No wireless network tabs in Network Connections

I just bought a Linksys Wireless-B usb adapter, and followed the directions
to install it. But in the Network Connections window, there is no wireless
connection icon or tab. The only item shown is my LAN connection which isn't
connected right now. I called Linksys and after they couldn't fix my problem
they said to ask microsoft. The adapter shows up in the device manager under
network adapters, and it even says the device is working properly. So I don't
know why it won't show up in Network Connections. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank you

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Did you add the connection for it? Try creating a new connection.

Clark

"ghost5484" <ghost5484@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a Linksys Wireless-B usb adapter, and followed the directions
> to install it. But in the Network Connections window, there is no wireless
> connection icon or tab. The only item shown is my LAN connection which
> isn't
> connected right now. I called Linksys and after they couldn't fix my
> problem
> they said to ask microsoft. The adapter shows up in the device manager
> under
> network adapters, and it even says the device is working properly. So I
> don't
> know why it won't show up in Network Connections. Any help would be
> greatly
> appreciated.
> Thank you

There aren't any options in the "create a new connection" thing for wireless,
and I've tried all the options.

"Clark" wrote:

> Did you add the connection for it? Try creating a new connection.
>
> Clark
>

> "ghost5484" <ghost5484@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought a Linksys Wireless-B usb adapter, and followed the directions
> > to install it. But in the Network Connections window, there is no wireless
> > connection icon or tab. The only item shown is my LAN connection which
> > isn't
> > connected right now. I called Linksys and after they couldn't fix my
> > problem
> > they said to ask microsoft. The adapter shows up in the device manager
> > under
> > network adapters, and it even says the device is working properly. So I
> > don't
> > know why it won't show up in Network Connections. Any help would be
> > greatly
> > appreciated.
> > Thank you

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Did the device come with a configuration utility, and it so you might try
using that to set it up. Make sure you have the latest firmware and
drivers.

Does it show up in the system tray with the USB icon so you can remove it?
I would try removing and reinserting, which you have probably done.

Have you checked for new USB drivers for your motherboard? Do all of your
USB ports support USB 2.0 if this is a 2.0 device?

There have been other folks with issues with USB adapters. One was he had
to unplug and replug to allow it do get an IP address, but I guess you
haven't gotten that far yet. Have you tried the device on another computer?
Do you have any other wireless devices on the same computer?

> There aren't any options in the "create a new connection" thing for
> wireless,
> and I've tried all the options.
>

> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> Did you add the connection for it? Try creating a new connection.
>>
>> Clark
>>

>> "ghost5484" <ghost5484@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just bought a Linksys Wireless-B usb adapter, and followed the
>> >directions
>> > to install it. But in the Network Connections window, there is no
>> > wireless
>> > connection icon or tab. The only item shown is my LAN connection which
>> > isn't
>> > connected right now. I called Linksys and after they couldn't fix my
>> > problem
>> > they said to ask microsoft. The adapter shows up in the device manager
>> > under
>> > network adapters, and it even says the device is working properly. So I
>> > don't
>> > know why it won't show up in Network Connections. Any help would be
>> > greatly
>> > appreciated.
>> > Thank you

I've tried all those things but it hasn't worked. The adapter does work on
other computers though so I know it's not broken. I don't have any other
wireless devices on my computer. The problem might be with the Wireless Zero
Configuration tool because I can't seem to access it. Is there a way to check
this?

"Clark" wrote:

> Did the device come with a configuration utility, and it so you might try
> using that to set it up. Make sure you have the latest firmware and
> drivers.
>
> Does it show up in the system tray with the USB icon so you can remove it?
> I would try removing and reinserting, which you have probably done.
>
> Have you checked for new USB drivers for your motherboard? Do all of your
> USB ports support USB 2.0 if this is a 2.0 device?
>
> There have been other folks with issues with USB adapters. One was he had
> to unplug and replug to allow it do get an IP address, but I guess you
> haven't gotten that far yet. Have you tried the device on another computer?
> Do you have any other wireless devices on the same computer?
>
> Clark
>
> "ghost5484" <ghost5484@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > There aren't any options in the "create a new connection" thing for
> > wireless,
> > and I've tried all the options.
> >

> > "Clark" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you add the connection for it? Try creating a new connection.
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>

> >> "ghost5484" <ghost5484@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

The WZC is a service, so you can go to admin tools-services and see if it is
running. The WZC does the same thing your wireless configuration utility
does, or at least close. Have you run the wireless setup wizard located in
the control panel?

If you say the adapter runs on other computers, I would be inclined to look
at your USB drivers.

Other than that, all I could suggest would be to remove the device in the
Device Manager and try again. Are you using a USB device because the PCMCIA
cards won't work?

I did ask you if you had used the device in a TiVo, right? If you have a
WUSB12, the user manual says not to run the setup wizard. WixXP is
different, and has to load the drivers a different way.

> I've tried all those things but it hasn't worked. The adapter does work on
> other computers though so I know it's not broken. I don't have any other
> wireless devices on my computer. The problem might be with the Wireless
> Zero
> Configuration tool because I can't seem to access it. Is there a way to
> check
> this?
>

> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> Did the device come with a configuration utility, and it so you might try
>> using that to set it up. Make sure you have the latest firmware and
>> drivers.
>>
>> Does it show up in the system tray with the USB icon so you can remove
>> it?
>> I would try removing and reinserting, which you have probably done.
>>
>> Have you checked for new USB drivers for your motherboard? Do all of
>> your
>> USB ports support USB 2.0 if this is a 2.0 device?
>>
>> There have been other folks with issues with USB adapters. One was he
>> had
>> to unplug and replug to allow it do get an IP address, but I guess you
>> haven't gotten that far yet. Have you tried the device on another
>> computer?
>> Do you have any other wireless devices on the same computer?
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "ghost5484" <ghost5484@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > There aren't any options in the "create a new connection" thing for
>> > wireless,
>> > and I've tried all the options.

I've checked services so I know it is running, but it still isn't detecting
my adapter. I tried the wireless network setup in Control Panel but I don't
think it's related to my problem, and I don't have Tivo either. I've been
looking online everywhere but I can't find a solution that works for me. I
have the WUSB11 so if I return it and get a different model would I still
have these problems?

"Clark" wrote:

> The WZC is a service, so you can go to admin tools-services and see if it is
> running. The WZC does the same thing your wireless configuration utility
> does, or at least close. Have you run the wireless setup wizard located in
> the control panel?
>
> If you say the adapter runs on other computers, I would be inclined to look
> at your USB drivers.
>
> Other than that, all I could suggest would be to remove the device in the
> Device Manager and try again. Are you using a USB device because the PCMCIA
> cards won't work?
>
> I did ask you if you had used the device in a TiVo, right? If you have a
> WUSB12, the user manual says not to run the setup wizard. WixXP is
> different, and has to load the drivers a different way.
>
> Clark

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I don't see any confirmation that you checked your USB drivers. I don't
know what is wrong, so I will just stay with the USB problem as my best
guess--. Do you know which version of the device you have, I would assume
it is version 4 if it is new.

If this is a USB problem, then I would think a different type USB device
would also have problems.

> I've checked services so I know it is running, but it still isn't
> detecting
> my adapter. I tried the wireless network setup in Control Panel but I
> don't
> think it's related to my problem, and I don't have Tivo either. I've been
> looking online everywhere but I can't find a solution that works for me. I
> have the WUSB11 so if I return it and get a different model would I still
> have these problems?
>
> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> The WZC is a service, so you can go to admin tools-services and see if it
>> is
>> running. The WZC does the same thing your wireless configuration utility
>> does, or at least close. Have you run the wireless setup wizard located
>> in
>> the control panel?
>>
>> If you say the adapter runs on other computers, I would be inclined to
>> look
>> at your USB drivers.
>>
>> Other than that, all I could suggest would be to remove the device in the
>> Device Manager and try again. Are you using a USB device because the
>> PCMCIA
>> cards won't work?
>>
>> I did ask you if you had used the device in a TiVo, right? If you have a
>> WUSB12, the user manual says not to run the setup wizard. WixXP is
>> different, and has to load the drivers a different way.
>>
>> Clark

sorry about that, I have USB 2.0, the drivers are up to date, and it works
fine. The adapter I bought is WUSB11 version 4.0.

I can't figure out what else to do so I'm probably gonna have to return it,
but now I don't if the same thing would happen with a different adapter.

"Clark" wrote:

> I don't see any confirmation that you checked your USB drivers. I don't
> know what is wrong, so I will just stay with the USB problem as my best
> guess--. Do you know which version of the device you have, I would assume
> it is version 4 if it is new.
>
> If this is a USB problem, then I would think a different type USB device
> would also have problems.
>
> Clark
>
> "ghost5484" <ghost5484@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've checked services so I know it is running, but it still isn't
> > detecting
> > my adapter. I tried the wireless network setup in Control Panel but I
> > don't
> > think it's related to my problem, and I don't have Tivo either. I've been
> > looking online everywhere but I can't find a solution that works for me. I
> > have the WUSB11 so if I return it and get a different model would I still
> > have these problems?
> >
> > "Clark" wrote:
> >
> >> The WZC is a service, so you can go to admin tools-services and see if it
> >> is
> >> running. The WZC does the same thing your wireless configuration utility
> >> does, or at least close. Have you run the wireless setup wizard located
> >> in
> >> the control panel?
> >>
> >> If you say the adapter runs on other computers, I would be inclined to
> >> look
> >> at your USB drivers.
> >>
> >> Other than that, all I could suggest would be to remove the device in the
> >> Device Manager and try again. Are you using a USB device because the
> >> PCMCIA
> >> cards won't work?
> >>
> >> I did ask you if you had used the device in a TiVo, right? If you have a
> >> WUSB12, the user manual says not to run the setup wizard. WixXP is
> >> different, and has to load the drivers a different way.
> >>
> >> Clark

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Well, the troubleshooting page on Linksys recommends removing the device and
drivers and starting over. If you haven't done that, I would. Do you have
a USB hub lying around?

In the past, there have been problems with some USB motherboard (chipset)
configurations and certain types of devices, but I thought the 2.0 would
have straighten that out. You might check you computer or motherboard
manufacturer for FAQs or updates.

Do you have all the Windows updates? Linksys has an ez install utility that
seems to run from the website. Did you get a chance to try that?

Otherwise, I have no other suggestions. Here are a couple of web pages I
found that might help.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_ts_setup_wl_adp.mspx

http://www.usr.com/support/1120/1120-ug/five.html

> sorry about that, I have USB 2.0, the drivers are up to date, and it works
> fine. The adapter I bought is WUSB11 version 4.0.
>
> I can't figure out what else to do so I'm probably gonna have to return
> it,
> but now I don't if the same thing would happen with a different adapter.
>

> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> I don't see any confirmation that you checked your USB drivers. I don't
>> know what is wrong, so I will just stay with the USB problem as my best
>> guess--. Do you know which version of the device you have, I would
>> assume
>> it is version 4 if it is new.
>>
>> If this is a USB problem, then I would think a different type USB device
>> would also have problems.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "ghost5484" <ghost5484@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've checked services so I know it is running, but it still isn't
>> > detecting
>> > my adapter. I tried the wireless network setup in Control Panel but I
>> > don't
>> > think it's related to my problem, and I don't have Tivo either. I've
>> > been
>> > looking online everywhere but I can't find a solution that works for
>> > me. I
>> > have the WUSB11 so if I return it and get a different model would I
>> > still
>> > have these problems?

I've uninstalled and started over many times but it hasn't changed. I have
all the windows updates and I've used the utility on the linksys website.
Still won't work, although I just noticed in the Task Manager that the
adapter is listed under Networking, but its state is Non Operational.

I'm just gonna get a new adapter and hopefully it will work better, but
thanks a lot anyway for trying

"Clark" wrote:

> Well, the troubleshooting page on Linksys recommends removing the device and
> drivers and starting over. If you haven't done that, I would. Do you have
> a USB hub lying around?
>
> In the past, there have been problems with some USB motherboard (chipset)
> configurations and certain types of devices, but I thought the 2.0 would
> have straighten that out. You might check you computer or motherboard
> manufacturer for FAQs or updates.
>
> Do you have all the Windows updates? Linksys has an ez install utility that
> seems to run from the website. Did you get a chance to try that?
>
> Otherwise, I have no other suggestions. Here are a couple of web pages I
> found that might help.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_ts_setup_wl_adp.mspx
>
> http://www.usr.com/support/1120/1120-ug/five.html
>
> Clark

Mary

What are you connecting to? You must have an active Internet connection to
set it up. Cable or dsl Modem? Wireless Router? Both? It doesn't work by
itself. Turn on your LAN, connect to the Internet and try again.