Best CPU bank for buck?

I'm currently running an Abit NF7 motherboard which is capable of running,
according to the Abit website "...the latest AMD Athlon XP, BartonT
processors with 200/266/333 FSB...". I currently have an AMD Athlon 2000+
XP, Palimino processor on the board. I have 512 of Kingston PC3200 DDR400,
dual channel RAM installed. I'm mostly looking for performance for the
games that I play, currently DOOM3, as well as generally increasing the
speed of the system for everyday tasks. I've never overclocked a system,
but if it's there I may give it a go.

What I was looking for is advice on which CPU would give me the most "bang
for my buck" in real world performance. I mean, I could spend $100 to get a
57% increase, but if I could spend, $25 and get a 40% increase I'd consider
that the better deal.

Thanks for any and all advice...
2 answers Last reply
More about best bank buck

    "James R. Lunsford" wrote:

    > I'm currently running an Abit NF7 motherboard which is capable of running,
    > according to the Abit website "...the latest AMD Athlon XP, BartonT
    > processors with 200/266/333 FSB...". I currently have an AMD Athlon 2000+
    > XP, Palimino processor on the board. I have 512 of Kingston PC3200 DDR400,
    > dual channel RAM installed. I'm mostly looking for performance for the
    > games that I play, currently DOOM3

    Doom 3 does not run so well with an Athlon XP or Pentium 4.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

    To get great performance in Doom 3, you need an Athlon 64. You also need
    a very high performance video card. An Athlon 64 3000+ and a motherboard for
    it would cost around $230. Since you don't seem to want to spend so much,
    you could get an Athlon XP3000+ for around $100. It will help a bit with Doom
    3,
    however it won't be great. It will help much more with other applications.

    "James R. Lunsford" <sky.rocker*NOSPAM*@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I'm currently running an Abit NF7 motherboard which is capable of running,
    > according to the Abit website "...the latest AMD Athlon XP, BartonT
    > processors with 200/266/333 FSB...". I currently have an AMD Athlon 2000+
    > XP, Palimino processor on the board. I have 512 of Kingston PC3200
    > DDR400, dual channel RAM installed. I'm mostly looking for performance
    > for the games that I play, currently DOOM3, as well as generally
    > increasing the speed of the system for everyday tasks. I've never
    > overclocked a system, but if it's there I may give it a go.
    >
    > What I was looking for is advice on which CPU would give me the most "bang
    > for my buck" in real world performance. I mean, I could spend $100 to get
    > a 57% increase, but if I could spend, $25 and get a 40% increase I'd
    > consider that the better deal.
    >
    > Thanks for any and all advice...

    The Barton Mobile 2500+ is a sweeeet deal.

Homebuilt Systems