Am i doing something wrong or hl2 is real bad?

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Is it just me or the game is just boring?

I played the game from start to finish in less than 8 hour and i didnt rush at all. There is some anoyingly long load screen at each 5min. There is about 5 different model for your teamates. I actually bough the game trough steam and i was sure i was in for a good ride of fun. But no, the game got me bored from start to end.

I cant find the words to express my disguss, its not that its a terribly bad game, its just not a 7 year in development game. There is just ...how can i say that, no feeling to the game, no moment where you really want to win. There is also no story nor end , you just run trough a very narrow path all the time killing people, bugs, things...

There is some good moments but those are too sparse amongs a generally mediocre game.

The game is also really buggy, many time i have got stuck between a wall and a piece of havok object and got killed (Got killed about 3 time by a bicycle). Many time the game crashed to desktop instead of loading a new zone.

The graphics are good tho, physics are nice too. The game is just bland, boring, empty minded. Definatly not a 9/10 game. More like a 7.5-8/10

Oh and the so said revolutionary AI is not good at all.

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
How people like a game, is a rather personal experience. This post looks to me like you have a reasonable balanced view on the game. It's not my opinion but sure, I understand what you mean.

However when you say Doom1 is better than HL2 (in another topic on this forum) then you loose me, man. That is not a very balanced opinion at all.

I have lots more fun playing HL2 than Doom3, but that's just me. My personal measure for whether a game is really good, is when I actually get to finish it. By looking at how far I got into a game before I got bored is a reasonable measure of how a game is ranking in my book. Well, I am still playing HL2, I dont have the luxury of playing long stretches, but i've definitely already spent more than 8 hours in the game and I'm still only at highway17. No idea whether that's half way or not even that. I'll check the loading menu tonight which should be a reasonable indication of that. So in my perception finishing the game within 8 hours is rushing :smile: .

Doom3: i havent reached delta labs yet (after setting up satelite communication), stopped playing for now, might resume
FarCry: cant really remember where I'm at. I just saw valerie being taken away again. stopped playing for now, might resume (will finish this before finishing doom3, if at all).
PainKiller: finished 2 or 3 levels, then it got boring.
HalfLife1: never got to the finish of that either, but I'm now replaying HL:Source and I think i'll get there this time.
HL2: quite sure I am gonna finish it.

Doom1: finished it, Doom2: didnt finish it. Quake2: finished it.

This is all only singleplayer FPS games. multiplayer is a different ballgame.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>

pauldh

Illustrious
I don't see how it is possible to finish it in 8 hours without rushing it. I'm just taking my time and enjoying it. Maybe that is why you didn't like it? Enjoy the physics a little why don't you. :tongue:

MSI K8N Neo2 platinum, A64 3000+, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I find HL2 to be a reasonably good looking game (I reckon in some ways Farcry still holds the beauty crown but considering HL2's scalability compared to FC then HL2 wins in that respect). I also reckon the
physics while not totally perfect are the best implemented in a game so far and definitely adds a new element when it comes to little puzzles and so on.

But what I don't like is:
AI is fairly unchallenging... actually make that completely unchallenging.

Game is linear.... walk for a bit, shoot some bad guys, get in car, drive for a bit, shoot some bad guys and repeat.

Weapons are muck. I hear ppl going on about the grav gun and it's brilliance.... it's shyte... U only really need it for ravenholme (which contains a scarey number of circular saw blades and paint cans... maybe it was once a circular saw blade and paint can factory???) Pick up anything else and u can't see where yur supposed to fire it and I've no interest in hopping a barrel off the head of an enemy repeatedly to kill it. The machine guns are wholly inaccurate and dont allow u to burst fire... Just simply press fire and hope. Grenades are a complete mess and I hate them passionately. But on the otherhand the shotgun is superb and the rocket launcher is quite fun although only really used to take out the gunships (and always at a point where there is a handy rocket ammo case....)

Enemies are fairly bland as well being a mix of Combine police or head crabs.... and while I'm on the matter why do all the zombies wear the same clothes??? Did the head crabs raid a laboratory full of white coat wearing ppl (And no one point out to me that thats what happened in HL1 I know but in fairness to have every head crab guy in a white lab coat is glaringly annoying)??
General environment sounds are great but I find the weapon sounds and other misc sounds a little weedy.
Finally I don't find the game atmospheric and I don't like the fact that the only real pervading objective is to keep plodding down the next corridor or road...

In saying that I'm still enjoying the game but I don't agree with the ravings of game reviewers and other ppl about how this is the greatest shooter of all time and for me CoD still holds the top spot. Although I'd also like to say that I too have gotten a little past the part where u meet the striders for the first time in little more than a day or so's play and I beleive I'm more or less close to the end now and I haven't been bothered to play the game for the last 2 days.

I will argue tho coulter that yur exaggeratting the loading times or yur system isnt the best... my loading time for a first time load is about 20 secs or so but for loading times for new area are maybe.... 10 seconds... hardly 5 minutes...

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Well the loading arnt that long but they are EVERYWHERE, its always loading. There is no immersion and whenever you get to immerse yourself a bit there is a loading getting you out.

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
I personally like the game alot. I've been playing it since the first night it was realeased through Steam, and i must say that it is one of the games that really grabs my interest. Like Star Wars BattleFront for instance was good for the first night i played but havent been interested enough to play it again. Too repetitive and boring.
Unlike HL2 where there is alot to do and figure out. Looks Great, plays smooth and doesnt take long to load at all.

As mentioned above, everyone has thier preference as far as what games are good and what is not. As for myself. i'm a FPS person and totally hate RTS and some RPG's. But as mentioned, everyone has thier own preference.

I dont know what skill level you're playing on but it must be easy if you really finished in 8 hours. I'm playing normal cause im just not good enough for the hard difficulty level.

Anyhoo, sorry you didnt like the game but im sure i speak for alot of people when i say this game is absolutely awesome and it will be one of the few games that will be played a second time.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

pauldh

Illustrious
I also like the game alot and am drawn in by it. I agree with you that load times, even though just seconds long, are a distraction in any game. Farcry spoiled me bigtime and I now notice load times more. But MOHPA is much worse. It is full of short missions that seem to often last only 30-90 seconds before a load again.

MSI K8N Neo2 platinum, A64 3000+, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro

pauldh

Illustrious
I like COD also, but how can you love that and complain HL2 is too Linear? What did you think of MOHAA single player?

Anyway, I am annoyed by carrying large objects with the gravity gun, or having to look straight up to hold the sawblades above a railing in Ravenholm. But to me it ads to the game. I am never nearly out of Ammo because I use the gravity gun alot. I especailly liked being able to grab a piece of metal siding from a building and holding it sideways, sliced two of those huge lion ants in half. That was so much fun I paused from moving forward and decided to keep throwing as much as I could at the never ending ant colony. Maybe I had a bone to pick with them as they had ganged up on me while I tried to flip my buggy over earlier. :smile:

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
CoD has constantly changing missions and objectives. HL2 is just one long walk/drive. CoDs atmosphere is like bullets and mortars going off around you... run a bit... fire.... chuck a grenade.... move up on a position.... take out a entrenched machine gun... grab a panzershrek and destroy a tank.... plant explosives and so on all while bullets are flying and ppl are dying.

HL2 is (particularly on the coast road) drive for a bit, see a house, know that there are bads in guys in the house, drive past the house, guys run out, keep on driving cos I can't be bothered to stop OR get out of my car, sprint up to a bad guy and do little more than hold down fire, turn and repeat till all bad guys are dead get back in car and repeat again a little further up the road (this analogy can be used for the walking sections as well)..... amazing and well thought out gameplay there....

CoD is a well paced shooter that keeps you on yur toes for every second of the game requiring quick thinking and quick reflexes. I think my main grievance with HL2 is that it's too easy.... The game requires little to no skill to play and for me as an experienced FPS player I have run through most of the game already.

HL2 is just a very well polished average game in my opinion.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

pauldh

Illustrious
HL2 does seem pretty easy on the normal setting anyway, but it is still IMO one of the best single player experiences I have ever played. But I really see COD as very/or more linear, which isn't a bad thing. I loved the game enough to want to replay it again someday. I may have liked Farcry better than both even, but all three were well worth the money to me.

I can't believe that COD is $9.99 at BestBuy tomorrow. What a bargain for anyone who doesn't have it.

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Just finished HL2 and i must say that i was a little disappointed at the ending. It always took me a while to finish the final battle in games but this was easy. Overall it was a great game.

9.99 huh? Just think of all the games we payed full price for when they first came out and now the prices are that low.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yup $9.99 no rebates either. Another good bargain is Target had MOHAA/Spearhead/Breakthrough trio box for $29.99. I paid probably $95 for those three seperately.

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
WOW, thats pretty damn good. I know i payed full price for those as well. Look at Battlefield 1942 and its packs. I payed full price for those and now you can buy the trio for like 39 beans.
Max payne, i payed 50 for, now its 19.99, some places 9.99 im sure.
I could go on, even with playstation games. But since i started playing pc games, i dont like to play console games.
I do know if i do wait for a games price to go down it never does. It seems as if it only goes down when i pay full price.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yeah i think HL2 is getting critized alittle to much... sit back and like someone else said up above, enjoy the physics of the game... enjoy the incredible graphics, and the environments of the game, enjoy all the cool stuff you can do like interact with basically every object.... and oh yeah THE GRAPHICS ARE NUTZ!!!

i mean the review THG gave HL2 was pretty damn good... but like someone else also said, the game is only as good as you make it out to be basically...... like for instance, TONS of people love those warcraft, age of empire games..lol i'd rather take my computer and have it get introduced to my new friend the baseball bat..lol... those games are INSANELY horrible to me. so it deff has alot to do with personal preference.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
oh yeah and HELLO !!! how the hell can we forget about CS:SOURCE!!! that is basically the main reason i bought HL2, i am a CS:SOURCE NUT!

game rocks.......... game on fellas

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
I just finished HL2 the other day and now im playing it again. Cause i know there is some stuff i missed the first time around. I have never played a game a second time right after i finished the first time. So thats gota say something about the game

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
good sh!t man... yeah game is nice

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Maybe the game might be a challenge then..... If I could be bothered to finish the game I might try it myself but I'm not sure if running up to an enemy and holding down the fire button for longer than I would for normal setting appeals to me.....

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
You can change difficulty settings while playing (no need to start again) so you can try for yourself right away.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
I hear what your sayin. Takes more to damage them and less for them to damage you in hard mode.

For example. Killing striders:
easy mode 3 rpgs
normal 5 rpgs
hard mode 7 rpgs

I'll try it but then give up after having to empty 100 bullits in a combine to kill him.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
exactly.... my personal preference for a shooter is having enemies that take few bullets to take down but the enemies make themselves hard to hit which as far as I'm concerned involves more skill and is more gratifying.