Getting no signal to monitor

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 21, 2004 3:42:28 AM

I got a PC here which refuses to show signal on monitor,
mate says his kids flicked the voltage switch on the back of the PSU,
down to 130v with out him knowing and when he switched it on there
was a slight pop, I open up the PSU and the SM fuse has blown,
so I stuck in another PSU and powered it up but there's no signal to the
monitor,
I'm not even sure if it's booting up properly, the power is going to MB,
fans and drives spin up ok,
I changed AGP gfx card and tried an old PCI card but still the same,
I'm thinking the board has been damaged due to the voltage switch being
changed
and the board has been damaged before the fuse blew.

Any idea's

Thx in advance

More about : signal monitor

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2004 3:42:29 AM

Sounds to me like a fried motherboard.

--
DaveW

"Cookie" <lammbretta@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I got a PC here which refuses to show signal on monitor,
> mate says his kids flicked the voltage switch on the back of the PSU,
> down to 130v with out him knowing and when he switched it on there
> was a slight pop, I open up the PSU and the SM fuse has blown,
> so I stuck in another PSU and powered it up but there's no signal to the
> monitor,
> I'm not even sure if it's booting up properly, the power is going to MB,
> fans and drives spin up ok,
> I changed AGP gfx card and tried an old PCI card but still the same,
> I'm thinking the board has been damaged due to the voltage switch being
> changed
> and the board has been damaged before the fuse blew.
>
> Any idea's
>
> Thx in advance

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2004 3:42:29 AM

"Cookie" <lammbretta@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I got a PC here which refuses to show signal on monitor,
> mate says his kids flicked the voltage switch on the back of the PSU,
> down to 130v with out him knowing and when he switched it on there
> was a slight pop, I open up the PSU and the SM fuse has blown,
> so I stuck in another PSU and powered it up but there's no signal to the
> monitor,
> I'm not even sure if it's booting up properly, the power is going to MB,
> fans and drives spin up ok,
> I changed AGP gfx card and tried an old PCI card but still the same,
> I'm thinking the board has been damaged due to the voltage switch being
> changed
> and the board has been damaged before the fuse blew.

That makes sense as it was a forced LOW voltage condition. I'm guessing the
CPU and/or motherboard is dead now. -Dave
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2004 3:42:30 AM

Dave C. wrote:

> "Cookie" <lammbretta@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I got a PC here which refuses to show signal on monitor,
>>mate says his kids flicked the voltage switch on the back of the PSU,
>>down to 130v with out him knowing and when he switched it on there
>>was a slight pop, I open up the PSU and the SM fuse has blown,
>>so I stuck in another PSU and powered it up but there's no signal to the
>>monitor,
>>I'm not even sure if it's booting up properly, the power is going to MB,
>>fans and drives spin up ok,
>>I changed AGP gfx card and tried an old PCI card but still the same,
>>I'm thinking the board has been damaged due to the voltage switch being
>>changed
>>and the board has been damaged before the fuse blew.
>>

> That makes sense as it was a forced LOW voltage condition.

Actually, putting the switch to 130 when plugged into 240v mains is a 'high
voltage' condition as it is expecting 130 but got 240.

> I'm guessing the
> CPU and/or motherboard is dead now. -Dave

That's possible because as components failed inside the PSU it's
indeterminate what the output voltages would be and if it did not have
reverse and overvoltage protection that could damage anything connected to it.

It could also be that while replacing the power supply something got
inadvertently bumped loose.
August 21, 2004 2:05:38 PM

I've checked all connections, nothing has came loose

I have a system here running a XP1800 with PC2100 memory,
would it be possible to test the CPU/memory in the dead system,
would the memory just run at the lower speed of the board?

the MB Supports 500MHz ~ 1.5GHz and faster and
Supports PC-100 / PC-133 SDRAM and VCM SDRAM

see here http://tinyurl.com/5uy5f

Thanks all for the replys so far

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Dave C. wrote:
>
> > "Cookie" <lammbretta@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I got a PC here which refuses to show signal on monitor,
> >>mate says his kids flicked the voltage switch on the back of the PSU,
> >>down to 130v with out him knowing and when he switched it on there
> >>was a slight pop, I open up the PSU and the SM fuse has blown,
> >>so I stuck in another PSU and powered it up but there's no signal to the
> >>monitor,
> >>I'm not even sure if it's booting up properly, the power is going to MB,
> >>fans and drives spin up ok,
> >>I changed AGP gfx card and tried an old PCI card but still the same,
> >>I'm thinking the board has been damaged due to the voltage switch being
> >>changed
> >>and the board has been damaged before the fuse blew.
> >>

> > That makes sense as it was a forced LOW voltage condition.
>
> Actually, putting the switch to 130 when plugged into 240v mains is a
'high
> voltage' condition as it is expecting 130 but got 240.
>
> > I'm guessing the
> > CPU and/or motherboard is dead now. -Dave
>
> That's possible because as components failed inside the PSU it's
> indeterminate what the output voltages would be and if it did not have
> reverse and overvoltage protection that could damage anything connected to
it.

> It could also be that while replacing the power supply something got
> inadvertently bumped loose.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2004 2:05:39 PM

> I've checked all connections, nothing has came loose
>
> I have a system here running a XP1800 with PC2100 memory,
> would it be possible to test the CPU/memory in the dead system,
> would the memory just run at the lower speed of the board?
>
> the MB Supports 500MHz ~ 1.5GHz and faster and
> Supports PC-100 / PC-133 SDRAM and VCM SDRAM
>
> see here http://tinyurl.com/5uy5f
>
> Thanks all for the replys so far

It's not worth the effort. Your problem, if it's RAM, is more than JUST
RAM. Besides which, your RAM won't work on that board. The CPU might
actually work on that board. But then again, it's a good possibility that
you'd damage a good CPU by trying it. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2004 2:05:39 PM

Cookie wrote:

> I've checked all connections, nothing has came loose

Did you reseat the RAM?

> I have a system here running a XP1800 with PC2100 memory,
> would it be possible to test the CPU/memory in the dead system,
> would the memory just run at the lower speed of the board?
>
> the MB Supports 500MHz ~ 1.5GHz and faster and
> Supports PC-100 / PC-133 SDRAM and VCM SDRAM
>
> see here http://tinyurl.com/5uy5f

I'm guessing that is the 'broken' system?

You can't put PC100/133 memory in a DDR motherboard, unless it's something
like a K7S5A, but then you didn't say what the 'XP1800' motherboard was
other than to say you have PC2100 in it (which is DDR).

And the suspect processor you want to test in the unnamed XP1800
motherboard is a what?

> Thanks all for the replys so far
>

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>Dave C. wrote:
>>

>>>"Cookie" <lammbretta@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>That makes sense as it was a forced LOW voltage condition.
>>
>>Actually, putting the switch to 130 when plugged into 240v mains is a
>
> 'high
>
>>voltage' condition as it is expecting 130 but got 240.
>>

>>> I'm guessing the
>>>CPU and/or motherboard is dead now. -Dave
>>
>>That's possible because as components failed inside the PSU it's
>>indeterminate what the output voltages would be and if it did not have
>>reverse and overvoltage protection that could damage anything connected to
>
> it.
>
>>It could also be that while replacing the power supply something got
>>inadvertently bumped loose.

August 21, 2004 5:10:05 PM

>Did you reseat the RAM?

Yes, removed and replaced

>I'm guessing that is the 'broken' system?
> > see here http://tinyurl.com/5uy5f

Yes

> You can't put PC100/133 memory in a DDR motherboard, unless it's something
> like a K7S5A, but then you didn't say what the 'XP1800' motherboard was
> other than to say you have PC2100 in it (which is DDR).
>
> And the suspect processor you want to test in the unnamed XP1800
> motherboard is a what?

Epox EP-8KHA+ Socket A DDR Motherboard

Can't see it being the memory but I was thinking of putting the DDR into the
suspect
dead Gigabyte board along with the XP1800, not putting suspect dead CPU &
PC100 into the Epox.

I don't want to buy another MB and find out it's the CPU that's dead or vice
versa :-(

I suppose I could try the Suspect dead CPU in the Epox to eliminate that

> Cookie wrote:
>
> > I've checked all connections, nothing has came loose
>
> Did you reseat the RAM?
>

> > I have a system here running a XP1800 with PC2100 memory,
> > would it be possible to test the CPU/memory in the dead system,
> > would the memory just run at the lower speed of the board?
> >
> > the MB Supports 500MHz ~ 1.5GHz and faster and
> > Supports PC-100 / PC-133 SDRAM and VCM SDRAM
> >
> > see here http://tinyurl.com/5uy5f
>
> I'm guessing that is the 'broken' system?
>
> You can't put PC100/133 memory in a DDR motherboard, unless it's something
> like a K7S5A, but then you didn't say what the 'XP1800' motherboard was
> other than to say you have PC2100 in it (which is DDR).
>
> And the suspect processor you want to test in the unnamed XP1800
> motherboard is a what?
>

> > Thanks all for the replys so far
> >

> > "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

MB,

> >>Actually, putting the switch to 130 when plugged into 240v mains is a
> >
> > 'high
> >
> >>voltage' condition as it is expecting 130 but got 240.

> >>That's possible because as components failed inside the PSU it's
> >>indeterminate what the output voltages would be and if it did not have
> >>reverse and overvoltage protection that could damage anything connected
> >
> > it.
> >
> >>It could also be that while replacing the power supply something got
> >>inadvertently bumped loose.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2004 10:12:27 PM

Cookie wrote:

>>Did you reseat the RAM?
>

> Yes, removed and replaced
>

>>I'm guessing that is the 'broken' system?
>>
>>>see here http://tinyurl.com/5uy5f
>

> Yes
>

>>You can't put PC100/133 memory in a DDR motherboard, unless it's something
>>like a K7S5A, but then you didn't say what the 'XP1800' motherboard was
>>other than to say you have PC2100 in it (which is DDR).
>>
>>And the suspect processor you want to test in the unnamed XP1800
>>motherboard is a what?
>

> Epox EP-8KHA+ Socket A DDR Motherboard
>
> Can't see it being the memory but I was thinking of putting the DDR into the
> suspect
> dead Gigabyte board along with the XP1800, not putting suspect dead CPU &
> PC100 into the Epox.
>
> I don't want to buy another MB and find out it's the CPU that's dead or vice
> versa :-(
>
> I suppose I could try the Suspect dead CPU in the Epox to eliminate that

Yes, you can. You do, however, run a non-zero risk that if the processor is
bad it could damage the Epox too, but there's no way of knowing that before
hand.

The same goes in reverse, of course: e.g. testing the motherboard with a
known good processor.

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>Cookie wrote:
>>

>>>I've checked all connections, nothing has came loose
>>
>>Did you reseat the RAM?
>>

>>>I have a system here running a XP1800 with PC2100 memory,
>>>would it be possible to test the CPU/memory in the dead system,
>>>would the memory just run at the lower speed of the board?
>>>
>>>the MB Supports 500MHz ~ 1.5GHz and faster and
>>>Supports PC-100 / PC-133 SDRAM and VCM SDRAM
>>>
>>>see here http://tinyurl.com/5uy5f
>>
>>I'm guessing that is the 'broken' system?
>>
>>You can't put PC100/133 memory in a DDR motherboard, unless it's something
>>like a K7S5A, but then you didn't say what the 'XP1800' motherboard was
>>other than to say you have PC2100 in it (which is DDR).
>>
>>And the suspect processor you want to test in the unnamed XP1800
>>motherboard is a what?
>>

>>>Thanks all for the replys so far
>>>

>>>"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

> the

> MB,

> being

>>>'high

>>>it.

August 22, 2004 10:15:38 PM

I got hold of another stick of PC100 worked a treat :-)

Thanks to all who replied!

!