Will Adding Ultra ATA 100 card on older system allow large..

Hi,

I have an older motherboard, and there doesn't appear to be a BIOS that
will recognize something like > 8GB drive. If I get one of the Ultra
ATA 100 cards, would I then be able to use drives larger than that?

If so, any recommended cards?

Thanks,
Jim
6 answers Last reply
More about will adding ultra card older system large

    Yes, the additional card has its own BIOS to control the attached bigger
    disk...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an older motherboard, and there doesn't appear to be a BIOS that
    > will recognize something like > 8GB drive. If I get one of the Ultra
    > ATA 100 cards, would I then be able to use drives larger than that?
    >
    > If so, any recommended cards?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Thomas,

    Thanks, any particularly good models/brands? I don't need RAID, or
    SATA, just IDE... This is for an older motherboard with a PIII-233 that
    I happen to have around.

    Jim

    ohaya wrote:

    > Thomas,
    >
    > Thanks, any particularly good models/brands? I don't need RAID, or
    > SATA, just IDE... This is for an older motherboard with a PIII-233 that
    > I happen to have around.

    No such thing as a PIII-233. There's the P233MMX and the PII-233, but no
    PIII-233.

    If it's a PII-233 it's likely you could overclock it to 300 by simply
    changing the motherboard multiplier jumper from 3.5 to 4.5. Some were
    locked but many weren't (mine being one example).

    > Jim
    >

    > Thomas Wendell wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, the additional card has its own BIOS to control the attached bigger
    >>disk...
    >>
    >>--
    >>Tumppi
    >>Reply to group
    >>=================================================
    >>Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    >>Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    >>(translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >>=================================================
    >>
    >>"ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> kirjoitti viestissä
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have an older motherboard, and there doesn't appear to be a BIOS that
    >>>will recognize something like > 8GB drive. If I get one of the Ultra
    >>>ATA 100 cards, would I then be able to use drives larger than that?
    >>>
    >>>If so, any recommended cards?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Jim

    Sorry, don't know (as in haven't tried..) any... only new controller on my
    system is an USB 2. board...

    System is: (HW) ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB
    100MHz), 512MB (SDRAM @133MHz, 256+2*128)), 120 (caddy) HDs(primary IDE),
    DVD and CD-RW(sec. IDE), GF2MX (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, Hercules
    SmartTV, D-Link NetNic(DRN-32TX),235W power supply (I know, I know, too
    puny), OS=XPpro (all updates)

    --

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:12:44 -0400, ohaya <ohaya@cox.net> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an older motherboard, and there doesn't appear to be a BIOS that
    >will recognize something like > 8GB drive. If I get one of the Ultra
    >ATA 100 cards, would I then be able to use drives larger than that?
    >
    >If so, any recommended cards?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jim

    Here are a couple of examples of what's available:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=16-102-002&depa=0

    http://www.buy.com/retail/techspecs/product.asp?sku=10316863&loc=101&PageFormat=8

    The single channel 100 cards are the least expensive, the dual channel
    133s are the most expensive. Check on the manufacturer's site to make
    sure it has onboard BIOS and that it's compatible with your O.S.

    Good luck!

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:11:12 -0400, ohaya <ohaya@cox.net> wrote:

    >Thomas,
    >
    >Thanks, any particularly good models/brands? I don't need RAID, or
    >SATA, just IDE... This is for an older motherboard with a PIII-233 that
    >I happen to have around.
    >
    >Jim
    >

    >Thomas Wendell wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, the additional card has its own BIOS to control the attached bigger
    >> disk...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tumppi
    >> Reply to group
    >> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    >> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    >> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >>
    >> "ohaya" <ohaya@cox.net> kirjoitti viestissä
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have an older motherboard, and there doesn't appear to be a BIOS that
    >> > will recognize something like > 8GB drive. If I get one of the Ultra
    >> > ATA 100 cards, would I then be able to use drives larger than that?
    >> >
    >> > If so, any recommended cards?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Jim

    Hi Jim:

    I've used Promise IDE controllers without problems for a while
    now.

    http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?productId=11&familyId=3

    BTW, they are only to be used for HDDs. Use your motherboard IDE
    connectos for any disc drives.

    Happy trails,

Homebuilt Hardware Motherboards Systems