DV Video Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm really considering to get a DV camcorder and a FireWire card for my PC. I wanna cut the video on my PC and than convert it to either MPEG2 for SVCD's and to DivX.
since I don't know if all this is possible I would like to know the following before I buy:
1. is DV a format of its own or just uncompressed raw video?
2. most FireWire cards come bundled with Video editing software. does this include the necessary DV-drivers for Windows 98/2000?
3. is the DV format installed in the system like any other codec so that it could be converted to another using VirtualDub?
4. has any one experience with the stuff I wanna do?

any answers/help would be very much appreciated!

respect!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NermalX on 06/12/01 08:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

1. No dv is uncompressed video. There is mini dv, dvc cam, dvc pro. Simply they refer to the tape size.
2. You have to check the package for drivers. Some might not support W2K.
3. DV has to captured, and is then outputed to any codec your software supports.
4. Yes. Grab a copy of Premiere and you'll soon learn all the details. Very, very simple concept to master.
5. Try and get Premiere 6 and media cleaner 5. Between the two you should be able to output to most formats.
6. While your at it, learn After affects for titleing and video graphics.

"no kelder....you can't shoot goblins in wordpad"

G

thanks for the information! will have a close look at the software package in the FireWire card box.
fortunately a friend of mine got himself a Sony MiniDV camcorder just a week ago. he got a Mac Powerbook.
quite frankly I envy Mac-users for the build in FireWire port and the Video editing software that came with the MacOS. all he needed to do is plug the camcorder into his Powerbook and start the software. running straight out of the box. not a single problem.
anyway. I can use his camcorder for testing. so all I need to spend money on in the moment is the FireWire card.
how lucky for me.

respect!

tibou

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DV is NOT uncompressed video! Many people make this mistake. The codec usually used in a DV camera is DV NTSC or DV25. This has a compression ratio of 5:1. Therefore, it is 1/5 or 1.8 GB a second. 1.8 GB a second is the acutal space 30 frames of uncompressed video takes up. The are other formats are DV50 and DV100 or BetaDV. This is about all if have to say. Just be aware that the video you take with a digital 8 camera or whatever does use compression and there is, to some degree, quality loss.

G

I just recently bought a JVC GRDVM90U Digital Camera, great camera. I also bought the Adaptec DV Pics Digital Video kit. Its comes with the Firewire card and MGI VideoWave 4E Editing Software, its a great package and it is windows 2000 compatible.

----------------------------------
I bought a pentium once!
Everybody makes mistakes..

andrewbadlose

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
All 1394 OHCI compliant cards will work with windows 98,ME,2k They use the same driver. All dv editing software for 1394 works only with ohci compliant cards. U have to be carful since older cards are not compliant. Any card with a lucent or texas instrament chip is though. I would sugest to use adobe preamere 6.1 has the best 1394 support and is the best program makes it work better than a mac.
<A HREF="http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/demoreg.html" target="_new">Here is adobe preamere 6.1 demo download has all fetures ecept export and save</A>

Status
Not open for further replies.