Radeon 9600XT Crashing .... question

I have a system which includes the following:

ASUS A7V8X motherboard
Athlon XP 2800+ Processor
1GB RAM
Radeon 9600XT video card
2 western digital hard disks (120GB, 80GB)
1 DVD+RW
Windows XP Professional SP1

Whenever I play a game that turns the graphics card into accelerated mode I
get VPU crashes.

I did a fresh install of Windows and installed the latest 4-in-1 drivers, the
latest AGP driver and even upgraded my BIOS to the latest release.

I even swapped out a Radeon 9600 Pro that was doing the same thing for the XT
model.

Short of swapping my motherboard I don't know what else to try.

I have a 350W power-supply ... is this adequate?
4 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9600xt crashing question

    nospam wrote:
    > I have a system which includes the following:
    >
    > ASUS A7V8X motherboard
    > Athlon XP 2800+ Processor
    > 1GB RAM
    > Radeon 9600XT video card
    > 2 western digital hard disks (120GB, 80GB)
    > 1 DVD+RW
    > Windows XP Professional SP1
    >
    > Whenever I play a game that turns the graphics card into accelerated mode I
    > get VPU crashes.
    >
    > I did a fresh install of Windows and installed the latest 4-in-1 drivers, the
    > latest AGP driver and even upgraded my BIOS to the latest release.
    >
    > I even swapped out a Radeon 9600 Pro that was doing the same thing for the XT
    > model.
    >
    > Short of swapping my motherboard I don't know what else to try.
    >
    > I have a 350W power-supply ... is this adequate?

    I had a similar problem with an even less powerful PSU. It turns out the
    card (or was it the motherboard) wouldn't perform at 8x. Turning it down
    to 4x in the ATi drivers fixed it. I still would prefer 8x performance,
    though. My system:

    GA7-VA motherboard
    XP2400+ CPU
    512mb RAM
    GeCube Radeon 9600XT (128mb)
    40GB HDD
    FDD
    CDROM
    DVR-106 DVD burner
    etc etc
    XP Home SP1

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:15:42 -0400, spodosaurus wrote
    (in article <4129e0c3$1@quokka.wn.com.au>):

    > I had a similar problem with an even less powerful PSU. It turns out the
    > card (or was it the motherboard) wouldn't perform at 8x. Turning it down
    > to 4x in the ATi drivers fixed it. I still would prefer 8x performance,
    > though. My system:
    >
    > GA7-VA motherboard
    > XP2400+ CPU
    > 512mb RAM
    > GeCube Radeon 9600XT (128mb)
    > 40GB HDD
    > FDD
    > CDROM
    > DVR-106 DVD burner
    > etc etc
    > XP Home SP1

    Thanks ... I'll give it a try.
    I'm disappointed with this ASUS board. I've had a few quirky problems which
    simply didn't exist with my Gigabyte board in my other (slower) machine. I
    used to swear by ASUS.

    One thing that seemed to improve things: I increased the AGP voltage to 1.6.
    I've only load tested it for less than an hour. (Which is far longer than
    it ran before.) I'll test it more when I get home this evening.

    Do you see any negatives to changing the AGP voltage from "AUTO" ???

    "nospam" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:15:42 -0400, spodosaurus wrote
    > (in article <4129e0c3$1@quokka.wn.com.au>):
    >
    > > I had a similar problem with an even less powerful PSU. It turns out the
    > > card (or was it the motherboard) wouldn't perform at 8x. Turning it down
    > > to 4x in the ATi drivers fixed it. I still would prefer 8x performance,
    > > though. My system:
    > >
    > > GA7-VA motherboard
    > > XP2400+ CPU
    > > 512mb RAM
    > > GeCube Radeon 9600XT (128mb)
    > > 40GB HDD
    > > FDD
    > > CDROM
    > > DVR-106 DVD burner
    > > etc etc
    > > XP Home SP1
    >
    > Thanks ... I'll give it a try.
    > I'm disappointed with this ASUS board. I've had a few quirky problems
    which
    > simply didn't exist with my Gigabyte board in my other (slower) machine.
    > used to swear by ASUS.
    >
    > One thing that seemed to improve things: I increased the AGP voltage to
    1.6.
    > I've only load tested it for less than an hour. (Which is far longer
    than
    > it ran before.) I'll test it more when I get home this evening.
    >
    > Do you see any negatives to changing the AGP voltage from "AUTO" ???

    I've tried ABit...good; Asus...not so good; and Gigabyte. I swear by
    Gigabyte now. Fewer problems, and good solid performance. IMHO of course

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:11:11 -0400, tooly wrote
    (in article <GZuXc.38598$0o5.306@bignews1.bellsouth.net>):

    > I've tried ABit...good; Asus...not so good; and Gigabyte. I swear by
    > Gigabyte now. Fewer problems, and good solid performance. IMHO of course

    I'm coming to the point where I agree with you. ASUS used to be good in
    years past.

    My other machine has a Gigabyte motherboard. I'm MUCH happier with that
    mobo.

Homebuilt Radeon Windows XP Systems