How to clone administrator account in XP?

I've been building a new system over the past week with WinXP installed
from scratch. Everything came up fine and my WinXP installation was
unremarkable. I reinstalled a bunch of my applications before realizing
that I was doing all this under the Administrator acccount. I had
created a user with my name during the WinXP setup thinking that I would
install everything from there, but I wasn't paying attention in my haste
to get up and running and just kept logging into the admin account and
merrily doing my installs.

I suppose I can just continue doing this since I'm the only user of the
machine, but if I wanted to clone the entire admin account to a new user
including all desktop and application preferences, wallpaper, font
settings, etc., is it possible to do that? (Easily?)

Thanks for any help.

Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about clone administrator account

    "Dave" <ds@es.org> wrote in message
    > I've been building a new system over the past week with WinXP installed
    > from scratch. Everything came up fine and my WinXP installation was
    > unremarkable. I reinstalled a bunch of my applications before realizing
    > that I was doing all this under the Administrator acccount. I had
    > created a user with my name during the WinXP setup thinking that I would
    > install everything from there, but I wasn't paying attention in my haste
    > to get up and running and just kept logging into the admin account and
    > merrily doing my installs.
    >
    > I suppose I can just continue doing this since I'm the only user of the
    > machine, but if I wanted to clone the entire admin account to a new user
    > including all desktop and application preferences, wallpaper, font
    > settings, etc., is it possible to do that? (Easily?)
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Dave
    If no more than one user is added during the install of XP, then the one
    user account is automatically made the administrator - there has to be one.
    So don't see what the problem is. Also if no password is entered for the one
    user, then XP boots right in to Windows, which is the way I like it, with no
    log-in screen...

    The MS sysprep program will copy the Administrator profile settings to the
    default user account template when you do a 'reseal'. All newly created
    user accounts will be in that likeness then. See the documentation for
    MS sysprep. Use sysprep at your own risk, as it is an OEM setup
    tool (not for the uninitiated end user)!

    AJ

    "Dave" <ds@es.org> wrote in message news:MPG.1b968bb93ecc3e339896a2@nntp.ext.ray.com...
    > I've been building a new system over the past week with WinXP installed
    > from scratch. Everything came up fine and my WinXP installation was
    > unremarkable. I reinstalled a bunch of my applications before realizing
    > that I was doing all this under the Administrator acccount. I had
    > created a user with my name during the WinXP setup thinking that I would
    > install everything from there, but I wasn't paying attention in my haste
    > to get up and running and just kept logging into the admin account and
    > merrily doing my installs.
    >
    > I suppose I can just continue doing this since I'm the only user of the
    > machine, but if I wanted to clone the entire admin account to a new user
    > including all desktop and application preferences, wallpaper, font
    > settings, etc., is it possible to do that? (Easily?)
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Dave

    "Dave" <ds@es.org> wrote in message
    > I suppose I can just continue doing this since I'm the only user of the
    > machine, but if I wanted to clone the entire admin account to a new user
    > including all desktop and application preferences, wallpaper, font
    > settings, etc., is it possible to do that? (Easily?)

    Right click my computer select properties
    click advanced
    click settings in the frame labelled "user profiles" (in the middle)
    Select your admin account
    Click copy to

    I believe this achieves what you are wanting...
  4. I had the exact same problem. After realizing that previous tips either didn't work for the Administrator account or were a bit too complicated for my taste, I did the following:

    1. Create a temporary user identity (I named mine "temp").
    - If you haven't yet created a new permanent user identity then do this also. If one already exists then you can continue but be aware that some of your existing settings will be overridden.

    2. Log off all users except the temporary one you just created.

    3. Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator"

    4. Click Tools > Folder Options
    - click the View tab
    - select "Show hidden files and folders"
    - uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"
    - click OK

    5. Select and copy all folders and files in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" except the "Administrator's Documents" folder (use Ctrl+click to de-select it).

    6. Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\Clone" where "Clone" is the name of the new/existing user account to which you want to copy all of your Administrator account settings. Paste the previously copied folders here.

    7. If "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents" contains anything you want to transfer to your clone's documents folder, cut and paste those to "C:\Documents and Settings\Clone\My Documents"

    8. You can now log off of the temporary user account and delete it.

    It worked perfectly for me. Hopefully this will help others in the same situation.

Homebuilt Windows XP Systems