Windows ME Temporarily Then Win XP- How?

I just bulit a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have Windows
XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over, so
I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
Windows XP.

I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it is
FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?

Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
Is it best to delete the partition first?

I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
then install, correct?

Thanks,
QZ

"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10hvosgj32euhac@corp.supernews.com...
> I just bulit a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have
Windows
> XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over,
so
> I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
> Windows XP.
>
> I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it
is
> FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?
>
> Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
> Is it best to delete the partition first?
>
> I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
> then install, correct?
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

ME is FAT32 and not NTSF. You can reformat to NTSF when you install XP
later.

Alan in Boise

"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10hvosgj32euhac@corp.supernews.com...
> I just bulit a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have
Windows
> XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over,
so
> I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
> Windows XP.
>
> I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it
is
> FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?
>
> Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
> Is it best to delete the partition first?
>
> I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
> then install, correct?

Also, it a WD Raptor SATA HDD, if that matters.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

"Alan W. Blackmon" <awblackmon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10hvosgj32euhac@corp.supernews.com...
> > I just bulit a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have
> Windows
> > XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over,
> so
> > I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
> > Windows XP.
> >
> > I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if
it
> is
> > FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?
> >
> > Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
> > Is it best to delete the partition first?
> >
> > I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the
CD,
> > then install, correct?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > QZ
> >

> ME is FAT32 and not NTSF. You can reformat to NTSF when you install XP
> later.
>
> Alan in Boise

ME is also a bootable CD, and will format the drive etc automatically.
Later when you install XP, you could do so over the top as an upgrade, or
choose to format the drive and start over - if you upgrade you can choose
FAT32 or NTFS.

Or you could leave it as a dual boot system.
Wayne