need help upgrading old pc

I have an old AMD athlon 700. On shuttle's site it states that the board can
handle a 1GHz chip. The board has a 100Mhz FSB when i go to pricewatch to
preform a price check I see a 1GHz chip with a 200MHz FSB not 100MHz. I
found a CPU on for $149 its an AMD - Athlon 1GHz with 3DNow! (K7) 1000MHz
- OEM - 512k SlotA 512k. I just want to make sure that i buy the right chip
and install the fastest chip that i can. So I can extend the life of this
system. Thanks Justin

* Chipset
AMD-751 (Irongate, North Bridge)
AMD-756 (South Bridge)
* Slot A CPU Support
AMD Athlon and Thunderbird (Slot A) with 500 ... 1000 MHz
Automatic adjustment of the CPU Vcore-voltage
Connetor for CPU- and AGP-fan onboard available.
* Expansion Slots
1 x A.G.P. 66/133MHz (2X mode), 3,3V
5 x 32 Bit PCI (all busmasters)
* Onboard IDE Controller
2-Channel Enhanced PCI IDE
for up to 4 IDE devices
supports UltraDMA/66
with ATA-66-Kabel
* Hardware monitoring
for temperature, voltage and fan
* More interfaces
1 x Floppy drive (up to 2,88 MB)
1 x Parallel (SSP/EPP/ECP)
2 x Serial (16550 compatible, Fifo)
1 x Infrared (SIR/CIR, IrDA-Adapter not included in delivery)
1 x PS/2-Mouse
1 x PS/2-Keyboard
1 x WOL (Wake on Lan)
4 x USB
* Memory
3 x 168-Pin DIMM-socket
for up to 768 MB memory SDRAM
with 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256 MB size
* Power Management
Power saving modes: Doze, Standby and Suspend
ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface),
On/Off-button with two functions: Suspend-mode / soft-off
* BIOS
Award v6.0PG PnP Green BIOS
2 MBit Flash EPROM
* Form Factor
30,5 x 24,4 cm, ATX.

"justinnkim" <justinnkim@$cox.net> wrote in message
> I have an old AMD athlon 700. On shuttle's site it states that the board
can
> handle a 1GHz chip. The board has a 100Mhz FSB when i go to pricewatch to
> preform a price check I see a 1GHz chip with a 200MHz FSB not 100MHz. I
> found a CPU on for $149 its an AMD - Athlon 1GHz with 3DNow! (K7)
1000MHz
> - OEM - 512k SlotA 512k. I just want to make sure that i buy the right
chip
> and install the fastest chip that i can. So I can extend the life of this
> system. Thanks Justin

from www.mwave.com, motherboard bundles:

MB-BA03057 -BA19906 -BA13301 -BA02606 - AMD ATHLON XP 2000+ 266MHZ OEM
BUNDLE W/ Details (BIOSTAR M7NCD-400; MWAVE COPPER PLATE FAN; MWAVE 512MB
DDR266; NO TESTING) $175.00 $175.00

note that includes processor, good quality mainboard and 512MB RAM

begin 666 blank.gif
M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)$``````/_______P```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```("
$5 $`.P``
`
end

Justin,

There is a Slot A 1000mHz unit over on eBay, $80.00.

JPS

Matt wrote:

> justinnkim wrote:
>
>> found a CPU on for $149 its an AMD - Athlon 1GHz with 3DNow! (K7)
>> 1000MHz - OEM - 512k SlotA 512k. I just want to make sure that i buy the
>> right chip and install the fastest chip that i can. So I can extend the
>> life of this system. Thanks Justin
>
> Buy a new nforce2 motherboard and a new Athlon XP 2500+ Barton for about
> $150.
what is Barton???

> > Buy a new nforce2 motherboard and a new Athlon XP 2500+ Barton for about
> > $150.
> what is Barton???

The codename for a certain series of microprocessor. -Dave