Hard-drive shrunk after install..?

Just installed a Deskstar hard-drive (hitachi) which is packaged as an
80 gig drive, but in the bios and even after running F-disk... it only
shows up as 33 gig.. anyone know what I'm doing wrong.. haven't
encountered this prob before..

cheers.
8 answers Last reply
More about hard drive shrunk install

    "Alexhander5332" <alexander111@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > Just installed a Deskstar hard-drive (hitachi) which is packaged as an
    > 80 gig drive, but in the bios and even after running F-disk... it only
    > shows up as 33 gig.. anyone know what I'm doing wrong.. haven't
    > encountered this prob before..
    >
    > cheers.

    May not help much but when was the last time you upgraded the bios on your
    motherboard?

    Scott

    Some motherboard BIOSs only see a maximum size of hard disks of 32GB.

    Check if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard.

    Adam S

    "Alexhander5332" <alexander111@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > Just installed a Deskstar hard-drive (hitachi) which is packaged as an
    > 80 gig drive, but in the bios and even after running F-disk... it only
    > shows up as 33 gig.. anyone know what I'm doing wrong.. haven't
    > encountered this prob before..
    >
    > cheers.

    In article <dp7ri0l3pa9009h5sgrug86c72lhqsttad@4ax.com>, Alexhander5332
    says...

    > Just installed a Deskstar hard-drive (hitachi) which is packaged as an
    > 80 gig drive, but in the bios and even after running F-disk... it only
    > shows up as 33 gig.. anyone know what I'm doing wrong.. haven't
    > encountered this prob before..

    Check on the back and you'll find a jumper that limits the HDD to 32GB
    or so many sectors. Sometimes it comes set as default from the factory.

    --
    Conor

    You didn't give much information in your Post. It SOUNDS like you might be
    using an older motherboard whose BIOS will NOT recognize harddrives larger
    than 33GB. In which case you may be stuck using a smaller harddrive.

    --
    DaveW

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <dp7ri0l3pa9009h5sgrug86c72lhqsttad@4ax.com>, Alexhander5332
    > says...
    > >
    > > Just installed a Deskstar hard-drive (hitachi) which is packaged as an
    > > 80 gig drive, but in the bios and even after running F-disk... it only
    > > shows up as 33 gig.. anyone know what I'm doing wrong.. haven't
    > > encountered this prob before..
    > >
    > Check on the back and you'll find a jumper that limits the HDD to 32GB
    > or so many sectors. Sometimes it comes set as default from the factory.

    Oh my god! Why would a company do that?

    Scott

    Also, if you're running win98, it will only recognize up to 64 GB and the
    free space will be inaccurate.

    Craig wrote:

    > Also, if you're running win98, it will only recognize up to 64 GB and the
    > free space will be inaccurate.

    Close. Fdisk reports disk size wrong over 64 gig but there's a downloadable
    fix for that from Microsoft.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263044

    Format also displays the size wrong but they don't offer a 'fix' because
    it's only cosmetic as format still formats properly. If you format from
    within Windows Explorer you even get the correct display.

    Windows98 has the 137 gig limit and Microsoft offers no fix for that, but
    there is a third party patch.

    http://www.48bitlba.com/faq.htm

    "7. If Microsoft is not providing any Service Packs to Windows 98, 98SE, or
    ME to support 48-bit LBA hard drives, are there any other options to make
    my 48-bit LBA hard drive work with these versions of Windows besides what
    you've listed on this site?

    Rudolph Loew has created a patch for Windows 98/98SE/ME... You will find
    this patch at http://members.aol.com/rloew1/ "

    > "Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Alexhander5332" <alexander111@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Just installed a Deskstar hard-drive (hitachi) which is packaged as an
    >>>80 gig drive, but in the bios and even after running F-disk... it only
    >>>shows up as 33 gig.. anyone know what I'm doing wrong.. haven't
    >>>encountered this prob before..
    >>>
    >>>cheers.
    >>
    >>May not help much but when was the last time you upgraded the bios on your
    >>motherboard?
    >>
    >>Scott

    Howdy!

    > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <dp7ri0l3pa9009h5sgrug86c72lhqsttad@4ax.com>, Alexhander5332
    > > says...
    > > >
    > > > Just installed a Deskstar hard-drive (hitachi) which is packaged as an
    > > > 80 gig drive, but in the bios and even after running F-disk... it only
    > > > shows up as 33 gig.. anyone know what I'm doing wrong.. haven't
    > > > encountered this prob before..
    > > >
    > > Check on the back and you'll find a jumper that limits the HDD to 32GB
    > > or so many sectors. Sometimes it comes set as default from the factory.
    > >

    > Oh my god! Why would a company do that?

    Because there's a metric assload of MBs out there that barf at > 32G
    drives.

    So we have the "cylinder clip" jumper available.

    OTOH - PCI controllers are cheap.

    OTGH - I did an upgrade for one customer, mentioned the possibility
    that the new 40G drive might be a 32G installed, explained why - since he
    was coming from a 6G Bigfoot(tm), the 32G Maxtor was STILL so much more he
    didn't worry about it B)

    RwP

Homebuilt Hardware Hard Drives Systems