XP reboots, in all F8 modes, virus problem

Hi,

My friend's wife's computer started acting funny a couple of weeks ago, and
it gradually got worse. From talking on the phone it sounded like a virus
in a restore point, but by the time he got around to looking at it, it would
no longer boot at all. Somehow she had managed to get it to boot and could
get some online time before it rebooted so she just used it that way until
it stopped booting altogether.
So now it's on my dining room table.

Here's what I did so far:
Tried normal boot. No Go.
Tried to get it to come up in Safe Mode. No Go.
Tried to get it to come up from last known good restore point. No go.
Set it to boot from the A drive and got to a dos prompt with a dos system
disk.
Got vcleaner on a floppy from Grissoft's web site, and tried to run it. No
luck, it won't run from a dos prompt.
I have an old 500 MB hard drive with win98 on it. Took the XP drive out,
and set the system up using win98.
Put the XP drive back in as a Slave hoping I could run Vcleaner on the slave
drive. No luck because
the XP drive doesn't show up in My Computer. I guess it's because 98 is Fat
32 and XP is NTFS so 98 can't see it.

Which is the end of the line for me. I don't know what else to do. Can
anybody give me some advice on how to
proceed? Due to the time involved in re-loading XP, all her software, and
loosing all her data files, I'd rather
fix it if I can, or take it to somebody who could, if I can't so I don't
have to deal with "you lost all my files!"

TIA for any ideas,

Al
26 answers Last reply
More about reboots modes virus problem

    won't boot from a dos disk? 98 or Me or
    something...www.bootdisk.com....... if it won't boot to dos then its
    not a "software problem". Since safe mode won't boot, the restore
    point thing doesn't apply, as its not loaded nor is it using a restore
    point to boot currently. Since it won't boot to SM, I would say
    possibly a memory problem or maybe a HD malfunction. Can you run
    scandisk from dos?

    "!Allen Lasting" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My friend's wife's computer started acting funny a couple of weeks
    ago, and
    > it gradually got worse. From talking on the phone it sounded like a
    virus
    > in a restore point, but by the time he got around to looking at it,
    it would
    > no longer boot at all. Somehow she had managed to get it to boot
    and could
    > get some online time before it rebooted so she just used it that way
    until
    > it stopped booting altogether.
    > So now it's on my dining room table.
    >
    > Here's what I did so far:
    > Tried normal boot. No Go.
    > Tried to get it to come up in Safe Mode. No Go.
    > Tried to get it to come up from last known good restore point. No
    go.
    > Set it to boot from the A drive and got to a dos prompt with a dos
    system
    > disk.
    > Got vcleaner on a floppy from Grissoft's web site, and tried to run
    it. No
    > luck, it won't run from a dos prompt.
    > I have an old 500 MB hard drive with win98 on it. Took the XP drive
    out,
    > and set the system up using win98.
    > Put the XP drive back in as a Slave hoping I could run Vcleaner on
    the slave
    > drive. No luck because
    > the XP drive doesn't show up in My Computer. I guess it's because
    98 is Fat
    > 32 and XP is NTFS so 98 can't see it.
    >
    > Which is the end of the line for me. I don't know what else to do.
    Can
    > anybody give me some advice on how to
    > proceed? Due to the time involved in re-loading XP, all her
    software, and
    > loosing all her data files, I'd rather
    > fix it if I can, or take it to somebody who could, if I can't so I
    don't
    > have to deal with "you lost all my files!"
    >
    > TIA for any ideas,
    >
    > Al

    ooops missed part of that...........try and boot from the CD-ROM
    (XP) and do a repair install

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:36:30 -0400, "!Allen Lasting" <bogus@nowhere.net>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My friend's wife's computer started acting funny a couple of weeks ago, and
    >it gradually got worse. From talking on the phone it sounded like a virus
    >in a restore point, but by the time he got around to looking at it, it would
    >no longer boot at all. Somehow she had managed to get it to boot and could
    >get some online time before it rebooted so she just used it that way until
    >it stopped booting altogether.
    >So now it's on my dining room table.
    >
    >Here's what I did so far:
    >Tried normal boot. No Go.
    >Tried to get it to come up in Safe Mode. No Go.
    >Tried to get it to come up from last known good restore point. No go.
    >Set it to boot from the A drive and got to a dos prompt with a dos system
    >disk.
    >Got vcleaner on a floppy from Grissoft's web site, and tried to run it. No
    >luck, it won't run from a dos prompt.
    >I have an old 500 MB hard drive with win98 on it. Took the XP drive out,
    >and set the system up using win98.
    >Put the XP drive back in as a Slave hoping I could run Vcleaner on the slave
    >drive. No luck because
    >the XP drive doesn't show up in My Computer. I guess it's because 98 is Fat
    >32 and XP is NTFS so 98 can't see it.
    >
    >Which is the end of the line for me. I don't know what else to do. Can
    >anybody give me some advice on how to
    >proceed? Due to the time involved in re-loading XP, all her software, and
    >loosing all her data files, I'd rather
    >fix it if I can, or take it to somebody who could, if I can't so I don't
    >have to deal with "you lost all my files!"
    >
    >TIA for any ideas,
    >
    >Al

    - take the drive to a shop where they can scan and disinfect it.

    - build a Bootable Windows XP CD and scan and disinfect it yourself.
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    This is what I'd do, but I already have a bootable CD handy.

    - convert the drive to FAT32 and scan it from DOS.
    http://www.partitionmagic.com/partitionmagic/

    - install a NTFS driver to your W98 setup and scan the NTFS drive that
    way.

    - Do a repair install of XP so you don't have to reinstall the software,
    but this probably wouldn't fix a virus problem. It might let you boot
    into the system long enough to fix it however.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Michael Cecil wrote:

    > - Do a repair install of XP so you don't have to reinstall the software,
    > but this probably wouldn't fix a virus problem. It might let you boot
    > into the system long enough to fix it however.
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    IMHO that would be the best thing to try first.

    thanks for advice. The consensus looks like I should try to do a repair
    install first. Is this the same as installing 98 over itself? I've done
    that in the past successfully. I mean, is it the same idea where the data
    and the installed software arn't deleted?

    Al

    yes

    > thanks for advice. The consensus looks like I should try to do a
    repair
    > install first. Is this the same as installing 98 over itself? I've
    done
    > that in the past successfully. I mean, is it the same idea where
    the data
    > and the installed software arn't deleted?
    >
    > Al

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:43:56 -0400, ToolPackinMama
    <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

    >Michael Cecil wrote:
    >
    >> - Do a repair install of XP so you don't have to reinstall the software,
    >> but this probably wouldn't fix a virus problem. It might let you boot
    >> into the system long enough to fix it however.
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
    >
    >IMHO that would be the best thing to try first.

    I was just listing things to try, not any preference in order to try them.
    I'd do this first too, if I didn't have the PE disc.

    --

    Michael Cecil wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:43:56 -0400, ToolPackinMama
    > <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:
    >
    > >Michael Cecil wrote:
    > >
    > >> - Do a repair install of XP so you don't have to reinstall the software,
    > >> but this probably wouldn't fix a virus problem. It might let you boot
    > >> into the system long enough to fix it however.
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
    > >
    > >IMHO that would be the best thing to try first.
    >
    > I was just listing things to try

    Yes, and a lovely list it was, too. :)

    Hi,
    No go on the repair solution. It started ok, and then when it was at 13
    minutes to lift off, it hung giving this error msg:

    unregmp2.exe
    procedure entry point GETIUMS could nt be located in the dynamic link
    library MSDART.dll.

    I hope in layman's terms this intrepets as, "hey, it's cool. no problem
    here, hit these keys, and all's well"

    You guys know the which keys they may be?

    Al

    !Allen Lasting wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My friend's wife's computer started acting funny a couple of weeks ago,
    > and it gradually got worse. From talking on the phone it sounded like a
    > virus in a restore point, but by the time he got around to looking at
    > it, it would no longer boot at all. Somehow she had managed to get it
    > to boot and could get some online time before it rebooted so she just
    > used it that way until it stopped booting altogether. So now it's on my
    > dining room table.
    >
    > Here's what I did so far: Tried normal boot. No Go. Tried to get it to
    > come up in Safe Mode. No Go. Tried to get it to come up from last known
    > good restore point. No go. Set it to boot from the A drive and got to a
    > dos prompt with a dos system disk. Got vcleaner on a floppy from
    > Grissoft's web site, and tried to run it. No luck, it won't run from a
    > dos prompt. I have an old 500 MB hard drive with win98 on it. Took the
    > XP drive out, and set the system up using win98. Put the XP drive back
    > in as a Slave hoping I could run Vcleaner on the slave drive. No luck
    > because the XP drive doesn't show up in My Computer. I guess it's
    > because 98 is Fat 32 and XP is NTFS so 98 can't see it.
    >
    > Which is the end of the line for me. I don't know what else to do. Can
    > anybody give me some advice on how to proceed? Due to the time
    > involved in re-loading XP, all her software, and loosing all her data
    > files, I'd rather fix it if I can, or take it to somebody who could, if
    > I can't so I don't have to deal with "you lost all my files!"
    >
    > TIA for any ideas,
    >
    > Al

    Well, doing a repair install will save the programs and settings but it'll
    probably reinfect itself as soon as it comes back up.

    Get a larger test drive, install XP on it, and then do what you were trying
    to do with Win98. Except I'd put a virus scanner on it and do a complete
    virus scan and not just for the one you think it is.

    Then put it back as the main drive and do a repair from the install CD. Not
    the first two repair options it gives (recovery console or recovery
    floppy). Go on as if doing a fresh install and then when it finds the
    existing system it'll again ask if you want to do a new install or try
    repairing the exiting installation. Say repair at that point. If it doesn't
    ask then don't continue or else it'll do a fresh install clearing out the
    registry (and losing the programs install).

    Hey a friend has a similar sounding issue at present - after D/L a game form
    Download.com and a critical update from MS (maybe pure coincidence) he can't
    boot into XP - and repair install from the XP CD does not work either!
    'course a problem is that with any FAT boot disk you can't see NTFS
    partitions, but worryingly CHKDSK shows that the disk is 40gb with 38gb free
    space! Apart from XP on the drive he did have many GB's or documents /
    photos - so god knows where it's all gone - or is it just that from DOS it
    is not seeing the NTFS files at all and is reporting it as free space? If
    all the files have gone, then I guess that is why repair install does not
    work, as the CD can't find any windowsfiles to repair...
    To add to the mystery, he tried fresh install from his Evesham XP disk, and
    that won't work either!
    I have run out of ideas to help - can anyone suggest other stuff to try?

    "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
    > Michael Cecil wrote:
    >
    > > - Do a repair install of XP so you don't have to reinstall the software,
    > > but this probably wouldn't fix a virus problem. It might let you boot
    > > into the system long enough to fix it however.
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
    >
    > IMHO that would be the best thing to try first.

    I just found this and it looks promising:

    Error "Unregmp2.exe - entry point not found, the Procedure entry point
    GETIUMS could not be located in the Dynamic link library MSDART.DLL."

    ----

    The above error may occur when the Windows XP clean or a repair installation
    is running.

    To fix this problem, please do the following:

    1. Press SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt.

    2. Type TASKMGR.EXE in the DOS window and press enter. This will open the
    Task Manager.

    NOTE: If this doesn't work, try CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.

    4. In the Task Manager, select the error message window in the Application
    list and click End Task.

    5. Click the Processes tab and select the process UNREGMP2.EXE and click End
    Process.

    6. Exit the Command Prompt and resume the installation process.

    This should help.

    !Allen Lasting wrote:

    > I just found this and it looks promising:
    >
    > Error "Unregmp2.exe - entry point not found, the Procedure entry point
    > GETIUMS could not be located in the Dynamic link library MSDART.DLL."

    > ----
    >
    > The above error may occur when the Windows XP clean or a repair installation
    > is running.
    >
    > To fix this problem, please do the following:
    >
    > 1. Press SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt.
    >
    > 2. Type TASKMGR.EXE in the DOS window and press enter. This will open the
    > Task Manager.
    >
    > NOTE: If this doesn't work, try CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    >
    > 4. In the Task Manager, select the error message window in the Application
    > list and click End Task.
    >
    > 5. Click the Processes tab and select the process UNREGMP2.EXE and click End
    > Process.
    >
    > 6. Exit the Command Prompt and resume the installation process.
    >
    > This should help.

    Yes. You probably have an original issue CD with SP1 installed on the
    system later. Loves to do that.

    That fix works. But if you don't remember it, my common problem, hitting
    continue about 50 million times works as well. It just wears out fingers.

    Also, after the repair there will be things 'missing' and programs will
    attempt to 'install' themselves again. Just cancel those and reinstall SP1
    (and your I.E. updates). Everything will then automagically reappear and
    they'll stop complaining that they're not installed.

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:39:32 -0400, "!Allen Lasting" <bogus@nowhere.net>
    wrote:

    >thanks for advice. The consensus looks like I should try to do a repair
    >install first. Is this the same as installing 98 over itself? I've done
    >that in the past successfully. I mean, is it the same idea where the data
    >and the installed software arn't deleted?

    Yes.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Hi David,
    Thanks for your tips.
    You were right. I got it up, but it reinfected itself.
    So this morning, I just wiped it and reinstalled.
    I'll probably get killed for that, but hey, at
    least it works again.

    Al
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    !Allen Lasting wrote:

    > Hi David,
    > Thanks for your tips.
    > You were right. I got it up, but it reinfected itself.
    > So this morning, I just wiped it and reinstalled.
    > I'll probably get killed for that, but hey, at
    > least it works again.
    >
    > Al

    Uh, I guess it's too late to talk about ways to get the data off it =:O)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Uh, I guess it's too late to talk about ways to get the data off it =:O)

    Hi,

    Yeah, too late for me to do it, but when she picked it up she actually was
    very nice
    about it. Her husband had backed up her stuff about a month ago
    figuring she hadn't. Whew....what good luck.

    Who ever wrote the virus/worm/whatever that got her machine
    knew what he/she was doing. When it started rebooting again,
    after I thought I had it fixed, I cleared the cmos settings and that
    didn't work. Then I suspected the power supply. Vexing to say the least.
    Swapped out two, and then said, "Oh well, time to get the fire hose."

    Al
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    what was the name of the virus....did the AV ever say what it was?

    > > Uh, I guess it's too late to talk about ways to get the data off
    it =:O)

    > Hi,
    >
    > Yeah, too late for me to do it, but when she picked it up she
    actually was
    > very nice
    > about it. Her husband had backed up her stuff about a month ago
    > figuring she hadn't. Whew....what good luck.
    >
    > Who ever wrote the virus/worm/whatever that got her machine
    > knew what he/she was doing. When it started rebooting again,
    > after I thought I had it fixed, I cleared the cmos settings and that
    > didn't work. Then I suspected the power supply. Vexing to say the
    least.
    > Swapped out two, and then said, "Oh well, time to get the fire
    hose."

    > Al

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > what was the name of the virus....did the AV ever say what it was?

    I want to know also. I've been following this thread. My nephew's system
    was protected by firewall and anti-virus software. But it seems to have
    picked up the exact same virus. I haven't gotten my hands on it yet, so I
    don't know what I'm dealing with. I'm curious what virus did this, wiped
    out the hard drive and won't allow to boot to safe mode or even reinstall
    windows. -Dave
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:38:59 -0400, "!Allen Lasting"
    <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:

    >Hi David,
    >Thanks for your tips.
    >You were right. I got it up, but it reinfected itself.
    >So this morning, I just wiped it and reinstalled.
    >I'll probably get killed for that, but hey, at
    >least it works again.
    >
    >Al

    Soon as you can download a current version of KNOPPIX. With that
    you'll have access to the data from which you can then save to a CD.

    That computer sounds like a ready candidate for Linux.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    !Allen Lasting wrote:

    >>Uh, I guess it's too late to talk about ways to get the data off it =:O)
    >

    > Hi,
    >
    > Yeah, too late for me to do it, but when she picked it up she actually was
    > very nice
    > about it. Her husband had backed up her stuff about a month ago
    > figuring she hadn't. Whew....what good luck.

    Yeah, really lucky.

    For future reference, the obvious way would be to put the drive in as slave
    on another WinXP system. Even easier, especially if there isn't a spare
    winXP system, is to download one of the Linux Live CD distributions.
    Knoppix is the full blown version but Damn Small Linux is only 50 meg and
    Feather Linux is under 64 Meg. You can mount and read NTFS partitions with
    those and, best of all, you don't need to move a thing around because they
    run from the CD without touching the hard drives (unless you intentionally
    make changes after mounting it).

    > Who ever wrote the virus/worm/whatever that got her machine
    > knew what he/she was doing. When it started rebooting again,
    > after I thought I had it fixed,

    Well, a reinstall wouldn't fix it because it keeps existing settings, which
    would including the virus files and the registry entries to run it.

    > I cleared the cmos settings and that
    > didn't work. Then I suspected the power supply. Vexing to say the least.
    > Swapped out two, and then said, "Oh well, time to get the fire hose."
    >
    > Al

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Jim <chief_jim@go.nospam.com> wrote in message news:<c9opi0lknqqi38c1vcqkhljom32hkcd7kt@4ax.com>...
    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:38:59 -0400, "!Allen Lasting"
    > <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi David,
    > >Thanks for your tips.
    > >You were right. I got it up, but it reinfected itself.
    > >So this morning, I just wiped it and reinstalled.
    > >I'll probably get killed for that, but hey, at
    > >least it works again.
    > >
    > >Al
    > >

    > Soon as you can download a current version of KNOPPIX. With that
    > you'll have access to the data from which you can then save to a CD.
    >
    > That computer sounds like a ready candidate for Linux.

    Someone early on in this thread mentioned having a similar problem
    after installing an MS crital update.
    There are a lot of these so called Microsoft messages flying around in
    emails that actually are viruses!
    I NEVER take any notice of these things. Stick to updating from the
    genuine MS update site only.

    David
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Nope, I never got the name of it. She said AVG flagged it numberous times
    with pop up warnings, but she didn't write it down.
    By the time I got it it didn't boot at all, I was focused on fixing it, etc.
    I didn't get a pop up. I had it on line with pc pitstop real time scan and
    it didn't find anything after about 5 minutes, but I didn't let it finish
    because I was tired, it was late, and I thought I had it beat.
    That was at about 1 in the morning having started around 6 plus two hours in
    the early afternoon.

    I ran AVG's vcleaner on it, and it didn't find anything. I've used that a
    few times in the past successfully.

    Al
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Thanks for the tip about Linux. I know very little about it, and it is on
    my list ot todo's. I'm going to try to do what you said, and make a cd. It
    would really be great if that worked.

    Al
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    !Allen Lasting wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip about Linux. I know very little about it, and it is on
    > my list ot todo's. I'm going to try to do what you said, and make a cd. It
    > would really be great if that worked.
    >
    > Al

    In that case try the small ones first. They're obviously skinnied down but
    that means you're not overwhelmed with a multitude of things you don't
    really need in a 'repair' CD.

    They are both a bit problematic with Windows networking, though, and unless
    the fellah at Feather has remastered it LinNeighborhood doesn't work
    properly (although manual networking does). If you want that then
    downloading the 'latest' version fixes it (Debian. You'll know what I mean
    if you make the CD and install synaptic: their software package handler).

    Damn Small doesn't have a 'window' like network browser (no
    LinNeighborhood) and uses the command line Samba, but FTP has a window
    front end and works fine.

    I think Feather is a tad bit better on autodetecting hardware because it's
    based on a later version of Knoppix and if you're making a 'regular' CD
    then the slightly larger size over Damn Small Linux is of no big consequence.

    Besides, it's just plain fun to see them boot and run from the CD only;
    especially if you slap Damn Small on a business card CD (the reason it's 50
    meg).
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > Nope, I never got the name of it. She said AVG flagged it numberous times
    > with pop up warnings, but she didn't write it down.
    > By the time I got it it didn't boot at all, I was focused on fixing it,
    etc.
    > I didn't get a pop up. I had it on line with pc pitstop real time scan
    and
    > it didn't find anything after about 5 minutes, but I didn't let it finish
    > because I was tired, it was late, and I thought I had it beat.
    > That was at about 1 in the morning having started around 6 plus two hours
    in
    > the early afternoon.
    >
    > I ran AVG's vcleaner on it, and it didn't find anything. I've used that a
    > few times in the past successfully.
    >
    > Al

    Well I'll have my nephew's system soon. I'm going to slave that hard drive
    off my wife's system. I'll find out what that puppy is. I'm pretty darned
    sure it's the same virus, and it's a real nasty one. -Dave

Homebuilt Boot Windows XP Systems