Sharing a printer on an XP machine with a Mac

Hey, I currently have a WinXP machine with my printer shared through the
included MS networking client to the other computers in my house.
Everything is working fine though now my sister decided that she wants a
Mac and I wanted to know if there is software out there so she can
access this printer through the network or is she going to have to
sneakernet everything onto the machine with the printer?

--
"All we had were our dreams, and that's all we needed to be free"

*To reply, replace 'deadfishies' with 'bigfoot.'*

Christopher Rawlison wrote:
> Hey, I currently have a WinXP machine with my printer shared through the
> included MS networking client to the other computers in my house.
> Everything is working fine though now my sister decided that she wants a
> Mac and I wanted to know if there is software out there so she can
> access this printer through the network or is she going to have to
> sneakernet everything onto the machine with the printer?

Which version of Mac OS is she running?

If the latest (Panther), go here:
http://linuxprinting.org/macosx/

She will need to install Gimp-print and EPS ghostscript, and then find
the linux driver package that has your printer.

After that, you go into the printer setup utility, and choose new
printer. Use "windows printing" and enter the domain and computer name,
then find the correct printer driver in the list.

All you have to do on the windows box is turn on print sharing.

steveh

"Christopher Rawlison" <joekamel@deadfishies.com> wrote in message
> Hey, I currently have a WinXP machine with my printer shared through the
> included MS networking client to the other computers in my house.
> Everything is working fine though now my sister decided that she wants a
> Mac and I wanted to know if there is software out there so she can access
> this printer through the network or is she going to have to sneakernet
> everything onto the machine with the printer?
>
> --
> "All we had were our dreams, and that's all we needed to be free"
>

> *To reply, replace 'deadfishies' with 'bigfoot.'*

Must admit, I know zilch about Macs, but I know this is do-able, as I did it
for someone a while ago. Damn thing is, I can't remember what I did.
You can get the Mac to see the shared printer through its own network
config.

HTH
SteveH

You should be able to share the windows base printer using SMB (server
memory block) protocol over the network. Read a little about it using a
search through the OS you are using at www.apple.com/support

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net