ghost problem

Using ghost from system works 2003, I save a partition to an image on a new
drive. Old drive removed, new drive installed. Do a restart and system wont
boot ie no boot device.

Ok set partition to active using xp diskmanager in another box (I think I
also used a dos boot floppy to set active partition once). new system now
boots but wont go past the welcome screen in xp, ie just before the login
screen showing users appears. I've managed to repeat the problem a few
times.I have tried the repair option and safe boots but still no luck.

any help much appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about ghost problem

    "maurice" <mauriceDELETEALLCAPS@WWWwidebaymultimedia.com> wrote in message
    > Using ghost from system works 2003, I save a partition to an image on a
    new
    > drive. Old drive removed, new drive installed. Do a restart and system
    wont
    > boot ie no boot device.
    >
    > Ok set partition to active using xp diskmanager in another box (I think I
    > also used a dos boot floppy to set active partition once). new system now
    > boots but wont go past the welcome screen in xp, ie just before the login
    > screen showing users appears. I've managed to repeat the problem a few
    > times.I have tried the repair option and safe boots but still no luck.
    >
    > any help much appreciated.

    Some image programs will not write an image successfully to an NTFS
    partition. In other words, the image program can't be used to reinstall
    Windows XP on a new drive from an image. That is, unless you install XP on
    FAT32, but who would do that??? Note I don't know about Ghost, if it has
    that problem with NTFS partitions or not. I do know that I just did exactly
    what you attempted to do with Acronis True Image 8. If the program hadn't
    worked, I'd still be facing several hours of software reinstalls on this
    system. I do know that I ruled out a couple of different disk image
    programs as they are DOS based for emergency image recovery, and DOS has no
    native support for NTFS. -Dave

    sp2? known issues with 2p2 and ghosting

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

    and do a repair install,,,,,,,from the other post,,,,,,,you should not
    swap mainboards unless identical without installing the correct
    chipset drivers...some people think that because the system is booted
    all must be well....but if you look at the boot log you would see a
    ton of unloaded DLL's and vxd's. the device manager jammed with
    duplicates. There is no need to format unless there are sector
    flaws,,but then I wouldn't use the drive.

    "maurice" <mauriceDELETEALLCAPS@WWWwidebaymultimedia.com> wrote in
    message news:4126a00a$0$6809$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
    > Using ghost from system works 2003, I save a partition to an image
    on a new
    > drive. Old drive removed, new drive installed. Do a restart and
    system wont
    > boot ie no boot device.
    >
    > Ok set partition to active using xp diskmanager in another box (I
    think I
    > also used a dos boot floppy to set active partition once). new
    system now
    > boots but wont go past the welcome screen in xp, ie just before the
    login
    > screen showing users appears. I've managed to repeat the problem a
    few
    > times.I have tried the repair option and safe boots but still no
    luck.

    > any help much appreciated.

    thanks for the repsonse but ghost sees and writes to ntfs partitions even
    when booted from a floppy, or it used to anyway!
    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > "maurice" <mauriceDELETEALLCAPS@WWWwidebaymultimedia.com> wrote in message
    > > Using ghost from system works 2003, I save a partition to an image on a
    > new
    > > drive. Old drive removed, new drive installed. Do a restart and system
    > wont
    > > boot ie no boot device.
    > >
    > > Ok set partition to active using xp diskmanager in another box (I think
    > > also used a dos boot floppy to set active partition once). new system
    now
    > > boots but wont go past the welcome screen in xp, ie just before the
    login
    > > screen showing users appears. I've managed to repeat the problem a few
    > > times.I have tried the repair option and safe boots but still no luck.
    > >
    > > any help much appreciated.
    > >

    > Some image programs will not write an image successfully to an NTFS
    > partition. In other words, the image program can't be used to reinstall
    > Windows XP on a new drive from an image. That is, unless you install XP
    on
    > FAT32, but who would do that??? Note I don't know about Ghost, if it has
    > that problem with NTFS partitions or not. I do know that I just did
    exactly
    > what you attempted to do with Acronis True Image 8. If the program hadn't
    > worked, I'd still be facing several hours of software reinstalls on this
    > system. I do know that I ruled out a couple of different disk image
    > programs as they are DOS based for emergency image recovery, and DOS has
    no
    > native support for NTFS. -Dave

    "maurice" <mauriceDELETEALLCAPS@WWWwidebaymultimedia.com> wrote in message

    > Using ghost from system works 2003, I save a partition to an image on a
    new
    > drive. Old drive removed, new drive installed. Do a restart and system
    wont
    > boot ie no boot device.
    >
    > Ok set partition to active using xp diskmanager in another box (I think I
    > also used a dos boot floppy to set active partition once). new system now
    > boots but wont go past the welcome screen in xp, ie just before the login
    > screen showing users appears. I've managed to repeat the problem a few
    > times.I have tried the repair option and safe boots but still no luck.

    I've ghosted and restored NTFS drives (XP Pro) many times in the past with
    no problems, but this has always been done as a cloning operation, not from
    an image. If the old drive and data are still available, try it again by
    cloning.

    I don't know if SP2 has issues with Ghost, but Symantec claims there are
    none. I have no experience with SP2, yet.

    I am unsure of your first sentence - you said you saved an image to the new
    drive? An image is a compressed backp of the drive, it is not useable in any
    way until the 'drive /partition from image' option is chosen, but your cant
    do that if the image is on the same drive that you want to create.
    What you need to do is choose the drive to drive, or partition to drive,
    clone option, and the new drive will be an exact copy of the old (maybe with
    more space though)
    Ghost 2003 does handle NTFS & FAT32 perfectly.
    The method I have used many times is to always keep the Ghost.exe dos
    program in the root of the C: drive, install the new drive in the PC, boot
    to DOS using a floppy or Win98/WinME CD, launch Ghost, Chose the drive to
    drive copy option and thats it - remove the old drive, install the new one
    as master and it boots just like the old one.
    Just make sure it is Ghost 2003, as earlier versions don't work with NTFS.
    The file size should be about 970K (earlier versions were about 600K)
    HTH

    "maurice" <mauriceDELETEALLCAPS@WWWwidebaymultimedia.com> wrote in message
    > Using ghost from system works 2003, I save a partition to an image on a
    new
    > drive. Old drive removed, new drive installed. Do a restart and system
    wont
    > boot ie no boot device.
    >
    > Ok set partition to active using xp diskmanager in another box (I think I
    > also used a dos boot floppy to set active partition once). new system now
    > boots but wont go past the welcome screen in xp, ie just before the login
    > screen showing users appears. I've managed to repeat the problem a few
    > times.I have tried the repair option and safe boots but still no luck.
    >
    > any help much appreciated.

Homebuilt Internet Explorer Partition Boot Systems