accesss denied on downstairs computer. what is node type "..

Please explain what hybrid is & how adding it to the registry will enable
access.
These are the instructions I was told to follow to get my access back.

1- Open dos prompt, type ipconfig -all.
2- Look at the 'Node Type' it probably says Peer-Peer or something (this is
what mine said)
.... we want it to say 'Hybrid'
3- Press 'Start' button > Run... > In the box type regedit. This opens your
system's registry.
4- Navigate the tree to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/NetBT/Parameters
5- Rt. mouse click and select New > DWORD Value
6- Name it 'NodeType' (without the quotes)
7- Rt. mouse click on it and select Modify
8- Set Value Data to '8' (no quotes)
9- Leave Base alone. 'Hexadecimal' should be selected
10- Press 'ok'
11- Close regedit and reboot. (Your done!)
12- Open dos prompt and type ipconfig -all
For node type it should now say 'Hybrid'
13- Do this to the other computer that you cannot network. Your computers
should be able to see one another.
----------
I do not know what 'Hybrid' is, but perhaps some of the network guys might
be able to explain. I have used this on two different occasions and it seems
to be the only thing that works.
SYMPTOMS
When users try to access shared folders, they may receive the following
error message:
Access denied. You might not have perrmission to access this network
resource.

anyone ??? thanks in advance

The NodeType parameter determines the sources and order from which NetBT
attempts to resolve names. Peer-Peer probably indicates P Node, and this
will not work for you unless you have a WINS server on your network. For
most workgroup environments, either B node or H node are the best choices.
See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160177

Doug sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP