DDR Memory question

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a 1GB stick of DDR memory for one of my
motherboards, and I note that several of the places that sell memory
seem to warn about their (usually) cheapest type of memory. For
example:

http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/memory.asp?ID=286

Will the cheaper $93 memory really not work in a lot of boards, as they
indicate? I thought that compatibility-wise (not speed-wise) all DDR
memory was pretty much compatibile, unlike the situation with the older
PC100/133 Low/High-density?

In my case, I have a DFI KT600-AL, which I VIA KT600/VT8237 chipset, so
it sounds like this one won't work with my motherboard?

Thanks,
Jim

"ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> wrote in message news:41265E72.BB8270D8@cox.net...
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of getting a 1GB stick of DDR memory for one of my
> motherboards, and I note that several of the places that sell memory
> seem to warn about their (usually) cheapest type of memory. For
> example:
>
> http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/memory.asp?ID=286
>
> Will the cheaper $93 memory really not work in a lot of boards, as they
> indicate? I thought that compatibility-wise (not speed-wise) all DDR
> memory was pretty much compatibile, unlike the situation with the older
> PC100/133 Low/High-density?
>
> In my case, I have a DFI KT600-AL, which I VIA KT600/VT8237 chipset, so
> it sounds like this one won't work with my motherboard?

I read somewhere today that you can have "good" "cheap" and
"fast", but not all three at once. Get Crucial, Kingston, or Corsair.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

The CHEAP memory sold by vendors is notorious for having timing and
compatibility issues in various motherboards. NO, all DDR memory is NOT the
same.

--
DaveW