How to extend the range of my MN-700 Base Station

Hi, I have a Microsoft MN-700 Wireless Base Station that works very well.
However, it is located in one corner of the first floor of my house, with the
result that the wireless signal is weak in the far corners of the house, both
upstairs and in the basement. I cannot change the location of the existing
MN-700 Wireless Base Station and cannot add Ethernet wiring to the house.

I tried a LinkSys Range Extender, but that does not seem compatible with the
MN-700. In any event, it is not WPA compliant. I also looked at a D-Link
"Wireless G Range Extender," but was told that I would need a physical cable
between the extender and the base station, so that approach does not seem as
if it would work either.

Does anyone have any suggestion for extending the range of the MN-700 in a
way that does not involve the use of physical cables?

Thanks very much.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

Entry Level Extenders (or by their real technological name Repeaters) are
chipset dependent and therefore guaranteed to work with Hardware of the same
Brand.

You can try to build your Own Extender. Buy two Access Points (AP) one of
them has to be able to be configured as Client (Wireless Modes -
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ). Configure the client AP to
communicate to the MN-700 and then plug the second AP to it and configure it
as a regular AP.

Put the concoction in the middle of the way between the MN-700 and the
destination computer.

Doing such an arrangement might cost a little more, and be a little

bulky. On the other hand it would not cut the bandwidth into Half as
Repeaters do.

Otherwise may be this can Help.

Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

Wireless Segregation: http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"woorob" <woorob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a Microsoft MN-700 Wireless Base Station that works very well.
> However, it is located in one corner of the first floor of my house, with
the
> result that the wireless signal is weak in the far corners of the house,
both
> upstairs and in the basement. I cannot change the location of the
existing
> MN-700 Wireless Base Station and cannot add Ethernet wiring to the house.
>
> I tried a LinkSys Range Extender, but that does not seem compatible with
the
> MN-700. In any event, it is not WPA compliant. I also looked at a D-Link
> "Wireless G Range Extender," but was told that I would need a physical
cable
> between the extender and the base station, so that approach does not seem
as
> if it would work either.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion for extending the range of the MN-700 in a
> way that does not involve the use of physical cables?
>
> Thanks very much.

TRENDING THREADS