory limit, 64GB FDisk limit (easy
> fix). I want to put together a rock solid package of components that work
> well together and will run together with W98 "out of the box" (minimal
> tweaking). I realize that most of the parts will need to be discontinued
and
> from resellers or EBay, but I would like to find stuff that is still "new
in
> the box" or "new in the bag " for OEM parts. No used parts. I don't care
if
> it's WinTel or AMD based.
> What would you suggest for a MB-Processor-Video Card package? I'd be
> particularly interested in configurations someone currently has that is
> running smooth and steady.
> Also: I'd like to keep the ISA Hardware modem. How to do that on a newer
> board?
> Thanks in Advance.

jk

"Dave C." wrote:

> "BP" <replytoall@dufus.net> wrote in message
> > I have an old PC that I want to upgrade within a few constraints. I want
> > run W98SE on it, want to replace as few parts as possible(MB+CPU, Memory,
> > Video Card, 1HDD), for as little $ as possible, and go as fast as
> possible.
> > The idea is to make an old box better, not build a new system (did that
> > already- it replaced this PII).
> > Current system: PII 300, Biostar M6TLA, 192MB 100/133 RAM, Diamond
> > FireGL1000Pro APG , Seagate 6GB, 2003 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus8 30GB -
> > 7200RPM, Ensoniq AudioPCI S5016, Zoom M#2822 ISA modem, Sony Spressa
> CD-RW,
> > Iomega Zip100, Mag 720V monitor, FDD.
> > W98SE has a few limitations that I am aware of: doesn't handle
> > hyperthreading/dual processors, 512GB memory limit, 64GB FDisk limit (easy
> > fix). I want to put together a rock solid package of components that work
> > well together and will run together with W98 "out of the box" (minimal
> > tweaking). I realize that most of the parts will need to be discontinued
> and
> > from resellers or EBay, but I would like to find stuff that is still "new
> in
> > the box" or "new in the bag " for OEM parts. No used parts. I don't care
> if
> > it's WinTel or AMD based.
> > What would you suggest for a MB-Processor-Video Card package? I'd be
> > particularly interested in configurations someone currently has that is
> > running smooth and steady.
> > Also: I'd like to keep the ISA Hardware modem. How to do that on a newer
> > board?
> > Thanks in Advance.
> >

> A Software modem is only a problem on a slow system,

I disagree. A software modem is much more likely than a hardware modem
to get random disconnects, and will probably give much slower throughput
than a hardware modem. There are also chances for driver problems
with a software modem. I have had enough headaches with software
modems in the past to know that saving $10-20 by going with a
software modem isn't worth it.

> or if you want to run
> linux (even then, some software modems work well). Your goal is to make the
> system faster and run W98SE. If you succeed in that goal, you will gain
> nothing by using the ISA hardware modem as opposed to replacing it with (for
> example) a PCI HSF modem. Plus, if you insist on a mainboard with an ISA
> slot, then that practically guarantees you that you will have nothing
> worthwhile to upgrade to. That is, to upgrade from PII to something
> *significantly* faster would be practically impossible to do in a
> motherboard with an ISA slot.
>
> Also, if you are replacing m/b, cpu, hard drive,

His hard drive is fine

> memory and video card,

He might reuse his video card. He is reusing his OS, case, optical drives,
and floppy drive.

> you
> have just built a new system!!! The one thing I would caution you about
> though, is NOT to use an old power supply. Power supplies and floppy drives
> are the most common failure points in any computer system. You don't need a
> floppy drive necessarily, but all computers have a power supply. When the
> power supply fails, it can take other components with it. It is NOT a good
> idea to gamble by recycling an old power supply (more than 2 years old) for
> a new system.
>
> You could spend the next couple of weeks researching old components and
> trying to find "new" old components off ebay or other sources. It would be
> a heckuva lot easier (and maybe less expensive) to just buy a cheap
> bare-bones system. I mean, if you do it RIGHT, you will need case, power
> supply, mainboard, CPU, RAM. That right there is a barebone system. Your
> 30GB hard drive should do as a Win98SE drive, add a second drive for
> apps/extra storage. (throw away the 6GB Seagate drive) Check out the
> following from www.mwave.com, starting with an mwave black barebone
> ystem -Dave
>
> SKU Qty Item Unit Price Ext. Price
> YB03 -BA14423 -BA19906 -BA03057-BA13301 -BA08582 - - AMD ATHLON XP
> SYSTEMS (BLACK)
> Details (ENLIGHT 7250B; BIOSTAR M7NCD-400; AMD XP 2000+(266Mhz); MWAVE 256MB

Why the 2000+? The 2600+ probably now provides the best bang for the buck
of the Athlon XP chips.

> DDR400; NO FDD / CARD READER; NO CDROM, CDRW OR DVD) $196.00 $196.00
>
> AA14840 USR 56K V.90 INTERNAL PCI FAX MODEM FOR WINDOWS #3090 (White
> box) Details $14.90 $14.90

I suggest a PCI hardware modem.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:02:30 -0400, "BP" <replytoall@dufus.net> wrote:

>>>Thanks for the info and links. Yes, let's forget about the ISA slot. Too
>>>bad. It's the best damned modem I've used. Zoom still sells em new!

<<<SNIP>>>

Try looking at a DFI motherboard, specifically an AM75-EC or AM75-TC

They have one ISA slot, 5 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot. Been using the TC
board for over a year now and no problems so far.

--
The Seabat

> Why the 2000+? The 2600+ probably now provides the best bang for the buck
> of the Athlon XP chips.

You're probably right on that, but the OP said he was looking to save money.
An XP 2000+ is a pretty significant upgrade from a PII . . . there is
certainly no need to spend more money than that. -Dave

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:09:54 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

>BP wrote:
>
>> I have an old PC that I want to upgrade within a few constraints. I want to
>> run W98SE on it, want to replace as few parts as possible(MB+CPU, Memory,
>> Video Card, 1HDD), for as little $ as possible, and go as fast as possible.
>> The idea is to make an old box better, not build a new system (did that
>> already- it replaced this PII).
>> Current system: PII 300, Biostar M6TLA, 192MB 100/133 RAM, Diamond
>> FireGL1000Pro APG , Seagate 6GB, 2003 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus8 30GB -
>> 7200RPM, Ensoniq AudioPCI S5016, Zoom M#2822 ISA modem, Sony Spressa CD-RW,
>> Iomega Zip100, Mag 720V monitor, FDD.
>> W98SE has a few limitations that I am aware of: doesn't handle
>> hyperthreading/dual processors, 512GB memory limit, 64GB FDisk limit (easy
>> fix). I want to put together a rock solid package of components that work
>> well together and will run together with W98 "out of the box" (minimal
>> tweaking). I realize that most of the parts will need to be discontinued and
>> from resellers or EBay, but I would like to find stuff that is still "new in
>> the box" or "new in the bag " for OEM parts. No used parts. I don't care if
>> it's WinTel or AMD based.
>> What would you suggest for a MB-Processor-Video Card package? I'd be
>> particularly interested in configurations someone currently has that is
>> running smooth and steady.
>> Also: I'd like to keep the ISA Hardware modem. How to do that on a newer
>> board?
>
>I did not find any new low priced motherboards that have ISA slots and take
>a modern processor. I found some for a P3, however I guess you don't
>want a P3 processor. I found a $185 motherboard for a P4 with
>ISA slots. You could try looking on Ebay for something used, or you
>could abandon your modem and get a new PCI hardware modem.
>(They aren't that expensive now. I found this one for example. Only $28
>http://www.logicalplus.com/co56kpcicoba.html )
>
>You can get an Athlon XP 2600+ and a motherboard with an nForce 2
>chipset for around $100. You didn't mention what your power supply
>is. You would also need new ram.
>

>> Thanks in Advance.

You can go to ebay, buy a p3 motherboard that usually has isa slots,
cpu near 1ghz and 512 mgs of memory for about $100. I just did the
research yesterday since I want to upgrade the motherboard on a second
computer that I use for storage and dvd viewing. I'm probably going
to keep my p3 machine for at least another year since the upgrade for
p4 with 1ghz of memory, 3.2 ghz processor and fairly good motherboard
will cost nearly $700.

jk

nubis wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:09:54 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:
>

> >BP wrote:
> >
> >> I have an old PC that I want to upgrade within a few constraints. I want to
> >> run W98SE on it, want to replace as few parts as possible(MB+CPU, Memory,
> >> Video Card, 1HDD), for as little $ as possible, and go as fast as possible.
> >> The idea is to make an old box better, not build a new system (did that
> >> already- it replaced this PII).
> >> Current system: PII 300, Biostar M6TLA, 192MB 100/133 RAM, Diamond
> >> FireGL1000Pro APG , Seagate 6GB, 2003 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus8 30GB -
> >> 7200RPM, Ensoniq AudioPCI S5016, Zoom M#2822 ISA modem, Sony Spressa CD-RW,
> >> Iomega Zip100, Mag 720V monitor, FDD.
> >> W98SE has a few limitations that I am aware of: doesn't handle
> >> hyperthreading/dual processors, 512GB memory limit, 64GB FDisk limit (easy
> >> fix). I want to put together a rock solid package of components that work
> >> well together and will run together with W98 "out of the box" (minimal
> >> tweaking). I realize that most of the parts will need to be discontinued and
> >> from resellers or EBay, but I would like to find stuff that is still "new in
> >> the box" or "new in the bag " for OEM parts. No used parts. I don't care if
> >> it's WinTel or AMD based.
> >> What would you suggest for a MB-Processor-Video Card package? I'd be
> >> particularly interested in configurations someone currently has that is
> >> running smooth and steady.
> >> Also: I'd like to keep the ISA Hardware modem. How to do that on a newer
> >> board?
> >
> >I did not find any new low priced motherboards that have ISA slots and take
> >a modern processor. I found some for a P3, however I guess you don't
> >want a P3 processor. I found a $185 motherboard for a P4 with
> >ISA slots. You could try looking on Ebay for something used, or you
> >could abandon your modem and get a new PCI hardware modem.
> >(They aren't that expensive now. I found this one for example. Only $28
> >http://www.logicalplus.com/co56kpcicoba.html )
> >
> >You can get an Athlon XP 2600+ and a motherboard with an nForce 2
> >chipset for around $100. You didn't mention what your power supply
> >is. You would also need new ram.
> >

> >> Thanks in Advance.
>
> You can go to ebay, buy a p3

It seems silly to upgrade to a P3.

> motherboard that usually has isa slots,
> cpu near 1ghz and 512 mgs of memory for about $100. I just did the
> research yesterday since I want to upgrade the motherboard on a second
> computer that I use for storage and dvd viewing. I'm probably going
> to keep my p3 machine for at least another year since the upgrade for
> p4 with 1ghz of memory, 3.2 ghz processor and fairly good motherboard
> will cost nearly $700.

One can upgrade to an Athlon XP 2600+ and a new motherboard for
around $100. Most people don't need a gig of ram, and 512 meg
PC 3200 DDR ram only around $70.

> You can go to ebay, buy a p3 motherboard that usually has isa slots,
> cpu near 1ghz and 512 mgs of memory for about $100. I just did the
> research yesterday since I want to upgrade the motherboard on a second
> computer that I use for storage and dvd viewing. I'm probably going
> to keep my p3 machine for at least another year since the upgrade for
> p4 with 1ghz of memory, 3.2 ghz processor and fairly good motherboard
> will cost nearly $700.

Set your sights just a little lower and you can get virtually identical
performance for half that. Good 800FSB P4 motherboards start around $50,
you can get a P4 ~3.0 Prescott for about $200 and 512MB of DDR400 RAM should
bring you in at less than $350. -Dave

jk

"Dave C." wrote:

> > You can go to ebay, buy a p3 motherboard that usually has isa slots,
> > cpu near 1ghz and 512 mgs of memory for about $100. I just did the
> > research yesterday since I want to upgrade the motherboard on a second
> > computer that I use for storage and dvd viewing. I'm probably going
> > to keep my p3 machine for at least another year since the upgrade for
> > p4 with 1ghz of memory, 3.2 ghz processor and fairly good motherboard
> > will cost nearly $700.
>
> Set your sights just a little lower and you can get virtually identical
> performance for half that. Good 800FSB P4 motherboards start around $50,
> you can get a P4 ~3.0 Prescott for about $200

An Athlon 64 3000+ is only around $160. That would be a much better choice
than a 32 bit Pentium 4. If you want to buy a 32 bit processor, then pick an
Athlon XP that is under $100. Otherwise pick an Athlon 64 64 bit processor.
Imo it doesn't make sense to spend much more than $100 for a processor
that is only 32 bit. Windows 64 bit will be out early next year.

"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

> "Dave C." wrote:
>
> > > You can go to ebay, buy a p3 motherboard that usually has isa slots,
> > > cpu near 1ghz and 512 mgs of memory for about $100. I just did the
> > > research yesterday since I want to upgrade the motherboard on a second
> > > computer that I use for storage and dvd viewing. I'm probably going
> > > to keep my p3 machine for at least another year since the upgrade for
> > > p4 with 1ghz of memory, 3.2 ghz processor and fairly good motherboard
> > > will cost nearly $700.
> >
> > Set your sights just a little lower and you can get virtually identical
> > performance for half that. Good 800FSB P4 motherboards start around
$50,
> > you can get a P4 ~3.0 Prescott for about $200
>
> An Athlon 64 3000+ is only around $160. That would be a much better choice
> than a 32 bit Pentium 4. If you want to buy a 32 bit processor, then pick
an
> Athlon XP that is under $100. Otherwise pick an Athlon 64 64 bit
processor.
> Imo it doesn't make sense to spend much more than $100 for a processor
> that is only 32 bit. Windows 64 bit will be out early next year.
>
> > and 512MB of DDR400 RAM should
> > bring you in at less than $350. -Dave

Just wondering JK, what are you running?

MC

jk

Moderately Confused wrote:

> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

> > > Set your sights just a little lower and you can get virtually identical
> > > performance for half that. Good 800FSB P4 motherboards start around
> $50,
> > > you can get a P4 ~3.0 Prescott for about $200
> >
> > An Athlon 64 3000+ is only around $160. That would be a much better choice
> > than a 32 bit Pentium 4. If you want to buy a 32 bit processor, then pick
> an
> > Athlon XP that is under $100. Otherwise pick an Athlon 64 64 bit
> processor.
> > Imo it doesn't make sense to spend much more than $100 for a processor
> > that is only 32 bit. Windows 64 bit will be out early next year.
> >
> > > and 512MB of DDR400 RAM should
> > > bring you in at less than $350. -Dave
>
> Just wondering JK, what are you running?

I am using an Athlon XP. I run mostly applications that don't use
much bandwidth. For my next upgrade, I will probably choose an
Athlon 64. At the moment, I don't feel a need to upgrade.

"BP" <replytoall@dufus.net> said:

> I have an old PC that I want to upgrade within a few constraints. I
> want to run W98SE on it, want to replace as few parts as
> possible(MB+CPU, Memory, Video Card, 1HDD), for as little $ as
> possible, and go as fast as possible. The idea is to make an old box
> better, not build a new system (did that already- it replaced this
> PII).

> Current system: PII 300, Biostar M6TLA, 192MB 100/133 RAM

There isn't much farther to go with this combo... the Biostar only
supports up to PII 333mhz or Celeron 533Mhz. You could look for an older
socket A motherboard and buy a Duron, then you can reuse your memory and
gain a signficant performance boost.

> Diamond FireGL1000Pro APG

If you don't play games, keep the FireGL, If you do play games then a
Geforce3Ti or Geforce4Ti would be a good upgrade. (shameless plug: I
have a GF4 Ti4200 for sale)

> Seagate 6GB, 2003 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus8 30GB - 7200RPM

Keep

> Ensoniq AudioPCI S5016

If you're sticking with Win98, the Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500 would be a
cheap significant upgrade, the Aureal cards won't work with XP however.
http://search.ebay.com/Aureal_Other

> Zoom M#2822 ISA modem, Sony
> Spressa CD-RW, Iomega Zip100, Mag 720V monitor, FDD.

Keep

> What would you suggest for a MB-Processor-Video Card package?

some random auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42010&item=
3495754451 (I used to own this same model of motherboard)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15920&item=
3495501988

Check feedback carefully and I suggest only buying from those who have
99% or better.

> Also: I'd like to keep the ISA Hardware modem. How to do that on a
> newer board?

What Dave said... forget about the ISA modem. It will limit your choices
too much.
--
Mac Cool

BP wrote:

> Thanks for the info and links. Yes, let's forget about the ISA slot. Too
> bad. It's the best damned modem I've used. Zoom still sells em new!
> I know I need a PS, as well as some other peripherals, but I just want to
> see what core components I can/should look for. A p4 processor alone would
> max out the 250W PS that's in the PII box! This is a hobby project. I'm not
> planning to start anything till this winter so I got plenty of time to shop
> around. And I know I could buy something off the shelf, but what fun is
> that? I'm looking for MB-Processor-Video Card combination suggestions that
> fit the bill. A p4 or AthlonXP setup that's on the clearance shelf and not
> too much for 98 to handle. I can figure out the rest of the parts (PS,
> memory, HDD) for myself.

Wow. When you said 'upgrade' the 'box' you really did mean that the 'box'
was just about all you'd reuse ;)

> "BP" <replytoall@dufus.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have an old PC that I want to upgrade within a few constraints. I want

>>run W98SE on it, want to replace as few parts as possible(MB+CPU, Memory,
>>Video Card, 1HDD), for as little $ as possible, and go as fast as
>
> possible.
>
>>The idea is to make an old box better, not build a new system (did that
>>already- it replaced this PII).
>>Current system: PII 300, Biostar M6TLA, 192MB 100/133 RAM, Diamond
>>FireGL1000Pro APG , Seagate 6GB, 2003 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus8 30GB -
>>7200RPM, Ensoniq AudioPCI S5016, Zoom M#2822 ISA modem, Sony Spressa
>
> CD-RW,
>
>>Iomega Zip100, Mag 720V monitor, FDD.
>>W98SE has a few limitations that I am aware of: doesn't handle
>>hyperthreading/dual processors, 512GB memory limit, 64GB FDisk limit (easy
>>fix). I want to put together a rock solid package of components that work
>>well together and will run together with W98 "out of the box" (minimal
>>tweaking). I realize that most of the parts will need to be discontinued
>
> and
>
>>from resellers or EBay, but I would like to find stuff that is still "new
>
> in
>
>>the box" or "new in the bag " for OEM parts. No used parts. I don't care
>
> if
>
>>it's WinTel or AMD based.
>>What would you suggest for a MB-Processor-Video Card package? I'd be
>>particularly interested in configurations someone currently has that is
>>running smooth and steady.
>>Also: I'd like to keep the ISA Hardware modem. How to do that on a newer
>>board?
>>Thanks in Advance.

BP

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> BP wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the info and links. Yes, let's forget about the ISA slot. Too
> > bad. It's the best damned modem I've used. Zoom still sells em new!
> > I know I need a PS, as well as some other peripherals, but I just want
> > see what core components I can/should look for. A p4 processor alone
would
> > max out the 250W PS that's in the PII box! This is a hobby project. I'm
not
> > planning to start anything till this winter so I got plenty of time to
shop
> > around. And I know I could buy something off the shelf, but what fun is
> > that? I'm looking for MB-Processor-Video Card combination suggestions
that
> > fit the bill. A p4 or AthlonXP setup that's on the clearance shelf and
not
> > too much for 98 to handle. I can figure out the rest of the parts (PS,
> > memory, HDD) for myself.
>
> Wow. When you said 'upgrade' the 'box' you really did mean that the 'box'
> was just about all you'd reuse ;)

Aw, come on now! I'm going to reuse SOME of the parts! The sound card, one
HDD, CD burner, Zip drive, and floppy. And the screws!

BP wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>BP wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks for the info and links. Yes, let's forget about the ISA slot. Too
>>>bad. It's the best damned modem I've used. Zoom still sells em new!
>>>I know I need a PS, as well as some other peripherals, but I just want

>>>see what core components I can/should look for. A p4 processor alone
>
> would
>
>>>max out the 250W PS that's in the PII box! This is a hobby project. I'm
>
> not
>
>>>planning to start anything till this winter so I got plenty of time to
>
> shop
>
>>>around. And I know I could buy something off the shelf, but what fun is
>>>that? I'm looking for MB-Processor-Video Card combination suggestions
>
> that
>
>>>fit the bill. A p4 or AthlonXP setup that's on the clearance shelf and
>
> not
>
>>>too much for 98 to handle. I can figure out the rest of the parts (PS,
>>>memory, HDD) for myself.
>>
>>Wow. When you said 'upgrade' the 'box' you really did mean that the 'box'
>>was just about all you'd reuse ;)
>

> Aw, come on now! I'm going to reuse SOME of the parts! The sound card, one
> HDD, CD burner, Zip drive, and floppy. And the screws!

Ah. Well, reusing the screws makes all the difference ;)

TRENDING THREADS