Can't install Windows with certain brand of optical drive

Has anyone ever heard of anything even remotely like the following?

- When I attempted to do an install on a new hard disk I was unable to do so.

- Windows XP booted up from the CD-ROM, loaded all of the drivers and then
just when the little status bar said "Starting Windows" the system
blue-screened with an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DISK error.

- I subsequently tried Windows 2000, and Windows 2003 both of which gave the
same error. (Or INVALID_BOOT_PARTITION). I tried multiple hard disks,
(including the previous one that was running) ... same deal.

- I tried multiple IDE cables and both IDE hookups ... same problem.

- I tried a PCI based IDE controller ... same deal.

- Just when I was about to give up hope, I swapped out the optical drive that
I was booting from. That worked.

Apparently I can't install Windows when booting from a LITEON 4X DVD+RW
drive, but I *can* install when I boot from a basic bare bones SAMSUNG
CD-ROM. ( I was glad that I kept it when I installed the new drive. )

Very odd ... Now I have to remember to swap out the optical disk should I
need to reinstall.

Has anyone ever heard of this?
10 answers Last reply
More about install windows brand optical drive

    installing to a SATA drive? you have to install the sata drivers
    first from floppy (if in fact this is what is happening)

    "nospam" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone ever heard of anything even remotely like the following?
    >
    > - When I attempted to do an install on a new hard disk I was unable
    to do so.

    > - Windows XP booted up from the CD-ROM, loaded all of the drivers
    and then
    > just when the little status bar said "Starting Windows" the system
    > blue-screened with an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DISK error.
    >
    > - I subsequently tried Windows 2000, and Windows 2003 both of which
    gave the
    > same error. (Or INVALID_BOOT_PARTITION). I tried multiple hard
    disks,
    > (including the previous one that was running) ... same deal.
    >
    > - I tried multiple IDE cables and both IDE hookups ... same problem.
    >
    > - I tried a PCI based IDE controller ... same deal.
    >
    > - Just when I was about to give up hope, I swapped out the optical
    drive that
    > I was booting from. That worked.
    >
    > Apparently I can't install Windows when booting from a LITEON 4X
    DVD+RW
    > drive, but I *can* install when I boot from a basic bare bones
    SAMSUNG
    > CD-ROM. ( I was glad that I kept it when I installed the new
    drive. )

    > Very odd ... Now I have to remember to swap out the optical disk
    should I
    > need to reinstall.
    >
    > Has anyone ever heard of this?

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:45:10 -0400, JAD wrote
    (in article <10iic4t5lo3em3c@corp.supernews.com>):

    > installing to a SATA drive? you have to install the sata drivers
    > first from floppy (if in fact this is what is happening)

    Nope. EIDE.

    If it were SATA, then the problem would manifest itself with both optical
    drives, not just the LITEON DVD+RW, correct?

    yeah that's true hmmmm you know through experience that not all Roms
    read all media. Whether it be a commercial disk or burned, the later
    being far more frequent of course. The disk is stamped or burned?

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:45:10 -0400, JAD wrote
    > (in article <10iic4t5lo3em3c@corp.supernews.com>):
    >
    > > installing to a SATA drive? you have to install the sata
    drivers
    > > first from floppy (if in fact this is what is happening)
    >
    > Nope. EIDE.
    >
    > If it were SATA, then the problem would manifest itself with both
    optical
    > drives, not just the LITEON DVD+RW, correct?

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:44:31 -0400 To confuse Arrogance with
    Confidence is as stupid as to confuse Ambition with Ability and then
    nospam <nospam@nospam.net> wrote :

    >Has anyone ever heard of anything even remotely like the following?
    >
    >- When I attempted to do an install on a new hard disk I was unable to do so.
    >

    >- Windows XP booted up from the CD-ROM, loaded all of the drivers and then
    >just when the little status bar said "Starting Windows" the system
    >blue-screened with an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DISK error.
    >
    >- I subsequently tried Windows 2000, and Windows 2003 both of which gave the
    >same error. (Or INVALID_BOOT_PARTITION). I tried multiple hard disks,
    >(including the previous one that was running) ... same deal.
    >
    >- I tried multiple IDE cables and both IDE hookups ... same problem.
    >
    >- I tried a PCI based IDE controller ... same deal.
    >
    >- Just when I was about to give up hope, I swapped out the optical drive that
    >I was booting from. That worked.
    >
    >Apparently I can't install Windows when booting from a LITEON 4X DVD+RW
    >drive, but I *can* install when I boot from a basic bare bones SAMSUNG
    >CD-ROM. ( I was glad that I kept it when I installed the new drive. )
    >
    >Very odd ... Now I have to remember to swap out the optical disk should I
    >need to reinstall.
    >
    >Has anyone ever heard of this?

    Nope.But I know what I would do.
    Download this bootable .iso,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/bootd.zip
    burn to CDR/W
    Set bios boot to CDR 1st.
    When CD load issue the command
    aefdisk \delall
    and press enter.
    Shutdown and fully power off system e.g pull the power cord out.Leave
    for 30 secs.

    Re-boot with disk of your choice and try again.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:24:28 -0400, Shep© wrote
    (in article <4kaii0p058ir4279cbfboiuts3sb1h03tl@4ax.com>):

    > Nope.But I know what I would do.
    > Download this bootable .iso,
    > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/bootd.zip
    > burn to CDR/W
    > Set bios boot to CDR 1st.
    > When CD load issue the command
    > aefdisk \delall
    > and press enter.
    > Shutdown and fully power off system e.g pull the power cord out.Leave
    > for 30 secs.
    >
    > Re-boot with disk of your choice and try again.
    > HTH :)

    I'll give it a try.

    What does this do?

    The disk is stamped.

    The odd part is this: It starts to read the disk. It looks normal, loads all
    drivers ... it's just when it gets to the part that says "Starting Windows"
    does it crash.

    very odd ...

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:13:24 -0400, JAD wrote
    (in article <10iihad3fbvlh84@corp.supernews.com>):

    > yeah that's true hmmmm you know through experience that not all Roms
    > read all media. Whether it be a commercial disk or burned, the later
    > being far more frequent of course. The disk is stamped or burned?
    >
    > "nospam" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:45:10 -0400, JAD wrote
    >> (in article <10iic4t5lo3em3c@corp.supernews.com>):
    >>
    >>> installing to a SATA drive? you have to install the sata
    > drivers
    >>> first from floppy (if in fact this is what is happening)
    >>
    >> Nope. EIDE.
    >>
    >> If it were SATA, then the problem would manifest itself with both
    > optical
    >> drives, not just the LITEON DVD+RW, correct?

    what about a safe mode start possibly just a bad vid driver or sound

    nospam wrote:

    > The disk is stamped.
    >
    > The odd part is this: It starts to read the disk. It looks normal, loads all
    > drivers ... it's just when it gets to the part that says "Starting Windows"
    > does it crash.

    The symptom you describe is typical of having the wrong IDE driver that
    fails when it's loaded, at about the time you describe, so the hard drive
    becomes 'lost'. I.E. since the driver doesn't operate correctly it can't
    see the hard drive.

    Why the DVD drive causes that I don't know unless you have it jumpered in
    some manner that's incompatible with the hard drive, like one set directly
    as a master or slave and the other cable select, or two masters, two
    slaves, etc, so that it becomes confused when the IDE controller goes
    'smart' with the full driver. Also, some boards do not like having a
    'slave' device with no master on the same IDE channel.

    > very odd ...
    >

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:13:24 -0400, JAD wrote
    > (in article <10iihad3fbvlh84@corp.supernews.com>):
    >

    >>yeah that's true hmmmm you know through experience that not all Roms
    >>read all media. Whether it be a commercial disk or burned, the later
    >>being far more frequent of course. The disk is stamped or burned?
    >>
    >>"nospam" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:45:10 -0400, JAD wrote
    >>>(in article <10iic4t5lo3em3c@corp.supernews.com>):

    >>drivers

    >>>Nope. EIDE.
    >>>
    >>>If it were SATA, then the problem would manifest itself with both
    >>
    >>optical
    >>
    >>>drives, not just the LITEON DVD+RW, correct?

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:54:34 -0400 To confuse Arrogance with
    Confidence is as stupid as to confuse Ambition with Ability and then
    nospam <nospam@nospam.net> wrote :

    >On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:24:28 -0400, Shep© wrote
    >(in article <4kaii0p058ir4279cbfboiuts3sb1h03tl@4ax.com>):
    >
    >> Nope.But I know what I would do.
    >> Download this bootable .iso,
    >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/bootd.zip
    >> burn to CDR/W
    >> Set bios boot to CDR 1st.
    >> When CD load issue the command
    >> aefdisk \delall
    >> and press enter.
    >> Shutdown and fully power off system e.g pull the power cord out.Leave
    >> for 30 secs.
    >>
    >> Re-boot with disk of your choice and try again.
    >> HTH :)
    >
    >I'll give it a try.
    >
    >What does this do?

    It clears the hard drive of the faulty data that has been left in the
    boot sector that is preventing your install.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply
    email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:56:48 -0400, Shep© wrote
    (in article <qrhni05i300n0qilsp8nhm9dikgfbil207@4ax.com>):

    > Subject: Re: Can't install Windows with certain brand of optical
    drive
    > From: Shep© <nospam@nospam.net>
    > Date: Tuesday 6:56 PM
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    >
    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:54:34 -0400 To confuse Arrogance with
    > Confidence is as stupid as to confuse Ambition with Ability and then
    > nospam <nospam@nospam.net> wrote :
    >
    >> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:24:28 -0400, Shep© wrote
    >> (in article <4kaii0p058ir4279cbfboiuts3sb1h03tl@4ax.com>):
    >>
    >>> Nope.But I know what I would do.
    >>> Download this bootable .iso,
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/bootd.zip
    >>> burn to CDR/W
    >>> Set bios boot to CDR 1st.
    >>> When CD load issue the command
    >>> aefdisk \delall
    >>> and press enter.
    >>> Shutdown and fully power off system e.g pull the power cord out.Leave
    >>> for 30 secs.
    >>>
    >>> Re-boot with disk of your choice and try again.
    >>> HTH :)
    >>
    >> I'll give it a try.
    >>
    >> What does this do?
    >>

    > It clears the hard drive of the faulty data that has been left in the
    > boot sector that is preventing your install.
    > HTH :)

    I'm thinking that this isn't the problem. (The same problem occurred with 3
    different hard disks, including one brand new one out of the box.)

Homebuilt Systems