Avoid ZipZoomFly

I recently placed a order with ZipZoomFly. I will likely be my last.
I've come to the conclusion that they are just a lousy, amaturish, and
dishonest operation.

The specifics:

On Friday 8/20, I order an MSI K8N Neo2, an AMD Athlon64 3500+, and a
WD 71 GB Raptor hard disk. All item showed as available. When
ordered, the order was accepted.

Even though they were promising free two day shipping, which I
accepted (after explicitly changing the selection in the from from
next day to two day), the on-line invoice showed that I picked next
day air, with a substantial shipping charge. It took a phone call,
email, and three days (over a weekend) to straighten this out.

At that point everthing looked good. Check the status this morning,
everything showed as shipped. Then, tonight I check my email. NOW
the tell me the CPU is on back order. They couldn't have figured the
out a few days ago and given me the chance to cancel the order?

Oh, and they are strictly a 9-5 M-F operation. If you need customer
support outside of business hours, your SOL. No toll free customer
service # either.

On contrast. The other major part of my order (DVD/CD drives,
software, accessories) went to Newegg. They shipped out Saturday.
With ZZF nothing happened over the weekend.

Also, as far as customer service, I returned a power supply recently
to Tiger Direct. I got the RMA from a live person at 1AM.

ZZF is amateurish and sleazy.
15 answers Last reply
More about avoid zipzoomfly

    Well all I'll say is, I've ordered alot there and never had one single
    issue.

    ==============

    mwolffs@yahoo.com (MikeW) said:

    > I've come to the conclusion that they are just a lousy, amaturish, and
    > dishonest operation.

    So you believe they intentionally tried to steal money from you by
    changing your shipping selection? What evidence do you have to support
    that claim? Do you suppose it's possible that you accidently selected next
    day service and didn't realize it?

    They might have less than stellar service and they might be closed on the
    weekends, but that is a long way from 'dishonest'. Apparently you are not
    the only person to have parts on backorder, there are several comments
    below yours on resellerratings.com with the same complaint.
    --
    Mac Cool

    "Tool" <dragonarcher@adelphia-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Well all I'll say is, I've ordered alot there and never had one single
    > issue.
    >
    > ==============
    Neither have most others. http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1991.html

    See below:

    Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns954FF17198D95MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
    > mwolffs@yahoo.com (MikeW) said:
    >
    > > I've come to the conclusion that they are just a lousy, amaturish, and
    > > dishonest operation.
    >
    > So you believe they intentionally tried to steal money from you by
    > changing your shipping selection? What evidence do you have to support
    > that claim? Do you suppose it's possible that you accidently selected next
    > day service and didn't realize it?

    It's possible, but not probable. When I entered the order, I saw the
    pick box for shipping method. Next day was autoselected, and I
    distinctly remember changing it to 2 day. Now, it is possible that I
    fat fingered it. But, if you notice the 'mistake' turned out to be in
    their favor.

    > They might have less than stellar service and they might be closed on the
    > weekends, but that is a long way from 'dishonest'. Apparently you are not
    > the only person to have parts on backorder, there are several comments
    > below yours on resellerratings.com with the same complaint.

    Yes, and I was stupid for placing an order with them without checking
    RR first. But my issues are:

    - The should know how many they have in stock and how many they need
    for outstanding orders. If they don't have enough to fill their
    orders, they should stop taking new orders for that piece of
    merchandise (or at least indicate that the item is on backorder when
    the order is placed).

    - It should not take them five days to notify me that they don't have
    the item, when that status is showing that everything is hunky dory
    for that whole period. Actually, after I got the email notifying me
    that the item was on backorder, I rechecked the status on the item.
    It still showed as shipped.

    "MikeW" <mwolffs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I recently placed a order with ZipZoomFly. I will likely be my last.
    > I've come to the conclusion that they are just a lousy, amaturish, and
    > dishonest operation.
    >
    > The specifics:
    >
    > On Friday 8/20, I order an MSI K8N Neo2, an AMD Athlon64 3500+, and a
    > WD 71 GB Raptor hard disk. All item showed as available. When
    > ordered, the order was accepted.
    >
    > Even though they were promising free two day shipping, which I
    > accepted (after explicitly changing the selection in the from from
    > next day to two day), the on-line invoice showed that I picked next
    > day air, with a substantial shipping charge. It took a phone call,
    > email, and three days (over a weekend) to straighten this out.
    >
    > At that point everthing looked good. Check the status this morning,
    > everything showed as shipped. Then, tonight I check my email. NOW
    > the tell me the CPU is on back order. They couldn't have figured the
    > out a few days ago and given me the chance to cancel the order?
    >
    > Oh, and they are strictly a 9-5 M-F operation. If you need customer
    > support outside of business hours, your SOL. No toll free customer
    > service # either.
    >
    > On contrast. The other major part of my order (DVD/CD drives,
    > software, accessories) went to Newegg. They shipped out Saturday.
    > With ZZF nothing happened over the weekend.
    >
    > Also, as far as customer service, I returned a power supply recently
    > to Tiger Direct. I got the RMA from a live person at 1AM.
    >
    > ZZF is amateurish and sleazy.
    Just about all the components for my recently build PC were purchased from
    ZZF and I didn't have any problems at all. When you switched your shipping
    method choices form NDA to SDA to you check the final total to see if the
    change went through. When you stated that the online invoice showed NDA
    this tells me that the change you made didn't go through. Mind you, I not
    saying you necessary did anything wrong but still it is the purchaser's
    resposponsibility to make sure that whatever changes they make to their
    transactions have been accepted.

    mwolffs@yahoo.com (MikeW) said:

    >> They might have less than stellar service and they might be closed
    >> on the weekends, but that is a long way from 'dishonest'. Apparently
    >> you are not the only person to have parts on backorder, there are
    >> several comments below yours on resellerratings.com with the same
    >> complaint.
    >

    > Yes, and I was stupid for placing an order with them without checking
    > RR first. But my issues are:

    Overall, their resellerrating is pretty good. I've bought from them once,
    a hard drive, which they warranty for 30 days, I swear to god it went bad
    on the 31st day, lol. No problem, I RMA'd it through WD and they had me a
    new drive 2 days later.

    --
    Mac Cool

    MikeW wrote:
    > I recently placed a order with ZipZoomFly. I will likely be my last.
    > I've come to the conclusion that they are just a lousy, amaturish, and
    > dishonest operation.
    >
    > The specifics:
    >
    > On Friday 8/20, I order an MSI K8N Neo2, an AMD Athlon64 3500+, and a
    > WD 71 GB Raptor hard disk. All item showed as available. When
    > ordered, the order was accepted.
    >
    > Even though they were promising free two day shipping, which I
    > accepted (after explicitly changing the selection in the from from
    > next day to two day), the on-line invoice showed that I picked next
    > day air, with a substantial shipping charge. It took a phone call,
    > email, and three days (over a weekend) to straighten this out.
    >
    > At that point everthing looked good. Check the status this morning,
    > everything showed as shipped. Then, tonight I check my email. NOW
    > the tell me the CPU is on back order. They couldn't have figured the
    > out a few days ago and given me the chance to cancel the order?
    >
    > Oh, and they are strictly a 9-5 M-F operation. If you need customer
    > support outside of business hours, your SOL. No toll free customer
    > service # either.
    >
    > On contrast. The other major part of my order (DVD/CD drives,
    > software, accessories) went to Newegg. They shipped out Saturday.
    > With ZZF nothing happened over the weekend.
    >
    > Also, as far as customer service, I returned a power supply recently
    > to Tiger Direct. I got the RMA from a live person at 1AM.
    >
    > ZZF is amateurish and sleazy.

    I have ordered from ZipZoomFly without any problems.

    jimbo

    "ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Y09Xc.92048$TI1.91223@attbi_s52>...
    > "MikeW" <mwolffs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I recently placed a order with ZipZoomFly. I will likely be my last.
    > > I've come to the conclusion that they are just a lousy, amaturish, and
    > > dishonest operation.
    > >
    > > The specifics:
    > >
    > > On Friday 8/20, I order an MSI K8N Neo2, an AMD Athlon64 3500+, and a
    > > WD 71 GB Raptor hard disk. All item showed as available. When
    > > ordered, the order was accepted.
    > >
    > > Even though they were promising free two day shipping, which I
    > > accepted (after explicitly changing the selection in the from from
    > > next day to two day), the on-line invoice showed that I picked next
    > > day air, with a substantial shipping charge. It took a phone call,
    > > email, and three days (over a weekend) to straighten this out.
    > >
    > > At that point everthing looked good. Check the status this morning,
    > > everything showed as shipped. Then, tonight I check my email. NOW
    > > the tell me the CPU is on back order. They couldn't have figured the
    > > out a few days ago and given me the chance to cancel the order?
    > >
    > > Oh, and they are strictly a 9-5 M-F operation. If you need customer
    > > support outside of business hours, your SOL. No toll free customer
    > > service # either.
    > >
    > > On contrast. The other major part of my order (DVD/CD drives,
    > > software, accessories) went to Newegg. They shipped out Saturday.
    > > With ZZF nothing happened over the weekend.
    > >
    > > Also, as far as customer service, I returned a power supply recently
    > > to Tiger Direct. I got the RMA from a live person at 1AM.
    > >
    > > ZZF is amateurish and sleazy.
    > Just about all the components for my recently build PC were purchased from
    > ZZF and I didn't have any problems at all. When you switched your shipping
    > method choices form NDA to SDA to you check the final total to see if the
    > change went through. When you stated that the online invoice showed NDA
    > this tells me that the change you made didn't go through. Mind you, I not
    > saying you necessary did anything wrong but still it is the purchaser's
    > resposponsibility to make sure that whatever changes they make to their
    > transactions have been accepted.

    Literally, the next thing I did after placing the order was to check
    the order, that's when I found the shipping error (within 2 minutes of
    placing order). However, their website seems to have no way to edit
    an order, so I had to call and email. The fix wasn't in place until
    they the following week.

    But my bigger issue was the very poor way they handled the backorder
    situation on the CPU. They obviously oversold their supply and kept
    taking orders. And since then they been unexcusibly unresponsive.
    I've called, left messages, sent email, and gotten nothing back over
    several days. The rest of the order (actually orders, some from other
    resellers) is in, I now have a entire PC in parts, except for the CPU.
    If they had been upfront about the CPU suppy when I placed the order,
    I could have made other arrangements. But as it is, now I'm stuck.

    Some new info. Someone from ZZF called me. They have no idea when
    they're gettin more 3500+s.

    I'm now looking for another vendor, and once I find them, I will
    cancel the ZZF order.

    mwolffs@yahoo.com (MikeW) wrote in message news:<32b9ecdf.0408261852.6c0e5ac8@posting.google.com>...
> [...]
    >
    > Literally, the next thing I did after placing the order was to check
    > the order, that's when I found the shipping error (within 2 minutes of
    > placing order). However, their website seems to have no way to edit
    > an order, so I had to call and email. The fix wasn't in place until
    > they the following week.
    >
    > But my bigger issue was the very poor way they handled the backorder
    > situation on the CPU. They obviously oversold their supply and kept
    > taking orders. And since then they been unexcusibly unresponsive.
    > I've called, left messages, sent email, and gotten nothing back over
    > several days. The rest of the order (actually orders, some from other
    > resellers) is in, I now have a entire PC in parts, except for the CPU.
    > If they had been upfront about the CPU suppy when I placed the order,
    > I could have made other arrangements. But as it is, now I'm stuck.

    I've ordered dozens of items from Zip, and experienced absolutely NO
    PROBLEMS.

    Why did you change their delivery method? They offer FREE second day
    shipping, and that's exactly the what you get - SECOND DAY for FREE.

    Their prices usually always beat Newegg, and if they don't their free
    shipping will put you ahead.

    Your accusation that Zip is amateurish is clearly an indication of
    your own ignorance. Why leave a negative posting about an honest
    reputable company after one slightly unpleasant experience, which
    sounds like it was your lack of online savvy that caused the problem.

    People like you give bad reputations to good businesses.

    mwolffs@yahoo.com (MikeW) wrote in message news:<32b9ecdf.0408241842.16f2f886@posting.google.com>...
    > I recently placed a order with ZipZoomFly. I will likely be my last.
    > I've come to the conclusion that they are just a lousy, amaturish, and
    > dishonest operation.
    >
    > The specifics:
    >
    > On Friday 8/20, I order an MSI K8N Neo2, an AMD Athlon64 3500+, and a
    > WD 71 GB Raptor hard disk. All item showed as available. When
    > ordered, the order was accepted.
    >
    > Even though they were promising free two day shipping, which I
    > accepted (after explicitly changing the selection in the from from
    > next day to two day), the on-line invoice showed that I picked next
    > day air, with a substantial shipping charge. It took a phone call,
    > email, and three days (over a weekend) to straighten this out.
    >
    > At that point everthing looked good. Check the status this morning,
    > everything showed as shipped. Then, tonight I check my email. NOW
    > the tell me the CPU is on back order. They couldn't have figured the
    > out a few days ago and given me the chance to cancel the order?
    >
    > Oh, and they are strictly a 9-5 M-F operation. If you need customer
    > support outside of business hours, your SOL. No toll free customer
    > service # either.
    >
    > On contrast. The other major part of my order (DVD/CD drives,
    > software, accessories) went to Newegg. They shipped out Saturday.
    > With ZZF nothing happened over the weekend.
    >
    > Also, as far as customer service, I returned a power supply recently
    > to Tiger Direct. I got the RMA from a live person at 1AM.
    >
    > ZZF is amateurish and sleazy.

    You missed the main point. They were showing something as available,
    that either they knew wasn't in stock, or at least didn't know if it
    was. I relied on their information, and made decisions based on that
    information. The shipping issue was secondary, but annoying.

    Another big point is when the do screw something up, it's very slow
    and inconvenient to fix. I've dealt with several other on line
    vendors now (Newegg, Tiger, Mwave, Amazon (if you count them), etc.).
    ZZF was, in my experience, undoubtedly the worst.

    On 24 Aug 2004 19:42:10 -0700, mwolffs@yahoo.com (MikeW) wrote:

    >I recently placed a order with ZipZoomFly. I will likely be my last.
    >I've come to the conclusion that they are just a lousy, amaturish, and
    >dishonest operation.

    Could they have come up with a dumber name? I wouldn't buy from them
    just because the have a stuoid name.

    Stupid name aside, I must sympathize with the poor fellow on his awful
    experience with ZZF's customer service. They do have a very harsh
    Return Policy, especially relating to DOA's, and have somewhat of a
    reputation for customer service weaknesses. I recently wrote reviews
    for ZZF that are glowing, and until I have to deal with their customer
    service will continue to do so. Nevertheless, we must not invalidate
    this individuals experience because all of ours have gone well. Until
    you have to deal with their customer service, and ordering policies in
    regards to out of stock items, do not bash on this poster. He is
    merely giving his story, and their are others like it to back it up.
    If you read ZZF's own return policy you will realize that you are kind
    of gambling when ordering with them. Their prices are low enough to
    warrent the gamle for now (for me anyway).

    Best o luck Mike, and B.R. I hope you realize that most of this post
    is aimed at previous posts and not just yours. I agree, the name is
    pretty lame.

    In news:6j65l0d585j5cuor3qgbu3mrode6dpavq3@4ax.com,
    B.R. Smith <me@privacy.net> typed:
    > On 24 Aug 2004 19:42:10 -0700, mwolffs@yahoo.com (MikeW) wrote:
    >
    >> I recently placed a order with ZipZoomFly. I will likely be my last.
    >> I've come to the conclusion that they are just a lousy, amaturish,
    >> and dishonest operation.

    I ordered from them on several occasions and really think they do 'zip &
    zoom' the products to you with FedEx, and it's generally free 2nd day air.
    Haven't had to return anything, but well satisfied with them overall.

    ....Allen
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Allen L. wrote:

    >>>I recently placed a order with ZipZoomFly. I will likely be my last.
    >>>I've come to the conclusion that they are just a lousy, amaturish,
    >>>and dishonest operation.
    >

    > I ordered from them on several occasions and really think they do 'zip &
    > zoom' the products to you with FedEx, and it's generally free 2nd day air.
    > Haven't had to return anything, but well satisfied with them overall.

    My experiences are similar. In fact, they are my 1st choice to get
    something from. I turned my brother and friends on to them, as well, and
    they get the majority of their stuff from them, too. I highly recommend
    ZipZoomFly.com.

Homebuilt Systems Product