Jimmy

I'm trying to upgrade my CPU and was looking for help before I RMA the
CPU to newegg.

I have a Shuttle motherboard, AK31 V2 that's been running great for
the past 3 years, and looking to get some more life out of it.

I purchaced larg hard drive (160GB), two sticks of 512 RAM and a new
CPU (AMD 2100+ XP TBRED).

The current CPU, an Athlon 1.4 works and has worked fine. 266FSB. Hard
drive insalled fine, RAM installed perfecly however I cannot get the
new CPU to post at all. No beeps. Green light is on motherboard, fans
spin, HDD light goes on but nothing. No Post.

Tried clearing CMOS, one stick of RAM, both sticks, sticks in Slots
1&2, then in slots 1&4. Installed old CPU, reset FSB to 100 and
nothing. The TBRED doesn't even get warm, leading me to believe it's
defective.

Am I missing any step? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jimmy wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade my CPU and was looking for help before I RMA the
> CPU to newegg.
>
> I have a Shuttle motherboard, AK31 V2 that's been running great for
> the past 3 years, and looking to get some more life out of it.
>
> I purchaced larg hard drive (160GB), two sticks of 512 RAM and a new
> CPU (AMD 2100+ XP TBRED).
>
> The current CPU, an Athlon 1.4 works and has worked fine. 266FSB. Hard
> drive insalled fine, RAM installed perfecly however I cannot get the
> new CPU to post at all. No beeps. Green light is on motherboard, fans
> spin, HDD light goes on but nothing. No Post.
>
> Tried clearing CMOS, one stick of RAM, both sticks, sticks in Slots
> 1&2, then in slots 1&4. Installed old CPU, reset FSB to 100 and
> nothing. The TBRED doesn't even get warm, leading me to believe it's
> defective.
>
> Am I missing any step? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Did you check the Shuttle site? They say "AMD Athlon XP CPU with .18 micron
process technology is Supported since AK31 V2.0 BOM 24 & later.

Jimmy

Thanks David.

I purchaced a thoroughbred (.13 micron) CPU. No wonder it won't
post....

Damn. Foiled again....

Anybody have an AK31 v2 with a thoroughbred actually working? Is it
even possible? They are lower voltave as well....1.5-1.65 I think

Thanks again, David.

Jimmy wrote:

> Thanks David.
>
> I purchaced a thoroughbred (.13 micron) CPU. No wonder it won't
> post....
>
> Damn. Foiled again....

Well, I don't know that it automatically won't except that if a .18 won't
on less than the BOM 24 release then the .13 certainly won't. So the first
thing to check is which release of the V2 board you've got.

> Anybody have an AK31 v2 with a thoroughbred actually working? Is it
> even possible? They are lower voltave as well....1.5-1.65 I think

Yes, and that's a potential problem but shuttle didn't mention it. On the
other hand, they may have stopped 'mentioning' things about that board a
while back as it's not current issue.

Do some googling to see if you can find folks who've tried it.