D-Link switch problem.

adrianxw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Hej igen,

My router/switch arrived together with a NIC for my second machine. It works /to a certain extent/. I've not really changed anything inside the devices setup yet, I wanted to get it working first, all I've done is run through the basic setup wizard to set up the PPPoE etc.

The router seems okay in that both of the machines can send and receive email, and show web pages. It is the switch that is giving me a problem. If I look at the device diagnostics I can see the IP addresses the DHCP has allocated to the two machines. So I figured I'd be able to transfer files between them with, at least, ftp, but no. If I ping the "other" address it times out.

The machines are a generation apart in age, (2.53GHz P4 Win XP and 233MHz P2 Win95), but if they can both get out onto the net through the routers, I'm guessing the TCP/IP stacks are up and running.

Can anyone see why I can't ping/ftp/... ?

A second thing I've noticed is that when I'm surfing constantly, I get a good response. If I leave the machine for 15-20 minutes, the first page I call up takes an eternity, but after that is okay again.

Med venlig hilsen,
adrianxw<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by adrianxw on 03/28/03 10:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
1) Is the newer machine running XP? If so, is the firewall enabled?

2) The reason the 1st web access after an extended period of inactivity is the router is not set to keep the connection alive. So it is disconnecting after some period of time. That can be fixed in the router config.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

adrianxw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
>>> Is the newer machine running XP? If so, is the firewall enabled?

Yes and No. However, I do have ZoneAlarm's firewall running on both. I'll turn that off and see.

>>> So it is disconnecting after some period of time.

That had occurred to me, indeed, the "Internet Connected" box popped up once for no apparent reason, but browsing the admin interface, I couldn't see anything that looked like a time out.

If this is the case, then the machine is useless as I want to host our two websites here.

Med venlig hilsen,
adrianxw

adrianxw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Closing ZoneAlarm has cured the first problem.

I searched D-Link.com for info, but couldn't find anything, although in an article here, I saw that it could be done on a different model.

I have mailed the Danish support desk for advice. I agree it seems reasonable to be able to disable this, or at the very least, alter the timeout, but I can't find it. My English is reasonable I think, but I can't see anything that looks like it may be relevent on the admin screens. Perhaps the firmware I have is out of date, (wouldn't be the first time the hardware I buy here in Denmark is a release or two behind stuff I've bought from, say, England).

Med venlig hilsen,
adrianxw

adrianxw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
>>> what model is it?

Yes, I ordered a DI-704 with a printer port, but what actually turned up is a DI-804V without a port. If I can get this one working then I'll stick with it, if not, they can have it back and I'll try the other.

Med venlig hilsen,
adrianxw

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
it's on page 13 of the manual - the pull down list that says "idle times" - make it "no idle timeout"

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

adrianxw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Damn me! I have looked at that damn page, I don't know how many times yesterday and today, but it didn't strike me. Now you say it, so see I it! Manual I have is cd. In several languages but not Danish, have been using the admin interface.

I have changed it now. Hope that is it.

I have ftp'd between machines now, and have a /truly basic/ socket client/server exchanging character strings. Looks like ZoneAlarm was stopping me there.

Med venlig hilsen,
adrianxw