Power Supply causes BSOD?

Just wondering, can a dying power supply cause a blue screen upon
startup? I had two fans running, and then all of a sudden, I get a stop
error. I turn off the computer and unplug the two fans, and bingo, no blue
screen. I then try each one seperately, and it works both times. I put
them both onto a switch and thought problem solved.
Now, the problem has escalated. Sometimes I can get into windows ok,
but the majority of the time I can only get into safe mode. Any
suggestions?

MC

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:44:02 -0400, "Moderately Confused"
<moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote:

> Just wondering, can a dying power supply cause a blue screen upon
> startup? I had two fans running, and then all of a sudden, I get a stop
> error. I turn off the computer and unplug the two fans, and bingo, no blue
> screen. I then try each one seperately, and it works both times. I put
> them both onto a switch and thought problem solved.
> Now, the problem has escalated. Sometimes I can get into windows ok,
> but the majority of the time I can only get into safe mode. Any
> suggestions?

Could be the power suppy. What type do you use?

Yes, power supply is but one reason why strange failures
happen. So first discover if that supply is reason for
problem. Because of how a power supply can cause strange
problems, first verify that supply is good before even
considering anything else. Procedures to make that
determination can be performed in seconds:
"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9

"w_tom" <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, power supply is but one reason why strange failures
> happen. So first discover if that supply is reason for
> problem. Because of how a power supply can cause strange
> problems, first verify that supply is good before even
> considering anything else. Procedures to make that
> determination can be performed in seconds:
> "Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
> Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
> "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
> Feb 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9

The PS definitely works, I'm just not sure if it's a software of hardware
problem. I need a new PS anyway, so I'll check it out.

Thanks,

MC

One cannot just look at the computer and know the power
supply is working. A power supply that does light lights and
spin disk drives can be 100% defective. Why you must first
use the multimeter.

Caution about so many power supplies sold to or by computer
assemblers. Defective by design. If the supply does not
list, in writing, a long list of numerical specs, then the
supply is typically missing essential functions that cause
disasters later. A minimally acceptable supply sells for
about $60 full retail. Those $25 and $40 supplies are often
the products of dumping because when computer assemblers don't
even have basic electrical knowledge.

Power supply problems encompass motherboard controller and
power switch; not just power supply. The meter recommendation
discovers power supply integrity. Once integrity of that
subsystem (not just PSU) is established, only then are you
ready to move on to other usual suspects.

First establish hardware integrity before suspecting
software. For example, minimally acceptable computer system
manufacturers provide comprehensive diagnostics. Best
executed in a 100 degree F room - which is normal operating
temperature for a typical computer with even one case fan.
Too often, computer assemblers will instead fix a symptom by
installing more fans rather than fix the originally defective
hardware Heat - 100 degrees or a hairdryer on high to
selectively heat component under test - is an essential tool
used with comprehensive diagnostics to locate failures.

I don't see the OS listed. Minimally acceptable OSes
provide further historical and operational information in the
Event log, Device Manager, and Task manager. More information
necessary before even trying to fix anything. Also numbers
from that BSOD provide important information - at least to
those who don't repair by shotgunning.

Chances are, only reason you would need a new power supply
is because the previous one is classic of the defective
supplies sold so often by computer assemblers. A 250 watt
supply (if rated correctly) is typically more than enough
power for most computers. But without those multimeter
numbers - including numbers that are in the upper 3/4 of those
limits - then you have no idea yet what to do or if power
supply is undersized. Too many supplies don't even list their
wattage accurately because so many computer assemblers hype
wattage as Tim Allen did in Home Improvement and "More
Power". Do not wildly buy a new supply or buy one that does
not provide a long list of necessary internal functions (ie a
classic supply sold by computer assemblers who have no
fundamental electrical knowledge).

Moderately Confused wrote:
>> ... Procedures to make that determination can be performed
>> in seconds:
>> "Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
>> Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
>> "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
>> Feb 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9
>
> The PS definitely works, I'm just not sure if it's a software
> of hardware problem. I need a new PS anyway, so I'll check it out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> MC

tool

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah man with all that stuff you're running off of it (almost
identical to what I run off my PSU) I'd go with no less then a
480watt, you can get a nice thermaltake 480watt right now from newegg
for 56 bucks and its so worth it. Hey for even a little more you can
get one with a TWV they call it (TWV = Total Watts Viewer) and with a
480watt power supply costs 71 bucks plus shipping so about 78 bucks.
I just ordered one, if you want I'll tell you my total wattage that I
use before you choose the wattage you want to buy.

==============

"Tool" <dragonarcher@adelphia-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Yeah man with all that stuff you're running off of it (almost
> identical to what I run off my PSU) I'd go with no less then a
> 480watt, you can get a nice thermaltake 480watt right now from newegg
> for 56 bucks and its so worth it. Hey for even a little more you can
> get one with a TWV they call it (TWV = Total Watts Viewer) and with a
> 480watt power supply costs 71 bucks plus shipping so about 78 bucks.
> I just ordered one, if you want I'll tell you my total wattage that I
> use before you choose the wattage you want to buy.

Sure, that would be great. I probably will go with the 480, because I plan
to get more drives and stuff anyway.

Thanks

MC

At 480 watts, the power supply would probably be three times
larger than required (if it really is 480 watts). Disk drives
actually draw very little power. Don't fall for the Tim Allen
hype of more power. More important is less watts while
putting more money put into other essential power supply
functions. Because they are selling to the technically naive,
clone power supply manufacturers dump into N America power
supplies that hype big watts and don't even provide essential
functions demanded by Intel, Dell, IBM and so many other
responsible computer manufacturers.

Do the numbers. 480 watts is grossly oversized. Fine as
long as the power supply first contains other essential
functions. But that means you must spend time learning about
those other functions (do they even exist in that supply) and
little time worrying about watts.