video editing, which is better AMD or Intel P4?

Hi,

At a local screwdriver shop I spoke with a guy who was editing video clips,
and he wanted to know which CPU handeled that better. I told him AMD just
because they cost less, so for the same amount of money that a P4 cost, you
could buy a more powerful AMD chip. But, the more I thought about it the
more I realized I really didn't know what the hell I was talking about
because I have never edited a video file in my life.

So, I thought I'd ask here and see what the opinions of the gurus are.

TIA

Al
1 answer Last reply
More about video editing intel

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:52:45 -0400, "!Allen Lasting"
    <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >At a local screwdriver shop I spoke with a guy who was editing video clips,
    >and he wanted to know which CPU handeled that better. I told him AMD just
    >because they cost less, so for the same amount of money that a P4 cost, you
    >could buy a more powerful AMD chip. But, the more I thought about it the
    >more I realized I really didn't know what the hell I was talking about
    >because I have never edited a video file in my life.
    >
    >So, I thought I'd ask here and see what the opinions of the gurus are.
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Al

    What really matters are the hard disk and bus speed. Suggest a drive
    with 8MB cache ATA133 and very fast random seek time. Add that to the
    processor with the highest memory bus speed and largest cache.

    Most editing software was written before the latest instruction sets
    so proprietary instructions don't matter that much.

    BTW, disk drives have "sweet spots" where the data rate is faster.
    Make a few partitions to find the fastest areas on the drive and use
    them for the video files.

Homebuilt Video Editing AMD Systems