nvidia mainboard swap

I have have to replace a nvidia chipset mainboard a gigabyte ga7n400, with
another mainboard but really dont want to have to do a reinstall of XP.
Ideally Id replace with the same model but its a very tight budget (and a
very long story!) so I was looking at using another Gigabyte nforce chipset
board either the ga7n400L or a new model ga7nf-rz which I can find no info
on beyond it uses mcp and spp.

I know the sound will be different(the pro uses the nvidia soundstorm chip)
but hopefully this wont be a terminal
problem, its differences in the different flavors of the nforce chipset I'm
most concerned about. I was hoping that the core logic for ide drives etc
would be close enough not to cause a problem but if the past history of this
job has any bearing then I'm screwed!

any thoughts on these issues much appreciated

cheers

Maurice
10 answers Last reply
More about nvidia mainboard swap

    after the install of the MB boot with XP CD and do a repair install
    from the console

    "maurice" <mauriceDELETEALLCAPS@WWWwidebaymultimedia.com> wrote in
    message news:412564a3$0$25143$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
    > I have have to replace a nvidia chipset mainboard a gigabyte
    ga7n400, with
    > another mainboard but really dont want to have to do a reinstall of
    XP.
    > Ideally Id replace with the same model but its a very tight budget
    (and a
    > very long story!) so I was looking at using another Gigabyte nforce
    chipset
    > board either the ga7n400L or a new model ga7nf-rz which I can find
    no info
    > on beyond it uses mcp and spp.
    >
    > I know the sound will be different(the pro uses the nvidia
    soundstorm chip)
    > but hopefully this wont be a terminal
    > problem, its differences in the different flavors of the nforce
    chipset I'm
    > most concerned about. I was hoping that the core logic for ide
    drives etc
    > would be close enough not to cause a problem but if the past history
    of this
    > job has any bearing then I'm screwed!
    >
    > any thoughts on these issues much appreciated
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Maurice

    Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME MOTHERBOARD,
    including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat the
    harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW wrote:

    > Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME MOTHERBOARD,
    > including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat the
    > harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS.

    I do upgrade/repair swaps of comPLETEly different motherboards all the time
    with no problems whatsoever.

    Ok, two very different opinions here,

    JAD "1. after the install of the MB boot with XP CD and do a repair
    install
    from the console"

    DaveW "2. Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME
    MOTHERBOARD,
    including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat the
    harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS"

    Dave, have you had first hand experience with swapping identical chipset
    boards and having to reformat. Do you have reason to believe the repair
    console wont work?

    I normally would reformat but the client has had some custom software
    installed which will need to be reconfigured by the vendor if I have to
    reinstall the OS.

    Anybody else had good or bad luck with either of these scenarios?

    thanks

    > Ok, two very different opinions here,
    >
    > JAD "1. after the install of the MB boot with XP CD and do a repair
    > install
    > from the console"
    >
    > DaveW "2. Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME
    > MOTHERBOARD,
    > including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat the
    > harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS"
    >
    > Dave, have you had first hand experience with swapping identical chipset
    > boards and having to reformat. Do you have reason to believe the repair
    > console wont work?
    >
    > I normally would reformat but the client has had some custom software
    > installed which will need to be reconfigured by the vendor if I have to
    > reinstall the OS.
    >
    > Anybody else had good or bad luck with either of these scenarios?

    I had to do much the same recently when an Asus A7N8X stopped working on a
    Saturday evening - I had an Abit NF7 available, so swapped the components
    over and rebooted, started Windows (XP Home) in Safe Mode, went to Device
    Manager, removed everything it would allow, ignoring the requests to reboot
    until I'd finished, then rebooted properly and allowed Windows to re-detect
    all it needed. I don't recall it asking for the installation disk, it just
    sorted itself out and has been fine since (about 3/4 weeks). I did have to
    re-activate Windows due to the hardware changes but that wasn't a problem.

    HTH
    Martin

    maurice wrote:
    > Ok, two very different opinions here,
    >
    > JAD "1. after the install of the MB boot with XP CD and do a repair
    > install
    > from the console"

    You dont want to go into the console. Just put the hardware together,
    and boot from the XP cdrom. Keep going through the stages as if you were
    going to do a new install. Eventually you'll be asked if you want to
    reinstall or repair (not the same as console), and this is what you
    want. If you miss it, do NOT format anything :-)

    > DaveW "2. Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME
    > MOTHERBOARD,
    > including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat the
    > harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS"

    Dave is talking out of his arse, this is not the only way.

    > Dave, have you had first hand experience with swapping identical chipset
    > boards and having to reformat. Do you have reason to believe the repair
    > console wont work?
    >
    > I normally would reformat but the client has had some custom software
    > installed which will need to be reconfigured by the vendor if I have to
    > reinstall the OS.
    >
    > Anybody else had good or bad luck with either of these scenarios?

    I've done both, both work.

    > thanks
    >

    >>"maurice" <mauriceDELETEALLCAPS@WWWwidebaymultimedia.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have have to replace a nvidia chipset mainboard a gigabyte ga7n400,
    >
    > with
    >
    >>>another mainboard but really dont want to have to do a reinstall of XP.
    >>>Ideally Id replace with the same model but its a very tight budget (and

    >>>very long story!) so I was looking at using another Gigabyte nforce
    >>
    >>chipset
    >>
    >>>board either the ga7n400L or a new model ga7nf-rz which I can find no
    >
    > info
    >
    >>>on beyond it uses mcp and spp.
    >>>
    >>>I know the sound will be different(the pro uses the nvidia soundstorm
    >>
    >>chip)
    >>
    >>>but hopefully this wont be a terminal
    >>>problem, its differences in the different flavors of the nforce chipset
    >>
    >>I'm
    >>
    >>>most concerned about. I was hoping that the core logic for ide drives
    >
    > etc
    >
    >>>would be close enough not to cause a problem but if the past history of
    >>
    >>this
    >>
    >>>job has any bearing then I'm screwed!
    >>>
    >>>any thoughts on these issues much appreciated
    >>>
    >>>cheers
    >>>
    >>>Maurice

    the 'proper' way is to use the console.......not to say that what you
    do doesn't work. Question: after doing the install your way, have you
    looked over the boot log? is it without 'failed to load' lines,
    curious is all.

    JAD wrote:

    > the 'proper' way is to use the console.......

    Using 'the console' is the 'proper' way to do WHAT?

    > not to say that what you
    > do doesn't work. Question: after doing the install your way, have you
    > looked over the boot log? is it without 'failed to load' lines,
    > curious is all.
    >

    > "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>maurice wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ok, two very different opinions here,
    >>>
    >>>JAD "1. after the install of the MB boot with XP CD and do a
    >
    > repair
    >
    >>>install
    >>>from the console"
    >>>

    >>You dont want to go into the console. Just put the hardware
    >
    > together,
    >
    >>and boot from the XP cdrom. Keep going through the stages as if you
    >
    > were
    >
    >>going to do a new install. Eventually you'll be asked if you want to
    >>reinstall or repair (not the same as console), and this is what you
    >>want. If you miss it, do NOT format anything :-)
    >>

    >>>DaveW "2. Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME
    >>>MOTHERBOARD,
    >>> including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat
    >
    > the
    >
    >>> harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS"
    >>>

    >>Dave is talking out of his arse, this is not the only way.
    >>

    >>>Dave, have you had first hand experience with swapping identical
    >
    > chipset
    >
    >>>boards and having to reformat. Do you have reason to believe the
    >
    > repair
    >
    >>>console wont work?
    >>>
    >>>I normally would reformat but the client has had some custom
    >
    > software
    >
    >>>installed which will need to be reconfigured by the vendor if I
    >
    > have to
    >
    >>>reinstall the OS.
    >>>
    >>>Anybody else had good or bad luck with either of these scenarios?
    >>>

    >>I've done both, both work.
    >>

    >>>thanks

    > message

    > ga7n400,
    >
    >>>with

    > of XP.

    > budget (and

    > nforce

    > find no
    >
    >>>info

    > soundstorm

    > chipset

    > drives
    >
    >>>etc

    > history of

    >>--
    >>spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

    You dont want to go into the console. Just put the hardware

    > together,
    >
    >>and boot from the XP cdrom. Keep going through the stages as if you
    >
    > were
    >
    >>going to do a new install. Eventually you'll be asked if you want to
    >>reinstall or repair (not the same as console), and this is what you
    >>want. If you miss it, do NOT format anything :-)

    If one is interested in reading a post/thread for the sake of
    information one usually reads the whole thread. Whats your reason?

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:16:53 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

    >Unless you replace the motherboard with the EXACT SAME MOTHERBOARD,
    >including version, etc., you'll be hosed if you don not reformat the
    >harddrive and do a CLEAN install of the OS.

    Wrong. Please stop spreading misinformation.

    As another poster said, the OP should just do the repair re-install.
    Actually the chipsets may be close enough so that not even that may be
    necessary.

    Before doing that, a backup should be done, esp. of data and settings. Use
    erunt for a registry backup too. On rare occasions a re-install can go awry
    so that a new install is demanded by XP. But just restore the registry,
    tweak what needs tweaking (like turning off onboard sound in the BIOS you
    forgot to do), and try again.

Homebuilt Gigabyte Nvidia Systems