DVD/CD-printing in the USA

Hi all,

I'm surprised by comments that DVD/CD-print is disabled in the US.
(e.g. Canon iP4000 without CD printing option)

Is this true? Why? Due to which law or reasoning?

I don't knwo about such problems. However, here in Europe may printer
drivers are slower, bigger and crippled in order not to print anything
that will look like a bank note.

Regards
Martin

In article <slrncjoc08.c57.t-use@ID-685.user.individual.de>,
Martin Trautmann <t-use@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm surprised by comments that DVD/CD-print is disabled in the US.
> (e.g. Canon iP4000 without CD printing option)
>
> Is this true? Why? Due to which law or reasoning?
>
> I don't knwo about such problems. However, here in Europe may printer
> drivers are slower, bigger and crippled in order not to print anything
> that will look like a bank note.

I'm in the USA, and my Epson Stylus Photo R200 can print on CDs and
DVDs. There are several other Epsons that can do the same.

--
Gordon Alley <*>
<mailto:galley@texas.net>

"Martin Trautmann" <t-use@gmx.net> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> I'm surprised by comments that DVD/CD-print is disabled in the US.
> (e.g. Canon iP4000 without CD printing option)
>
> Is this true? Why? Due to which law or reasoning?
>
> I don't knwo about such problems. However, here in Europe may printer
> drivers are slower, bigger and crippled in order not to print anything
> that will look like a bank note.
>
> Regards
> Martin

I say ask the manufacturer. I also have a Epson R200.

Mike Skuczas

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:48:15 -0400, Michael Skuczas wrote:
> "Martin Trautmann" <t-use@gmx.net> wrote in message

> > I'm surprised by comments that DVD/CD-print is disabled in the US.
> > (e.g. Canon iP4000 without CD printing option)
> >
> > Is this true? Why? Due to which law or reasoning?
> >
> > I don't knwo about such problems. However, here in Europe may printer
> > drivers are slower, bigger and crippled in order not to print anything
> > that will look like a bank note.

> I say ask the manufacturer. I also have a Epson R200.

How/where? Canon is very good in hiding a common email address. Let's
see whether I'll get a reply on pr@cusa.canon.com

Regards
Martin

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:48:15 -0400, Michael Skuczas wrote:
> "Martin Trautmann" <t-use@gmx.net> wrote in message
> > I'm surprised by comments that DVD/CD-print is disabled in the US.
> > (e.g. Canon iP4000 without CD printing option)
> >
> > Is this true? Why? Due to which law or reasoning?

> I say ask the manufacturer.

I got exactly the answer that I expected:

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:43:55 -0400
From: Color Bubble Jet <colorbj@cits.canon.com>

The Canon USA models do not support printing on printable CD/DVDs.
Regrettably, we are not privy to any information regarding product or
accessories decisions made by marketing and corporate headquarters; for
this we apologize. If you have any further questions and comments,
please reply to this email message with the history included.

So they don't want to tell us why US models don't offer CD/DVD printing.

Regards
Martin