Win2K BSOD - "Physical memory dump to disk" - what does it..

Hey folks,

Today I've been getting a blue screen on Win2K Pro with a bunch of numbers
and codes and stuff - I tried to write them down but it restarted too
quickly - after the codes there was a line that said something like
"Physical memory dumping to disk: " followed by the % finished as the
process was taking place. It's happened twice so far. Since then
restarting has been painfully slow. Does this mean my RAM's going bad? If
not, any other ideas of what it could be?

I have a single stick of Crucial DDR 512 mb RAM which is about 2.5 yrs old
in an ASUS A7N266-VM board.

Thanks!
Nate

jad

sounds like a memory overheat or bad module. overclocking?

"Nate C." <nathanconnorsREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
>
> Today I've been getting a blue screen on Win2K Pro with a bunch of
numbers
> and codes and stuff - I tried to write them down but it restarted
too
> quickly - after the codes there was a line that said something like
> "Physical memory dumping to disk: " followed by the % finished as
the
> process was taking place. It's happened twice so far. Since then
> restarting has been painfully slow. Does this mean my RAM's going
bad? If
> not, any other ideas of what it could be?
>
> I have a single stick of Crucial DDR 512 mb RAM which is about 2.5
yrs old
> in an ASUS A7N266-VM board.
>
> Thanks!
> Nate

> sounds like a memory overheat or bad module. overclocking?

Nope, not overclocking. Athlon XP 1800+ running stock.

If overheating, why all of the sudden?

Regarding the possible bad module - how can I check it and/or what could I
do about it if true?

Thanks,

> "Nate C." <nathanconnorsREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > Today I've been getting a blue screen on Win2K Pro with a bunch of
> numbers
> > and codes and stuff - I tried to write them down but it restarted
> too
> > quickly - after the codes there was a line that said something like
> > "Physical memory dumping to disk: " followed by the % finished as
> the
> > process was taking place. It's happened twice so far. Since then
> > restarting has been painfully slow. Does this mean my RAM's going
> bad? If
> > not, any other ideas of what it could be?
> >
> > I have a single stick of Crucial DDR 512 mb RAM which is about 2.5
> yrs old
> > in an ASUS A7N266-VM board.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Nate

jad

you could download a memory checker...but I don't really rely on them.
If it were me I would pull the module and take it to a shop where they
have a hardware memory checker. OR you could get a another module of
128 and try it. Run the machine and see if the bsod continues.

'All of a sudden' is just about how it always goes....not like a car
that creaks clumps sputters before going belly up, things in a PC
just die....less your a benchmark watcher...then there may be some
tell tale signs of a inevitable breakdown.

make sure all your fans are running and the inside is clean.

> > sounds like a memory overheat or bad module. overclocking?
> >

> Nope, not overclocking. Athlon XP 1800+ running stock.
>
> If overheating, why all of the sudden?
>
> Regarding the possible bad module - how can I check it and/or what
could I
> do about it if true?
>
> Thanks,
>

> > "Nate C." <nathanconnorsREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hey folks,
> > >
> > > Today I've been getting a blue screen on Win2K Pro with a bunch
of
> > numbers
> > > and codes and stuff - I tried to write them down but it
restarted
> > too
> > > quickly - after the codes there was a line that said something
like
> > > "Physical memory dumping to disk: " followed by the % finished
as
> > the
> > > process was taking place. It's happened twice so far. Since
then
> > > restarting has been painfully slow. Does this mean my RAM's
going
> > bad? If
> > > not, any other ideas of what it could be?
> > >
> > > I have a single stick of Crucial DDR 512 mb RAM which is about
2.5
> > yrs old
> > > in an ASUS A7N266-VM board.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Nate

Nate,

I get those occasionally with XP Pro and it seems to be related to driver
problem. In my case it is a video driver associated with my onboard video.
I've updated to the most recent drivers available but it happens every time
I try to install AMR modem. I gave up on the AMR and installed a hardware
modem in an ISA slot. End of problem.

Wayne

"wayneM" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Nate,
>
> I get those occasionally with XP Pro and it seems to be related to driver
> problem. In my case it is a video driver associated with my onboard video.
> I've updated to the most recent drivers available but it happens every
time
> I try to install AMR modem. I gave up on the AMR and installed a hardware
> modem in an ISA slot. End of problem.
>
> Wayne

Thanks Wayne. That's a good tip especially considering I've been getting
some error messages about my video driver over the last couple days
(although everything *seems* to be working okay). I'll update my drivers
and see what happens.

Take care,
Nate