Hard drive ?

I have to replace my current HD. I selected

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=36

a WD40. This is fine for my use.

But I notice that they don't come in a case. Now I'm confused as the
last one I bought (many years ago) I remember as coming in a case, not
exposed like the one in the picture. Am I missing something?

BTW $56 with shipping is the best price I can find. I'm staying in this
price range. Any better choice?

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about hard drive

    I use WD40 allot. Stuck nuts and squeaky hinges. I never bought a case
    of it however.

    Case meaning a box? with ribbon and screws? 'bare' drive is usually
    what its known as when it came without, thus the cheaper price.

    "ill" <artpform@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have to replace my current HD. I selected
    >
    > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=36
    >
    > a WD40. This is fine for my use.
    >
    > But I notice that they don't come in a case. Now I'm confused as the
    > last one I bought (many years ago) I remember as coming in a case,
    not
    > exposed like the one in the picture. Am I missing something?
    >
    > BTW $56 with shipping is the best price I can find. I'm staying in
    this
    > price range. Any better choice?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Having a case is way overrated. I like being able to see the disk so that I
    know it's running.

    The SE stands for "Special Edition" hence no case.

    "ill" <artpform@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have to replace my current HD. I selected
    >
    > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=36
    >
    > a WD40. This is fine for my use.
    >
    > But I notice that they don't come in a case. Now I'm confused as the
    > last one I bought (many years ago) I remember as coming in a case, not
    > exposed like the one in the picture. Am I missing something?
    >
    > BTW $56 with shipping is the best price I can find. I'm staying in this
    > price range. Any better choice?
    >
    > Thanks.

    "ill" <artpform@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<pgcXc.19691$4o.13743@fed1read01>...

    > I have to replace my current HD. I selected
    >
    > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=36
    >
    > a WD40. This is fine for my use.
    >
    > But I notice that they don't come in a case. Now I'm confused
    > as the last one I bought (many years ago) I remember as coming
    > in a case, not exposed like the one in the picture. Am I missing
    > something?

    It's obviously a special ventilated hard drive model designed for high
    temperature environments.

    > BTW $56 with shipping is the best price I can find.

    $56 is what a 120GB typically costs now, after a rebate. I paid just
    $4 more for a 200G two months ago, and I recently bought a 120GB
    Seagate with a 5-year warranty for $47 AR (If I had waited another
    week I could have gotten a 160GB for an extra $2). Even if you don't
    need the extra capacity, it's nice for holding an extra partition
    that's an exact copy of the boot partition. That wa if Windows
    crashes badly, you can restore everything quickly.

    www.salescircular lists local store prices of computer stuff from
    places like OfficeMax, Office Depot, Staples, Circuit City, Fry's,
    Best Buy (boo!), and CompUSA (boo!). Unfortunately they often leave
    out Fry's specials, but you can get an idea them from
    http://newspaperads.dfw.com (Fry's ads vary slightly by city).

    "ill" <artpform@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have to replace my current HD. I selected
    >
    > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=36
    >
    > a WD40. This is fine for my use.
    >
    > But I notice that they don't come in a case. Now I'm confused as the
    > last one I bought (many years ago) I remember as coming in a case, not
    > exposed like the one in the picture. Am I missing something?
    >
    > BTW $56 with shipping is the best price I can find. I'm staying in this
    > price range. Any better choice?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Seagate 160GB $49.99 + shipping after $50 Rebate.

    http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4008242

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:53:12 -0700, "ill" <artpform@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have to replace my current HD. I selected
    >
    >http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=36
    >
    >a WD40. This is fine for my use.
    >
    >But I notice that they don't come in a case. Now I'm confused as the
    >last one I bought (many years ago) I remember as coming in a case, not
    >exposed like the one in the picture. Am I missing something?
    >
    >BTW $56 with shipping is the best price I can find. I'm staying in this
    >price range. Any better choice?
    >
    >Thanks.

    The one in the picture has the cover removed. The one you get you
    won't be able to see the platters. The platters are sealed within the
    case to protect it from dust particles. But for $56 you can get an
    80GB drive if you shop around, perhaps $10 more for one with a 8MB
    buffer. Anyway Western Digital is a decent brand.

    Better hurry !!! Must be purchased by 08/26/04 !!!

    "Terry Wilson" <terry1@notvalid.com> wrote in message

    > "ill" <artpform@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I have to replace my current HD. I selected
    >>
    >> http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=36
    >>
    >> a WD40. This is fine for my use.
    >>
    >> But I notice that they don't come in a case. Now I'm confused as the
    >> last one I bought (many years ago) I remember as coming in a case, not
    >> exposed like the one in the picture. Am I missing something?
    >>
    >> BTW $56 with shipping is the best price I can find. I'm staying in this
    >> price range. Any better choice?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    > Seagate 160GB $49.99 + shipping after $50 Rebate.
    >
    > http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4008242

    That picture is just for illustration purposes. The actual harddrive WILL
    arrive in a sealed case.

    --
    DaveW

    "ill" <artpform@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have to replace my current HD. I selected
    >
    > http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=36
    >
    > a WD40. This is fine for my use.
    >
    > But I notice that they don't come in a case. Now I'm confused as the
    > last one I bought (many years ago) I remember as coming in a case, not
    > exposed like the one in the picture. Am I missing something?
    >
    > BTW $56 with shipping is the best price I can find. I'm staying in this
    > price range. Any better choice?
    >
    > Thanks.

Homebuilt Cases Hard Drives Systems