IDE problems with new mobo?

Help!!

I have just got a new case, mobo and cpu and have transferred my old HD into
this new machine.

I get blue screen error when it boots up saying "unable to locate boot
device" I may have HD incompatibilities, but I can't even re-load my Win
2000 OS as it stops and says "unable to load" something like "ntknl" file.

I am wondering if my old HD is not compatible with a new IDE format? My ne
wmobo is IDE Ultra ATA/100 but surely this should work with a 2 year old
hard disk?

The new cables are ultra ata/66 ribbon cables.

The disk is fine as I am using it now after transferring it back to my old
PC to write to this newsgroup, so any idea would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Am I going to have to upgrade to new hard disks as well?

Thanks
Jen

jad

jumpered incorrectly, is it recognized by the BIOS?
or the boot record is damaged
have you formatted and partitioned the old HD?

"Jenny Brooks" <invalid@please> wrote in message
> Help!!
>
> I have just got a new case, mobo and cpu and have transferred my old
HD into
> this new machine.
>
> I get blue screen error when it boots up saying "unable to locate
boot
> device" I may have HD incompatibilities, but I can't even re-load my
Win
> 2000 OS as it stops and says "unable to load" something like "ntknl"
file.

> I am wondering if my old HD is not compatible with a new IDE format?
My ne
> wmobo is IDE Ultra ATA/100 but surely this should work with a 2 year
old
> hard disk?
>
> The new cables are ultra ata/66 ribbon cables.
>
> The disk is fine as I am using it now after transferring it back to
my old
> PC to write to this newsgroup, so any idea would be GREATLY
appreciated!!!

> Am I going to have to upgrade to new hard disks as well?
>
> Thanks
> Jen

"Jenny Brooks" <invalid@please> wrote in message
> Help!!
>
> I have just got a new case, mobo and cpu and have transferred my old HD
into
> this new machine.
>
> I get blue screen error when it boots up saying "unable to locate boot
> device"

Check the jumper on the drive. It needs to be set at "master", but there
are TWO "master" settings on some hard drives. There is one for "master"
alone and one for "master" with another drive (slave) on the same IDE cable.

After that, go into BIOS setup screens and check your boot sequence. Your
first boot device should be hard drive 0. -Dave

Jenny Brooks wrote:

> Help!!
>
> I have just got a new case, mobo and cpu and have transferred my old HD into
> this new machine.
>
> I get blue screen error when it boots up saying "unable to locate boot
> device" I may have HD incompatibilities, but I can't even re-load my Win
> 2000 OS as it stops and says "unable to load" something like "ntknl" file.
>
> I am wondering if my old HD is not compatible with a new IDE format? My ne
> wmobo is IDE Ultra ATA/100 but surely this should work with a 2 year old
> hard disk?
>
> The new cables are ultra ata/66 ribbon cables.
>
> The disk is fine as I am using it now after transferring it back to my old
> PC to write to this newsgroup, so any idea would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
>
> Am I going to have to upgrade to new hard disks as well?
>
> Thanks
> Jen

No, you don't have a hard drive 'incompatibility.'.

You can't just swap XP system hard drives from one machine to another
because the motherboard hardware is different. And since the old system's
drivers are not correct for the new motherboard it can't talk to the IDE
controller; so can't find the hard drive (the point where it gets 'lost' is
when XP loads in the O.S. run time drivers vs the dumb default boot loader).

You need to run a repair-reinstall so XP will redetect the hardware on the
new motherboard.

Put the hard drive on as master, like normal, and boot from the XP CD. Say
no to the first repair question where it asks if you want to use the
recovery console or a recovery floppy and go on as if doing a fresh
install. Then, when it detects an existing system on the hard drive say yes
to repairing it at that point. It'll load the setup files but keep existing
settings and programs as an 'upgrade' would.

After the reinstall completes you'll need to reinstall your system and I.E.
service packs/updates as the CD will put XP to the 'as delivered' state.
Don't worry about programs trying to 'install' themselves, and other
oddities, till you get SP1 back on. They'll be confused till you do because
they expect SP1 to be there but it won't be. Then, after SP1 goes back on,
they'll automagically work properly again.

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Jenny Brooks" <invalid@please> wrote in message
> > Help!!
> >
> > I have just got a new case, mobo and cpu and have transferred my old HD
> into
> > this new machine.
> >
> > I get blue screen error when it boots up saying "unable to locate boot
> > device"
>
> Check the jumper on the drive. It needs to be set at "master", but there
> are TWO "master" settings on some hard drives. There is one for "master"
> alone and one for "master" with another drive (slave) on the same IDE
cable.

> After that, go into BIOS setup screens and check your boot sequence. Your
> first boot device should be hard drive 0. -Dave

Done all this...........limited PC boot to just one HD and no other IDEs
just to make sure. Also the very same HD works in this pc. On starting in
the new PC I see the "Win2000 is starting up" screen and then just get the
blue screen of death with message "unable to locate boot device".

When I try to reinstall, the error code I get is 7 if that means anything to
anyone.

Jen

jad

whoa whoa... your taking a harddrive that has a OS installed from
another machine and then removing it and putting it into a different
machine?

That is the worse thing you can do, If this is the story. You must
either reinstall the OS or do a boot from 2000 CD and repair your
install.

> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jenny Brooks" <invalid@please> wrote in message
> > > Help!!
> > >
> > > I have just got a new case, mobo and cpu and have transferred my
old HD
> > into
> > > this new machine.
> > >
> > > I get blue screen error when it boots up saying "unable to
locate boot
> > > device"
> >
> > Check the jumper on the drive. It needs to be set at "master",
but there
> > are TWO "master" settings on some hard drives. There is one for
"master"
> > alone and one for "master" with another drive (slave) on the same
IDE
> cable.
> >
> > After that, go into BIOS setup screens and check your boot
sequence. Your
> > first boot device should be hard drive 0. -Dave
> >

> Done all this...........limited PC boot to just one HD and no other
IDEs
> just to make sure. Also the very same HD works in this pc. On
starting in
> the new PC I see the "Win2000 is starting up" screen and then just
get the
> blue screen of death with message "unable to locate boot device".
>
> When I try to reinstall, the error code I get is 7 if that means
anything to
> anyone.
>
> Jen

If you change the motherboard in a given computer setup, then you MUST
reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you get
ongoing nasty Registry errors, as you've seen.

--
DaveW

"Jenny Brooks" <invalid@please> wrote in message
> Help!!
>
> I have just got a new case, mobo and cpu and have transferred my old HD
into
> this new machine.
>
> I get blue screen error when it boots up saying "unable to locate boot
> device" I may have HD incompatibilities, but I can't even re-load my Win
> 2000 OS as it stops and says "unable to load" something like "ntknl" file.
>
> I am wondering if my old HD is not compatible with a new IDE format? My
ne
> wmobo is IDE Ultra ATA/100 but surely this should work with a 2 year old
> hard disk?
>
> The new cables are ultra ata/66 ribbon cables.
>
> The disk is fine as I am using it now after transferring it back to my old
> PC to write to this newsgroup, so any idea would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
>
> Am I going to have to upgrade to new hard disks as well?
>
> Thanks
> Jen

jad

Dave would you please stop with the reformatting stuff, it is NOT
required. Maybe as a LAST resort.

DaveW wrote:
> If you change the motherboard in a given computer setup, then you MUST
> reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you get
> ongoing nasty Registry errors, as you've seen.

Why the hell do you keep telling people that when you've been told nigh
onto a hundred times by now it is NOT true?

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:12:33 GMT To confuse Arrogance with Confidence
is as stupid as to confuse Ambition with Ability and then "DaveW"
<none@zero.org> wrote :

>If you change the motherboard in a given computer setup, then you MUST
>reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you get
>ongoing nasty Registry errors, as you've seen.

Bollocks Squared.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:49:30 +0100 To confuse Arrogance with
Confidence is as stupid as to confuse Ambition with Ability and then
"Jenny Brooks" <invalid@please> wrote :

>"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jenny Brooks" <invalid@please> wrote in message
>> > Help!!
>> >
>> > I have just got a new case, mobo and cpu and have transferred my old HD
>> into
>> > this new machine.
>> >
>> > I get blue screen error when it boots up saying "unable to locate boot
>> > device"
>>
>> Check the jumper on the drive. It needs to be set at "master", but there
>> are TWO "master" settings on some hard drives. There is one for "master"
>> alone and one for "master" with another drive (slave) on the same IDE
>cable.
>>
>> After that, go into BIOS setup screens and check your boot sequence. Your
>> first boot device should be hard drive 0. -Dave
>>

>Done all this...........limited PC boot to just one HD and no other IDEs
>just to make sure. Also the very same HD works in this pc. On starting in
>the new PC I see the "Win2000 is starting up" screen and then just get the
>blue screen of death with message "unable to locate boot device".
>
>When I try to reinstall, the error code I get is 7 if that means anything to
>anyone.
>
>Jen

Boot to Safemode/Device Manager.Remove ALL entries under the hard
drive section and any you can under the Hard drive Controllers
section.
If the error code is before the O/S then pull the power cord out.
Clear CMOS with jumper.
Re-boot.If you can get a system boot or access to the Internet or you
have a CD with the mother board please install mother board specific
drivers as they are usually required.
HTH :)

--

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> Dave would you please stop with the reformatting stuff, it is NOT
> required. Maybe as a LAST resort.

Yeah, just like those idiots who tell you to torque your lug nuts. Who the
frick CARES if the wheels fall off? Same with windows. Don't reformat the
drive. Just learn to live with an unstable system, as that is Sooooooooo
much easier. -Dave

Dave C. wrote:
> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Dave would you please stop with the reformatting stuff, it is NOT
>>required. Maybe as a LAST resort.
>>

> Yeah, just like those idiots who tell you to torque your lug nuts. Who the
> frick CARES if the wheels fall off? Same with windows. Don't reformat the
> drive. Just learn to live with an unstable system, as that is Sooooooooo
> much easier. -Dave

A better analogy would be "just like the idiots who tell you to sacrifice a
goat to Athena every month for good luck. Who cares if you have good luck?"

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:01:13 -0400 To confuse Arrogance with
"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote :

>"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dave would you please stop with the reformatting stuff, it is NOT
>> required. Maybe as a LAST resort.
>>

>Yeah, just like those idiots who tell you to torque your lug nuts. Who the
>frick CARES if the wheels fall off? Same with windows. Don't reformat the
>drive. Just learn to live with an unstable system, as that is Sooooooooo
>much easier. -Dave

Dickhead.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

Al

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:41:36 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

>Boot to Safemode/Device Manager.Remove ALL entries under the hard
>drive section and any you can under the Hard drive Controllers
>section.
>If the error code is before the O/S then pull the power cord out.
>Clear CMOS with jumper.
>Re-boot.If you can get a system boot or access to the Internet or you
>have a CD with the mother board please install mother board specific
>drivers as they are usually required.
>HTH :)

==== trim

I am having the same problem and have an additional question.

What is the VFAT ?? My disk is recognized by the BIOS but then it goes
on to say it is unbootable because of a VFAT error.

Is your method a way of clearing the VFAT or if not, do you know a way
to reset it?

I wrote to Seagate about it today and they said it is because
different machines use the VFAT in different ways, but gave no
specific cure.

Is it related to the S.M.A.R.T. at all?

TIA!

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:54:19 GMT To confuse Arrogance with Confidence
Al@nospam.net (Al) wrote :

>On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:41:36 +0100, Shep© <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>>Boot to Safemode/Device Manager.Remove ALL entries under the hard
>>drive section and any you can under the Hard drive Controllers
>>section.
>>If the error code is before the O/S then pull the power cord out.
>>Clear CMOS with jumper.
>>Re-boot.If you can get a system boot or access to the Internet or you
>>have a CD with the mother board please install mother board specific
>>drivers as they are usually required.
>>HTH :)
>>
>==== trim
>

>I am having the same problem and have an additional question.
>
>What is the VFAT ?? My disk is recognized by the BIOS but then it goes
>on to say it is unbootable because of a VFAT error.
>
>Is your method a way of clearing the VFAT or if not, do you know a way
>to reset it?
>
>I wrote to Seagate about it today and they said it is because
>different machines use the VFAT in different ways, but gave no
>specific cure.
>
>Is it related to the S.M.A.R.T. at all?
>
>TIA!

Sort of but Vfat means there is corruption in the hard drive's boot
table and or the partition table and or hardware failure.I don't know
of any programs that can fix this but I'm sure there are some but they
may cost money and there is no guarantee.
In this case scenario if you can get data off the drive you really
need then do so.If there is no data that you cannot get back then use
Fdisk and remove all partitions,re-format and re-install windows but
also read here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html

HTH :)

--