athlon 64

I am building an Athlon 64 system and the power goes out after a few
minutes ands the video doe snot show up on the monitor -- I have a 300w
PSU, do I need 400 or 450? What else coudl cause these symptoms? Also,
the Serial ATA drive I have -- I have the ATA cable and power, but
there's a third port, what does thast do?

<jbrandonbb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am building an Athlon 64 system and the power goes out after a few
> minutes ands the video doe snot show up on the monitor -- I have a 300w
> PSU, do I need 400 or 450? What else coudl cause these symptoms? Also,
> the Serial ATA drive I have -- I have the ATA cable and power, but
> there's a third port, what does thast do?

300W is too low for an Athlon XP. I imagine an Athlon 64 system must really
be starved for power at 300W. Try 450 Seasonic or Fortron. Some of the
early SATA drives have SATA power as well as (IDE style molex) power
connector and the SATA data cable. I'm guessing you probably hooked up the
SATA drive to a molex connector, and now you have a third port which is SATA
power. (not needed, if the drive is functioning OK) -Dave

Fitz

Very likely the power supply, especially if its a generic one that came with
a case. 20 AMPS on the 12V rail is recommended for the AMD64. It's as
important to get consistent, reliable power as it is to get a high wattage
rating.

Fitz