ati 9800se all-in-wonder

I am currently in the process of upgrading my computers graphic
capabilties. I have replaced my old geforce 2mx with an ati 9800se
all-in-wonder.

When I switch on my computer, with the new card installed, the power
light at the front flashes and the fans begin to turn on both the
graphics card and the cpu......then the computer dies.

Why would this happen? Do I need a PSU with more power? I am using a
duron 700 processor and an old board.....is it likely to be
compatability issue?

==============

sounds like a very deffinite possibility. If this problem exhists in
some of the better PSUs what sort of PSU should i be looking to get
as a replacement for my old one.

Thanks for the help.....much appreciated

==============

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003

"dcprenti" <C.H.A.Prentice@ncl.ac-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I am currently in the process of upgrading my computers graphic
> capabilties. I have replaced my old geforce 2mx with an ati 9800se
> all-in-wonder.
>
> When I switch on my computer, with the new card installed, the power
> light at the front flashes and the fans begin to turn on both the
> graphics card and the cpu......then the computer dies.
>
> Why would this happen? Do I need a PSU with more power? I am using a
> duron 700 processor and an old board.....is it likely to be
> compatability issue?

There's a known problem with some of these cards with a very high initial
current draw.
This can cause protection circuits in PSUs (ironically the better PSUs are
the ones that suffer from it most) to kick in.
Sounds like a possibility?.

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

get a tagan 480watt job - good reviews

antec as well

> sounds like a very deffinite possibility. If this problem exhists in
> some of the better PSUs what sort of PSU should i be looking to get
> as a replacement for my old one.
>
> Thanks for the help.....much appreciated

troubleshooting newsgroups.