XP-repair install

I want to transfer all the data from my old hard drive to a new one that is
installed in a system that I am building. If I clone the old drive's data
on to the new drive with Norton Ghost and do a repair install of XP will it
work? I know that I may have to re-activate XP, but it would be so much
easier to do that one step instead of finding all the install disks for the
software on the old drive.
6 answers Last reply
More about repair install

    Because you won't be reformatting the harddrive and doing a fresh install of
    the OS, you may get Registry errors. The Repair Utility in XP is not
    particularly good at finding and changing errors due to the motherboard
    change.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW wrote:

    > Because you won't be reformatting the harddrive and doing a fresh install of
    > the OS, you may get Registry errors. The Repair Utility in XP is not
    > particularly good at finding and changing errors due to the motherboard
    > change.

    The many times I've done it it's redetected the hardware precisely as it
    would have with a fresh install and operated in precisely the same manner
    afterwards, as if a fresh install, with the exception, of course, of
    keeping all one's settings, data, and programs.

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:24:40 GMT To confuse Arrogance with Confidence
    is as stupid as to confuse Ambition with Ability and then "DaveW"
    <none@zero.org> wrote :

    >Because you won't be reformatting the harddrive and doing a fresh install of
    >the OS, you may get Registry errors. The Repair Utility in XP is not
    >particularly good at finding and changing errors due to the motherboard
    >change.

    DaveW is a,"Wanker" :P

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:10:57 -0400 To confuse Arrogance with
    "BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote :

    >I want to transfer all the data from my old hard drive to a new one that is
    >installed in a system that I am building. If I clone the old drive's data
    >on to the new drive with Norton Ghost and do a repair install of XP will it
    >work? I know that I may have to re-activate XP, but it would be so much
    >easier to do that one step instead of finding all the install disks for the
    >software on the old drive.

    No probs.Click here,

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply
    email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

    DAVE!!!! formatting the drives does nothing but verify HD errors and
    maps them, basically. If the drive is bad enough that you feel a NEED
    to format, why are you using the drive? Registry errors are NOT
    related to(99% of the time) 'NOT formatting the drive' but rather the
    corruption of the disk that the files are being copied from software
    installed / uninstalled wrong -or virii.

    > Because you won't be reformatting the harddrive and doing a fresh
    install of
    > the OS, you may get Registry errors. The Repair Utility in XP is
    not
    > particularly good at finding and changing errors due to the
    motherboard
    > change.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
    > >I want to transfer all the data from my old hard drive to a new one
    that is
    > >installed in a system that I am building. If I clone the old
    drive's data
    > >on to the new drive with Norton Ghost and do a repair install of XP
    will it
    > >work? I know that I may have to re-activate XP, but it would be so
    much
    > >easier to do that one step instead of finding all the install disks
    for the
    > >software on the old drive.

    Just a quick note to all who helped. The install on a new machine went off
    without nearly a hitch. The biggest problem I had was cloning the drive.
    Ghost 2003 does not write a new boot sector on a USB transfer. I had to put
    both the drives on one cable and clone them the old fashoned way.
    Other than that the install went well. All the files and programs are there
    and work well. The drivers for the new hardware installed correctly when I
    went to device manager and updated the drivers for all the X'd out hardware.
    The only odd thing was that I did not have to call MS for a product
    activation. Maybe my score was just below the theshold, but it was a new
    MB, memory, drive, video card, and DVD burner.
    "BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
    >I want to transfer all the data from my old hard drive to a new one that is
    >installed in a system that I am building. If I clone the old drive's data
    >on to the new drive with Norton Ghost and do a repair install of XP will it
    >work? I know that I may have to re-activate XP, but it would be so much
    >easier to do that one step instead of finding all the install disks for the
    >software on the old drive.

Homebuilt Windows XP Systems