Epson R300 Colour Issue

When I first got the R300 I could print from windows XP photo folder direct
by 'right click - print' and photos would come out fine.

Recently when printing via XP the photos now come out really dark even
though I'm using exactly the same settings as before.

Ink refills are the original Epson ones and are not empty.

If I print the selected photos using Epson Photoquicker software or the HP
Photosmart software from my old printer - hey presto - perfect photos. This
would in my mind rule out a hardware problem.

Am totally baffled. Only differnce that I have made to system recently was
installing XP service pack 2.

Any solution or ideas as to problem would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
16 answers Last reply
More about epson r300 colour issue

    "Steve" <stevencoates@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > When I first got the R300 I could print from windows XP photo folder
    direct
    > by 'right click - print' and photos would come out fine.
    >
    > Recently when printing via XP the photos now come out really dark even
    > though I'm using exactly the same settings as before.
    >
    > Ink refills are the original Epson ones and are not empty.
    >
    > If I print the selected photos using Epson Photoquicker software or the HP
    > Photosmart software from my old printer - hey presto - perfect photos.
    This
    > would in my mind rule out a hardware problem.
    >
    > Am totally baffled. Only differnce that I have made to system recently was
    > installing XP service pack 2.

    Have you answered your own question there? Is it another SP2 issue?

    Si.

    "Steve" <stevencoates@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > When I first got the R300 I could print from windows XP photo folder
    > direct by 'right click - print' and photos would come out fine.
    >
    > Recently when printing via XP the photos now come out really dark even
    > though I'm using exactly the same settings as before.
    >
    > Ink refills are the original Epson ones and are not empty.
    >
    > If I print the selected photos using Epson Photoquicker software or the HP
    > Photosmart software from my old printer - hey presto - perfect photos.
    > This would in my mind rule out a hardware problem.
    >
    > Am totally baffled. Only differnce that I have made to system recently was
    > installing XP service pack 2.
    >
    > Any solution or ideas as to problem would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance

    I have R200 which is similar. I don't know how to print directly from
    Windows. I can give you the direction for printing from Photoshop.

    First, make sure you have copied the ICM files for all Epson paper types
    from the CD to the system ICM folder. Note: The Epson printer driver install
    only one ICM file to the system and it'd contribute to dark printout.

    When you print on Photoshop, under file -> print with preview, select print
    space profile to the correct Epson paper type. Set the printer driver to use
    ICM, and no color correction. The prints should come out perfect.

    Si, yes, I'm starting to have that horrible feeling that SP2 might be
    somehow responsible.

    Leo, I have no problem with using third party software, it is the XP print
    issue I have which appears to be software fault with OS that i'm looking to
    circumvent or patch

    "Steve" <stevencoates@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > When I first got the R300 I could print from windows XP photo folder
    > direct by 'right click - print' and photos would come out fine.
    >
    > Recently when printing via XP the photos now come out really dark even
    > though I'm using exactly the same settings as before.
    >
    > Ink refills are the original Epson ones and are not empty.
    >
    > If I print the selected photos using Epson Photoquicker software or the HP
    > Photosmart software from my old printer - hey presto - perfect photos.
    > This would in my mind rule out a hardware problem.
    >
    > Am totally baffled. Only differnce that I have made to system recently was
    > installing XP service pack 2.
    >
    > Any solution or ideas as to problem would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance

    > Leo, I have no problem with using third party software, it is the XP print
    > issue I have which appears to be software fault with OS that i'm looking
    > circumvent or patch

    Steve, don't throw away the Leo's advise, Leo is right. It's a software
    profile mismatch.

    "Steve" <stevencoates@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<chhqh8$8r3$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...
    > When I first got the R300 I could print from windows XP photo folder direct
    > by 'right click - print' and photos would come out fine.
    >
    > Recently when printing via XP the photos now come out really dark even
    > though I'm using exactly the same settings as before.
    >
    > Ink refills are the original Epson ones and are not empty.
    >
    > If I print the selected photos using Epson Photoquicker software or the HP
    > Photosmart software from my old printer - hey presto - perfect photos. This
    > would in my mind rule out a hardware problem.
    >
    > Am totally baffled. Only differnce that I have made to system recently was
    > installing XP service pack 2.
    >
    > Any solution or ideas as to problem would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance

    I have the same issue going on with my R200 after installing SP2. I've
    got several machines, some with SP2 and some without -- printing the
    same pictures on different machines definitely yields different
    results. SP2 machine prints very dark, very orange, and grainy. I
    thought it was low ink tanks at first so I replaced all of them before
    I figured out the SP2 connection. I just wrote Epson and here's how