How to access program after new hard drive installed?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2004 1:33:07 AM

Friend just added another hard drive (C) and upgraded OS toXP.

Previous hard drive now slave (D)

He had a Calender program pre-installed (he had no installation CD) that he
now can't access after the upgrade.

How does he transfer the necessary files and program (and retain the data)
from D to C in order that the program will function as it did before?

Program details:-

Name: Corel Family & Friends Reminders

Command: CFFREM.EXE

list manager. Part of Corel Print House Magic

Thanks,

John

----------------
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2004 1:33:08 AM

"OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Friend just added another hard drive (C) and upgraded OS toXP.
>
> Previous hard drive now slave (D)
>
> He had a Calender program pre-installed (he had no installation CD) that
he
> now can't access after the upgrade.
>
> How does he transfer the necessary files and program (and retain the data)
> from D to C in order that the program will function as it did before?
>
> Program details:-
>
> Name: Corel Family & Friends Reminders
>
> Command: CFFREM.EXE

and
> list manager. Part of Corel Print House Magic
>

> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> ----------------

Unless the program is impossibly simple then it may well be inaccessible.
You see, almost all programs make registry changes and create folders and
suchlike stuff when they are installed and the registry that the system is
using now does not have the needed changes. A serious OS guru may well be
able to parse out the needed changes in the old registry and then make them
in the new registry but it isn't a straightforward task. Of course your
friend might get lucky -- he can just open up explorer and go to the
appropriate directory and double click on the executable and see what
happens. If it complains about missing files and such then the files can be
copied from the old disk to the new and placed in the expected places to see
what happens.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

"OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Friend just added another hard drive (C) and upgraded OS toXP.
>
> Previous hard drive now slave (D)
>
> He had a Calender program pre-installed (he had no installation CD) that
he
> now can't access after the upgrade.
>
> How does he transfer the necessary files and program (and retain the data)
> from D to C in order that the program will function as it did before?
>
> Program details:-
>
> Name: Corel Family & Friends Reminders
>
> Command: CFFREM.EXE

and
> list manager. Part of Corel Print House Magic
>

> Thanks,
>
> John
Well in hindsight he could have cloned his old c: drive onto the new one,
and then upgraded to XP - then all his programs should have worked. However,
in the situation now the only way would be to edit every shortcut, menu
entry, and registry Dword associated with the program to point to the D:
drive - not an easy task but I have done it before - funnily enough with
Corel and Adobe S/W after I mistakenly changed the partition letters around
in pre-XP days. Might be easier to find someone with the disk!
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2004 8:53:43 PM

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Friend just added another hard drive (C) and upgraded OS toXP.
> >
> > Previous hard drive now slave (D)
> >
> > He had a Calender program pre-installed (he had no installation CD) that
> he
> > now can't access after the upgrade.
> >
> > How does he transfer the necessary files and program (and retain the
data)
> > from D to C in order that the program will function as it did before?
> >
> > Program details:-
> >
> > Name: Corel Family & Friends Reminders
> >
> > Command: CFFREM.EXE

> and
> > list manager. Part of Corel Print House Magic
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> Well in hindsight he could have cloned his old c: drive onto the new one,
> and then upgraded to XP - then all his programs should have worked.
However,
> in the situation now the only way would be to edit every shortcut, menu
> entry, and registry Dword associated with the program to point to the D:
> drive - not an easy task but I have done it before - funnily enough with
> Corel and Adobe S/W after I mistakenly changed the partition letters
around
> in pre-XP days. Might be easier to find someone with the disk!
TVM for the help. I think I'll advise friend to leave well alone and get
another Reminders Program :-)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2004 3:34:14 AM

He would need the installation CD for the Calendar program to install it.

--
DaveW

!