Silly question ?: Safe to scan memory chips?

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

[Xposted uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt]

About to put some PC2700 in ebay. No digital Camera.
Is it safe to scan chips in a flatbed scanner? (Epson 1650)

Is static a danger?

--
Lordy

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Bitstring <Xns95497232F84E4lordybigfootcom@130.133.1.4>, from the
wonderful person Lordy <spam_box@gmx.net> said
>[Xposted uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt]
>
>About to put some PC2700 in ebay. No digital Camera.
>Is it safe to scan chips in a flatbed scanner? (Epson 1650)

Yes

>Is static a danger?

Yes, but there isn't much static in a scanner.

Not sure a photo does much for PC2700 RAM anyway. I mean anyone buying
it ought to know what it looks like. Personally l wouldn't buy it from
Ebay if it were free.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> Bitstring <Xns95497232F84E4lordybigfootcom@130.133.1.4>, from the
> wonderful person Lordy <spam_box@gmx.net> said
> >[Xposted uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt]
> >
> >About to put some PC2700 in ebay. No digital Camera.
> >Is it safe to scan chips in a flatbed scanner? (Epson 1650)
>
> Yes
>
> >Is static a danger?
>
> Yes, but there isn't much static in a scanner.
>
> Not sure a photo does much for PC2700 RAM anyway. I mean anyone buying
> it ought to know what it looks like. Personally l wouldn't buy it from
> Ebay if it were free.
>
> --
> GSV Three Minds in a Can
> Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

Why don't you just grab a pic from any of the numerous websites that have a
picture of a stick of RAM? You can always use the standard "picture is for
illustration purposes only" disclaimer. Don't you just love that one? I have
to smile each time I see that :))

---

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote in

> Not sure a photo does much for PC2700 RAM anyway. I mean anyone buying
> it ought to know what it looks like. Personally l wouldn't buy it from
> Ebay if it were free.

You and me both. But its pukker guv - honest :) I can throw in a watch..

--
Lordy

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In <zYjrEQB6qzIBFA4Q@from.is.invalid>,
GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> Not sure a photo does much for PC2700 RAM anyway. I mean anyone buying
> it ought to know what it looks like. Personally l wouldn't buy it from
> Ebay if it were free.

I've bought Kingston and Crucial RAM from eBay. If you stick to good
brands and sellers with good feedback I don't see that it's much worse
than buying from anywhere else.

--
The address in the Reply-To is genuine and should not be edited.
See <http://www.realh.co.uk/contact.html> for more reliable contact addresses.

"Tony Houghton" wrote in message
> I've bought Kingston and Crucial RAM from eBay. If you stick to good
> brands and sellers with good feedback I don't see that it's much worse
> than buying from anywhere else.

Agreed, I've shifted loads of harware through ebay, from sticks
of memory to monitors, full systems etc.

I even sold my car through ebay once - but it was a ah heck to get it on the
flatbed scanner :))))

--
No66y©
Those who find they're touched by madness

Reply to address is a spam trap.
Use no66y [at] breathe [dot] com

"no66y©" <bounce@bounce.com> wrote in message

> "Tony Houghton" wrote in message
> > I've bought Kingston and Crucial RAM from eBay. If you stick to good
> > brands and sellers with good feedback I don't see that it's much worse
> > than buying from anywhere else.
>
> Agreed, I've shifted loads of harware through ebay, from sticks
> of memory to monitors, full systems etc.

Me too! It's a great way of off loading old hardware to help fund those PC
upgrades :)
--
Andrew

NOTE: Return E-mail address is a spam-trap and does not get read!

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Bitstring <4124d358$0$41795$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net>, from the
wonderful person Andrew Ratcliffe <a.ratcliffe@ukgateway.net> said
>"no66y©" <bounce@bounce.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tony Houghton" wrote in message
>> > I've bought Kingston and Crucial RAM from eBay. If you stick to good
>> > brands and sellers with good feedback I don't see that it's much worse
>> > than buying from anywhere else.
>>
>> Agreed, I've shifted loads of harware through ebay, from sticks
>> of memory to monitors, full systems etc.
>>

>Me too! It's a great way of off loading old hardware to help fund those PC
>upgrades :)

I didn't say I wouldn't SELL through Ebay. I said I'd never buy memory
that route. My time is worth too much to screw around with potentially
troublesome memory errors. Besides, I'm unlikely to be buying what Y'all
are selling, unless it fell off the back of a truck, or has some problem
(why would anyone be Ebay-ing PC3200 or better DDR, for instance.).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In <aU8h3TEBTOJBFAFm@from.is.invalid>,
GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> Bitstring <4124d358$0$41795$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net>, from the
> wonderful person Andrew Ratcliffe <a.ratcliffe@ukgateway.net> said
>>"no66y©" <bounce@bounce.com> wrote in message

>>> Agreed, I've shifted loads of harware through ebay, from sticks
>>> of memory to monitors, full systems etc.
>>
>>Me too! It's a great way of off loading old hardware to help fund those PC
>>upgrades :)
>
> I didn't say I wouldn't SELL through Ebay. I said I'd never buy memory
> that route. My time is worth too much to screw around with potentially
> troublesome memory errors. Besides, I'm unlikely to be buying what Y'all
> are selling, unless it fell off the back of a truck, or has some problem
> (why would anyone be Ebay-ing PC3200 or better DDR, for instance.).

I don't know why they went on about selling, unless they were trying to
say that there are plenty of people selling parts in gwo.

I was just pulling apart my HTPC today, I got the RAM for that from eBay
and it doesn't even have a brand on the sticker. I must have been
feeling extra brave or foolish that day. Works fine. It's PC133 in a
100MHZ system though, so that might be helping its stability.

One reason to sell PC3200 is if you're upgrading to DDR2 perhaps.

--
The address in the Reply-To is genuine and should not be edited.
See <http://www.realh.co.uk/contact.html> for more reliable contact addresses.

TRENDING THREADS