New SD card

August 13, 2004 1:23:54 PM

What is needed to get a new SD card to be recognized? Just got a Kingston
256MB card for my 3950.

More about : card

August 13, 2004 1:23:55 PM

Reply to message from "Roy Soltoff" <royUNDO@CLEANmedicomp.com> (Fri, 13
Aug 2004 09:23:54) about "New SD card":

On my 4355 I inserted kingston 256 mb card into sdio slot and could
immediately see it. Are you having a specific problem'

Bye
Ann <nospam@netzero.com> Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:57:00 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roy Soltoff" <royUNDO@CLEANmedicomp.com> Sent: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:
23:54 Subject: New SD card

What is needed to get a new SD card to be recognized? Just got a Kingston
256MB card for my 3950.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 1:23:55 PM

Insert the card and off you go. if the card is not functioning right
now you might want to try it in a different device, and in a cardreader
on the desktop pc you might try reformatting it once.

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

The problem is that it does not see the card. It does not show up as a
'storage device' like my CF card (in the sleeve) did.

"Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Reply to message from "Roy Soltoff" <royUNDO@CLEANmedicomp.com> (Fri, 13
> Aug 2004 09:23:54) about "New SD card":
>
> On my 4355 I inserted kingston 256 mb card into sdio slot and could
> immediately see it. Are you having a specific problem'
>

> Bye
> Ann <nospam@netzero.com> Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:57:00 -0400
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 2:55:15 PM

The only card reader I have is the reader on my printer at home. I'll try it
there to see if I can 'see' it through that.

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Insert the card and off you go. if the card is not functioning right
> now you might want to try it in a different device, and in a cardreader
> on the desktop pc you might try reformatting it once.
>

> ~S.
>

> "Roy Soltoff" <royUNDO@CLEANmedicomp.com> wrote in
>
> > What is needed to get a new SD card to be recognized? Just got a
> > Kingston 256MB card for my 3950.
> >

> --
> ======================
> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> HTTP://www.xarane.com
> ======================
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 7:27:49 PM

"Roy Soltoff" <royUNDO@CLEANmedicomp.com> wrote in message
> What is needed to get a new SD card to be recognized? Just got a Kingston
> 256MB card for my 3950.

It needs to be formatted.

However some machines have difficulties reading some makes of cards- check
the newsgroup archives for more information. There can also be size
limitations of the memory card for some applications.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 7:27:50 PM

Thanks, will check further.

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Roy Soltoff" <royUNDO@CLEANmedicomp.com> wrote in message
> > What is needed to get a new SD card to be recognized? Just got a
Kingston
> > 256MB card for my 3950.
> >

> It needs to be formatted.
>
> However some machines have difficulties reading some makes of cards- check
> the newsgroup archives for more information. There can also be size
> limitations of the memory card for some applications.

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 8:43:20 PM

Card readers are fairly inexpensive now, and would allow direct file
transfer to the card without going through activesync- I find it a lot
faster and more reliable.

> The only card reader I have is the reader on my printer at home. I'll try
it
> there to see if I can 'see' it through that.
>
> "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Insert the card and off you go. if the card is not functioning right
> > now you might want to try it in a different device, and in a cardreader
> > on the desktop pc you might try reformatting it once.
> >

> > ~S.
> >

> > "Roy Soltoff" <royUNDO@CLEANmedicomp.com> wrote in
> >
> > > What is needed to get a new SD card to be recognized? Just got a
> > > Kingston 256MB card for my 3950.
> > >

> > --
> > ======================
> > ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> > OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> > iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> > HTTP://www.xarane.com
> > ======================

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 8:43:21 PM

Yes, looks like eCost has one under $10. I've seen them in the past for free
after rebate, but really never needed one since I have a reader on my
printer. I need to wait until I get home to see if I can write to the card
from that device - it's an HP psc2210. I klnow that I can transfer image
files to the reader using HP's utility working with an MMC card.

> Card readers are fairly inexpensive now, and would allow direct file
> transfer to the card without going through activesync- I find it a lot
> faster and more reliable.
>

> "Roy Soltoff" <royUNDO@CLEANmedicomp.com> wrote in message
> > The only card reader I have is the reader on my printer at home. I'll
try
> it
> > there to see if I can 'see' it through that.
> >
> > "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Insert the card and off you go. if the card is not functioning right
> > > now you might want to try it in a different device, and in a
cardreader
> > > on the desktop pc you might try reformatting it once.
> > >

> > > ~S.
> > >

> > > "Roy Soltoff" <royUNDO@CLEANmedicomp.com> wrote in

> > > --
> > > ======================
> > > ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> > > OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> > > iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> > > HTTP://www.xarane.com
> > > ======================

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 9:07:06 PM

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cfino2$c8r$1
@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

> Card readers are fairly inexpensive now, and would allow direct file
> transfer to the card without going through activesync- I find it a lot
> faster and more reliable.

That's not a great idea if you're moving documents like word, excel, pdfs,
etc. around. Activesync takes care of conversions for you. If you're
moving pictures and audio around, its fine

Scott
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 10:57:42 PM

Word and excel are directly readable on a PPC and do not require conversion.
Conversion does reduce the file size by removing the features not supported
anyway. PDFs are tagged by the conversion to allow reflow, but are perfectly
legible without that process. Powerpoint is converted to a format that
nothing can read. Not converting at least leaves it in a format Clearvue
can.

The only normal file type I can think of that has to be converted is Access
..mdbs and that is to take advantage of the database applications that can
use the resulting .cdb.

I wouldn't sweat the lack of conversion by using a card reader.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Scott Seidman" <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cfino2$c8r$1
> @newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
> > Card readers are fairly inexpensive now, and would allow direct file
> > transfer to the card without going through activesync- I find it a lot
> > faster and more reliable.
> >

> That's not a great idea if you're moving documents like word, excel, pdfs,
> etc. around. Activesync takes care of conversions for you. If you're
> moving pictures and audio around, its fine
>
> Scott
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 11:00:31 PM

Typically SD cards come formatted, or the PPC will prompt to allow
formatting if it is not, or the existing format is not recognized. Hopefully
you have not received a bad one. Another thought is to try a soft reset
with the card in the PPC.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Roy Soltoff" <royUNDO@CLEANmedicomp.com> wrote in message
> > What is needed to get a new SD card to be recognized? Just got a
Kingston
> > 256MB card for my 3950.
> >

> It needs to be formatted.
>
> However some machines have difficulties reading some makes of cards- check
> the newsgroup archives for more information. There can also be size
> limitations of the memory card for some applications.

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:37:26 AM

"Scott Seidman" <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cfino2$c8r$1
> @newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
> > Card readers are fairly inexpensive now, and would allow direct file
> > transfer to the card without going through activesync- I find it a lot
> > faster and more reliable.
> >

> That's not a great idea if you're moving documents like word, excel, pdfs,
> etc. around. Activesync takes care of conversions for you. If you're
> moving pictures and audio around, its fine
>
> Scott

I never said to use them for everything, but there are definite advantages
for some files.
!