ABIT NF7-M ( NVIDIA nForce2 video) with Linux?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

I'm in process of building a system with an ABIT NF7-M motherboard
(using NVIDIA nForce2 video) that I would like to run with Linux
instead of Windows.

Has anyone installed Red Hat 9, Fedora 2 or Debian linux on that
motherboard or chipset? How to configure the video? I've used Linux
before but I am not fasmilar with details configuring the low-level
"X" widnows.

Thanks :-)
6 answers Last reply
More about abit nvidia nforce2 video linux
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:16:19 +0000, Phil S wrote:

    > I'm in process of building a system with an ABIT NF7-M motherboard
    > (using NVIDIA nForce2 video) that I would like to run with Linux
    > instead of Windows.
    >
    > Has anyone installed Red Hat 9, Fedora 2 or Debian linux on that
    > motherboard or chipset? How to configure the video? I've used Linux
    > before but I am not fasmilar with details configuring the low-level
    > "X" widnows.
    >
    > Thanks :-)

    I believe any Linux will install on your NF7 board. I have Mandrake and
    VectorLinux working on it. You will need to run the NVidia driver install.
    NVidia have a special license and their video drivers will not install
    aoutomatically on any Linux distribution I know of. I suggest you visit
    their website and read their instructions. They (and their setup) are
    fairly straightforward if you RTFM.

    Larry Gagnon

    --
    ********************************
    to reply via email remove "fake"

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:16:19 +0000, Phil S wrote:

    > I'm in process of building a system with an ABIT NF7-M motherboard
    > (using NVIDIA nForce2 video) that I would like to run with Linux
    > instead of Windows.
    >
    > Has anyone installed Red Hat 9, Fedora 2 or Debian linux on that
    > motherboard or chipset? How to configure the video? I've used Linux
    > before but I am not fasmilar with details configuring the low-level
    > "X" widnows.
    >
    > Thanks :-)

    I have(had) installed Knoppix/Debian on this board and it autodetected and
    setup the video on install. Worked very well.

    I would send you my system and Xconfig files except that the board died
    after about 2 weeks.

    KRF
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:47:56 -0700, Larry Gagnon
    <lagagnon@fakeuniserve.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:16:19 +0000, Phil S wrote:
    >
    >> I'm in process of building a system with an ABIT NF7-M motherboard
    >> (using NVIDIA nForce2 video) that I would like to run with Linux
    >> instead of Windows.
    >>
    >> Has anyone installed Red Hat 9, Fedora 2 or Debian linux on that
    >> motherboard or chipset? How to configure the video? I've used Linux
    >> before but I am not fasmilar with details configuring the low-level
    >> "X" widnows.
    >>
    >> Thanks :-)
    >

    >I believe any Linux will install on your NF7 board. I have Mandrake and
    >VectorLinux working on it. You will need to run the NVidia driver install.
    >NVidia have a special license and their video drivers will not install
    >aoutomatically on any Linux distribution I know of. I suggest you visit
    >their website and read their instructions. They (and their setup) are
    >fairly straightforward if you RTFM.
    >
    >Larry Gagnon

    Thanks Larry. Sorry for the newbie question, but: How do I get the
    video to work so I can download and install the drivers?

    Phil
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

    stff4me@yahoo.com (Phil S) writes:
    >On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:47:56 -0700, Larry Gagnon
    ><lagagnon@fakeuniserve.com> wrote:

    >>I believe any Linux will install on your NF7 board. I have Mandrake and
    >>VectorLinux working on it. You will need to run the NVidia driver install.
    >>NVidia have a special license and their video drivers will not install
    >>aoutomatically on any Linux distribution I know of. I suggest you visit
    >>their website and read their instructions. They (and their setup) are
    >>fairly straightforward if you RTFM.
    >>
    >>Larry Gagnon
    >>

    >Thanks Larry. Sorry for the newbie question, but: How do I get the
    >video to work so I can download and install the drivers?

    You don't need it to work. Download and install the drivers
    in SVGA mode or using <ctrl><alt><f1>-<f6> virtual consoles.

    scott
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.misc (More info?)

    stff4me@yahoo.com (Phil S) writes:

    >I'm in process of building a system with an ABIT NF7-M motherboard
    >(using NVIDIA nForce2 video) that I would like to run with Linux
    >instead of Windows.

    >Has anyone installed Red Hat 9, Fedora 2 or Debian linux on that
    >motherboard or chipset? How to configure the video? I've used Linux
    >before but I am not fasmilar with details configuring the low-level
    >"X" widnows.

    I have a Shuttle XPC with nforce2. Kernels since 2.4.21 should
    recognize UDMA IDE properly.

    XFree86 ran with its nv driver, which allegedly has 2D performance
    nearly as good as, or as good as, the nvidia driver available at
    www.nvidia.com. The nvidia driver however has better 3D support but
    is a pain in the ass since you have to recompile it if you update your
    kernel.

    Also, I had to download linux sound & Ethernet drivers from
    nvidia.com, them compile them for the kernel.

    Too bad nvidia can't grok that it wouldn't lose a thing if they'd just
    donate their code to the kernel, & make life easier for the rest of
    us.

    --
    <> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | |||| We sure |||| <>
    <> bgeer@xmission.com | == == find it == == <>

    Thanks for everything, Matt. I went with the NF7-M and Fedora FC2 with
    no real problems. Everything went together in a couple of hours.

    I originally loaded RH9 but it did not recognize the on board lan, so
    I tried Fedora FC2. It has a pretty good driver for the on board lan
    and the "nv" driver you mentioned for the on board video.

    The "nv" driver would hang after a little bit of use, but was usefull
    enough to download the driver from nvidia ... it installed with no
    problem and the nvidia recommmendations for two simple edits to the
    xorg.conf worked immediatey with no problems.

    Everything works well. I have not used (or needed) the nvidia
    diagnostics or utilites that came with the board because they are
    Windows .exe's and I haven't bothered to install windows.

    Thanks again for great advice.

    Phil

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:42:23 GMT, Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com>
    wrote:

    >Phil S wrote:
    >> I'm in process of building a system with an ABIT NF7-M motherboard
    >> (using NVIDIA nForce2 video) that I would like to run with Linux
    >> instead of Windows.
    >>
    >> Has anyone installed Red Hat 9, Fedora 2 or Debian linux on that
    >> motherboard or chipset? How to configure the video? I've used Linux
    >> before but I am not fasmilar with details configuring the low-level
    >> "X" widnows.
    >>
    >> Thanks :-)
    >
    >Red Hat or Fedora will install a driver called nv (apparently an
    >open-source driver) and X will be up and running. Then you can go to
    >the Nvidia site and get their driver called nvidia, which is better than
    >nv if you are running 3D graphics. There are several ways to install
    >nvidia. Use the method wherein you install kernel source (using
    >rpm---find the book called "Maximum RPM" on the web) that matches your
    >kernel. The nvidia driver itself uses its own installer (not rpm) and
    >compiles a kernel interface. You have to edit /etc/inittab (see `man
    >init` and `man inittab`) and XF86Config or so. Each time you upgrade
    >your kernel, you have to install the matching kernel-source rpm,
    >deinstall nvidia and reinstall nvidia. Apparently the upgrade process
    >is more automated when using SuSE, but once you understand it, it is at
    >most a ten-minute chore (assuming broadband) regardless of distro.
    >
    >By the way, I believe you will be fine running FC2 rather than RH9. RH9
    >support will be ending soon if it hasn't already.

Homebuilt Linux Video Nvidia Systems