mark

Just bought an Athlon 3000xp with 333 FSB. Do i now need to upgrade the ram
from PC2100 at 266 fsb to something running at 333 to gain the full benifit
of the cpu upgrade?

Regards

Mark

In article <ZrqXc.937$Jn6.634@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, Mark says...
> Just bought an Athlon 3000xp with 333 FSB. Do i now need to upgrade the ram
> from PC2100 at 266 fsb to something running at 333 to gain the full benifit
> of the cpu upgrade?

Yep.

--
Conor

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

You would get a small increase in performance - but if you're feeling brave
you could try running the PC2100 at 333Mhz - you never know, it might work!
(Perhaps try a slower CAS latency) If the PC boots with at this speed, then
run Memtest a few times to confirm stable. The worst senario is it would'nt
boot correctly or at all, in which case a BIOS reset would be in order...
Perhaps I'm lucky but I''ve managed to run memory faster than rated speeds
often.

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <ZrqXc.937$Jn6.634@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, Mark says...
> > Just bought an Athlon 3000xp with 333 FSB. Do i now need to upgrade the
ram
> > from PC2100 at 266 fsb to something running at 333 to gain the full
benifit
> > of the cpu upgrade?
> >
> Yep.
>

> --
> Conor

Yes.

--
DaveW

GTS wrote:
> You would get a small increase in performance - but if you're feeling brave
> you could try running the PC2100 at 333Mhz - you never know, it might work!

It might also make the computer refuse to boot. I hope you've provided
instructions on how to reset the OP's BIOS to default settings. It'll
make the RAM run hotter, too.