PC will post but not boot

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Arg. a simple CPU fan change has cost me lots of money and time.
Anyway,

Pending a memory upgrade , my brothers PC has an

AMD XP 2400+ running at 100FSB,

It will now post but it wont boot into windows. OR into my trusty Knoppix
CD (I have CDROM on the boot list)

mobo is ECS K7S5A. Any ideas?

--
Lordy

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Try clearing the CMOS. Use the jumper, or remove the battery.
I bought that mb a couple of years ago thinking it was nice and cheap and it
took both SDRAM or DDR. I'd be all set for newer RAM upgrade whenever I got
tired of the SDRAM. Then last year strange things started happening, such as
I'd have to reset the bios settings to get it to boot. It kept losing them.
So, I replaced the battery. That worked for a week. The battery was fine,
but for some unknown reason the mb would not hold them. Then I started
reading how other folks were having the same problem. Last spring I threw
the board into the trash can and replaced it with an MSI.

When I read the name K7S5A my hair stands on end.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"lordy" <spam_box@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Arg. a simple CPU fan change has cost me lots of money and time.
> Anyway,
>
> Pending a memory upgrade , my brothers PC has an
>
> AMD XP 2400+ running at 100FSB,
>
> It will now post but it wont boot into windows. OR into my trusty Knoppix
> CD (I have CDROM on the boot list)
>
> mobo is ECS K7S5A. Any ideas?
>

> --
> Lordy

jad

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Wasn't there a therapy group started for users of ECS boards? 12 step
program

lordy wrote:

> Arg. a simple CPU fan change has cost me lots of money and time.
> Anyway,
>
> Pending a memory upgrade , my brothers PC has an
>
> AMD XP 2400+ running at 100FSB,
>
> It will now post but it wont boot into windows. OR into my trusty Knoppix
> CD (I have CDROM on the boot list)
>
> mobo is ECS K7S5A. Any ideas?

Well, I'd say it lost it's CMOS settings, which is situation normal for the
K7S5A, because the FSB being 100MHz is wrong, but the default value.

FSB should be 133 for an XP 2400+.

When you say it doesn't 'boot' into windows, how far does it get? The
common problem is IRQs not what windows was installed with, like installing
with APIC enabled and now it's not, or vice versa. Don't forget to set
date/time too.

You didn't say what the problem with KNOPPIX was either but DSL linux,
which is derived from KNOPPIX, fails with 'error: only one CPU found' if
APIC is enabled. Hitting F2 boot options and starting it with 'no APIC'
usually works.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

money you could have spent on a better board

"lordy" <spam_box@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Arg. a simple CPU fan change has cost me lots of money and time.
> Anyway,
>
> Pending a memory upgrade , my brothers PC has an
>
> AMD XP 2400+ running at 100FSB,
>
> It will now post but it wont boot into windows. OR into my trusty Knoppix
> CD (I have CDROM on the boot list)
>
> mobo is ECS K7S5A. Any ideas?
>

> --
> Lordy

jaster

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:27:09 +0000, lordy while doing time wrote:

> Arg. a simple CPU fan change has cost me lots of money and time.
> Anyway,
>
> Pending a memory upgrade , my brothers PC has an
>
> AMD XP 2400+ running at 100FSB,
>
> It will now post but it wont boot into windows. OR into my trusty Knoppix
> CD (I have CDROM on the boot list)
>
> mobo is ECS K7S5A. Any ideas?

My K7S5A has been up and running for about 18 mo. now. Memtest86 the
memory and try booting the board using another PSU. I've had both fail
at different times causing the no boot. Also, a badly installed pci or
agp card will cause similar problems.

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"lordy" <spam_box@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Arg. a simple CPU fan change has cost me lots of money and time.

I think I blew an 850 playing around with fans. But after buying another, I
then noticed I hadn't put any memory in the board either, so I'm not sure
now (never fart about with your PC at 3am just because you can't sleep).

> Anyway,
>
> Pending a memory upgrade , my brothers PC has an
>
> AMD XP 2400+ running at 100FSB,
>
> It will now post but it wont boot into windows. OR into my trusty Knoppix
> CD (I have CDROM on the boot list)
>
> mobo is ECS K7S5A. Any ideas?

As others have said, run the CPU at the right FSB, if only because otherwise
what's the point?

What actually happens once it's past POST? Does it restart, hang, beep, wave
a banner of protest whilst chanting?

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Stuffed" <talking@rse.non> wrote in

>> Anyway,
>>
>> Pending a memory upgrade , my brothers PC has an
>>
>> AMD XP 2400+ running at 100FSB,
>>
>> It will now post but it wont boot into windows. OR into my trusty
>> Knoppix CD (I have CDROM on the boot list)
>>
>> mobo is ECS K7S5A. Any ideas?
>
> As others have said, run the CPU at the right FSB, if only because
> otherwise what's the point?

Its all OK(ish) now. Thanks to all. BIOS reset did the trick.

Even though it was PC2100 It was crucial memory and appears to be happy
at 133(266). SiSoft Sandra reports it as 133 capable at a lower CAS
rating. Will do a memtest soon :)

> What actually happens once it's past POST? Does it restart, hang,
> beep, wave a banner of protest whilst chanting?

It just stopped. But see above. Sorry for lack of info. I should know
better :) But after taking mooney out my pocket I was a little peed
off...

FWIW K7S5A you gets what you paid for. If it works - all good. If it
doesnt - bin it.. do not pass go etc. etc. :)

--
Lordy

lordy wrote:
> "Stuffed" <talking@rse.non> wrote in
>

>>>Anyway,
>>>
>>>Pending a memory upgrade , my brothers PC has an
>>>
>>>AMD XP 2400+ running at 100FSB,
>>>
>>>It will now post but it wont boot into windows. OR into my trusty
>>>Knoppix CD (I have CDROM on the boot list)
>>>
>>>mobo is ECS K7S5A. Any ideas?
>>
>>As others have said, run the CPU at the right FSB, if only because
>>otherwise what's the point?
>>

> Its all OK(ish) now. Thanks to all. BIOS reset did the trick.
>
> Even though it was PC2100 It was crucial memory and appears to be happy
> at 133(266). SiSoft Sandra reports it as 133 capable at a lower CAS
> rating. Will do a memtest soon :)

It should be fine as PC2100 *is* the 133MHz FSB rating.

You can get the FSB MHz by dividing the 'data rate' rating by 16.
2100/16=131.25, which is 133MHz FSB (because they rounded off the 2100).

PC2700 is 166 Mhz FSB, etc.

The 16 comes from the bus being 64 bit wide, which is 8 (8 bit) bytes.
Single data rate RAM, e.g. PC133, sends 8 bytes per cycle. DDR is double
data rate for 16 bytes per cycle. FSBx16=DDR bytes/sec.