Windows ME Temporarily Then Win XP- How?

I just bulit a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have Windows
XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over, so
I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
Windows XP.

I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it is
FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?

Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
Is it best to delete the partition first?

I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
then install, correct?

Thanks,
QZ
4 answers Last reply
More about windows temporarily

    "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10hvosgj32euhac@corp.supernews.com...
    > I just bulit a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have
    Windows
    > XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over,
    so
    > I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it
    is
    > FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?
    >
    > Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
    > Is it best to delete the partition first?
    >
    > I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
    > then install, correct?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > QZ

    ME is FAT32 and not NTSF. You can reformat to NTSF when you install XP
    later.

    Alan in Boise

    "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10hvosgj32euhac@corp.supernews.com...
    > I just bulit a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have
    Windows
    > XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over,
    so
    > I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it
    is
    > FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?
    >
    > Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
    > Is it best to delete the partition first?
    >
    > I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
    > then install, correct?

    Also, it a WD Raptor SATA HDD, if that matters.

    "Alan W. Blackmon" <awblackmon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10hvosgj32euhac@corp.supernews.com...
    > > I just bulit a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have
    > Windows
    > > XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over,
    > so
    > > I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
    > > Windows XP.
    > >
    > > I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if
    it
    > is
    > > FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?
    > >
    > > Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
    > > Is it best to delete the partition first?
    > >
    > > I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the
    CD,
    > > then install, correct?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > QZ
    > >

    > ME is FAT32 and not NTSF. You can reformat to NTSF when you install XP
    > later.
    >
    > Alan in Boise

    ME is also a bootable CD, and will format the drive etc automatically.
    Later when you install XP, you could do so over the top as an upgrade, or
    choose to format the drive and start over - if you upgrade you can choose
    FAT32 or NTFS.

    Or you could leave it as a dual boot system.
    Wayne

    "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > "Alan W. Blackmon" <awblackmon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message
    > > > I just bulit a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have
    > > Windows
    > > > XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are
    over,
    > > so
    > > > I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
    > > > Windows XP.
    > > >
    > > > I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if
    > it
    > > is
    > > > FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install.
    Correct?

    > > > Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
    > > > Is it best to delete the partition first?
    > > >
    > > > I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the
    > CD,
    > > > then install, correct?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > QZ
    > > >

    > > ME is FAT32 and not NTSF. You can reformat to NTSF when you install XP
    > > later.
    > >
    > > Alan in Boise
    > >
    > ME is also a bootable CD, and will format the drive etc automatically.
    > Later when you install XP, you could do so over the top as an upgrade, or
    > choose to format the drive and start over - if you upgrade you can choose
    > FAT32 or NTFS.

Homebuilt Windows Me Partition Windows XP Systems