CPU's RAM and FSB

Just bought an Athlon 3000xp with 333 FSB. Do i now need to upgrade the ram
from PC2100 at 266 fsb to something running at 333 to gain the full benifit
of the cpu upgrade?

Regards

Mark
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    In article <ZrqXc.937$Jn6.634@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, Mark says...
    > Just bought an Athlon 3000xp with 333 FSB. Do i now need to upgrade the ram
    > from PC2100 at 266 fsb to something running at 333 to gain the full benifit
    > of the cpu upgrade?

    Yep.

    --
    Conor

    You would get a small increase in performance - but if you're feeling brave
    you could try running the PC2100 at 333Mhz - you never know, it might work!
    (Perhaps try a slower CAS latency) If the PC boots with at this speed, then
    run Memtest a few times to confirm stable. The worst senario is it would'nt
    boot correctly or at all, in which case a BIOS reset would be in order...
    Perhaps I'm lucky but I''ve managed to run memory faster than rated speeds
    often.

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <ZrqXc.937$Jn6.634@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, Mark says...
    > > Just bought an Athlon 3000xp with 333 FSB. Do i now need to upgrade the
    ram
    > > from PC2100 at 266 fsb to something running at 333 to gain the full
    benifit
    > > of the cpu upgrade?
    > >
    > Yep.
    >

    > --
    > Conor

    Yes.

    --
    DaveW

    GTS wrote:
    > You would get a small increase in performance - but if you're feeling brave
    > you could try running the PC2100 at 333Mhz - you never know, it might work!

    It might also make the computer refuse to boot. I hope you've provided
    instructions on how to reset the OP's BIOS to default settings. It'll
    make the RAM run hotter, too.

    > (Perhaps try a slower CAS latency) If the PC boots with at this speed, then
    > run Memtest a few times to confirm stable. The worst senario is it would'nt
    > boot correctly or at all, in which case a BIOS reset would be in order...
    > Perhaps I'm lucky but I''ve managed to run memory faster than rated speeds
    > often.
    >
    > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <ZrqXc.937$Jn6.634@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, Mark says...
    >>
    >>>Just bought an Athlon 3000xp with 333 FSB. Do i now need to upgrade the
    >
    > ram
    >
    >>>from PC2100 at 266 fsb to something running at 333 to gain the full
    >
    > benifit
    >
    >>>of the cpu upgrade?
    >>>

    >>Yep.
    >>

    >>--