AMD Athlon Came Without Tape Over Heatsink

Hello

I bought a Athlon X 2800 boxed processor, via a relative from the
Fry's Elec. store in Dallas. On opening the package, I found that the
heatsink does not have a tape protecting the grey colored thermal
material. All instructions indicate that there should be a tape.
Should I use the heatsing as it is or should I return this or buy a
thermal paste and replace the existing square of the grey/white
semisolid stuff? Has anyone experienced this lack of tape?

Thanks in advance
Avinash
2 answers Last reply
More about athlon tape heatsink

    If the gray pad is intact then leave it and install. If otherwise then
    remove the pad and use a thermal paste.

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
    > Avinash Kachhy wrote:
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I bought a Athlon X 2800 boxed processor, via a relative from the
    > > Fry's Elec. store in Dallas. On opening the package, I found that the
    > > heatsink does not have a tape protecting the grey colored thermal
    > > material. All instructions indicate that there should be a tape.
    > > Should I use the heatsing as it is or should I return this or buy a
    > > thermal paste and replace the existing square of the grey/white
    > > semisolid stuff? Has anyone experienced this lack of tape?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Avinash
    >
    > Don't worry---be happy.

    My last Athlon Processor-In a-Box did not have tape, instead the thermal pad
    was protected by a clear, shaped, plastic cover that fitted over the
    heatsink. So long as the pad appears intact then no problem.
    "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
    > Avinash Kachhy wrote:
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I bought a Athlon X 2800 boxed processor, via a relative from the
    > > Fry's Elec. store in Dallas. On opening the package, I found that the
    > > heatsink does not have a tape protecting the grey colored thermal
    > > material. All instructions indicate that there should be a tape.
    > > Should I use the heatsing as it is or should I return this or buy a
    > > thermal paste and replace the existing square of the grey/white
    > > semisolid stuff? Has anyone experienced this lack of tape?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > > Avinash
    >
    > Don't worry---be happy.

Homebuilt Heatsinks Systems