5.1 headphones

Has anyone used 5.1 surround headphones, or can recommend a pair? I've seen
a few for sale, but don't know if they can really give the richness of what
external speakers can do. Price is a concern, so I'd be looking toward the
lower end of the spectrum (don't care about noise cancellation).

"David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message news:<cgvv1s$4pmt$1@netnews.upenn.edu>...
> Has anyone used 5.1 surround headphones, or can recommend a pair? I've seen
> a few for sale, but don't know if they can really give the richness of what
> external speakers can do. Price is a concern, so I'd be looking toward the
> lower end of the spectrum (don't care about noise cancellation).

I've got a pair of the Zalman 5.1's. They work pretty good for
headphones. Not too pricey.
http://tinyurl.com/656e5

"MXC rules!" <MXCrules450@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone used 5.1 surround headphones, or can recommend a pair? I've
>> seen
>> a few for sale, but don't know if they can really give the richness of
>> what
>> external speakers can do. Price is a concern, so I'd be looking toward
>> the
>> lower end of the spectrum (don't care about noise cancellation).
>
> I've got a pair of the Zalman 5.1's. They work pretty good for
> headphones. Not too pricey.
> http://tinyurl.com/656e5

First off headphones will not sound as good as a dedicated 5.1 etc. system.
However if, like me, you can't have a 5.1 setup (my room is unsuitable) then
I'd recommend the Medusa 5.1 headphones. I've been using them for about a
month now with games (e.g. Far Cry, Doom 3) and am very impressed so far.
Also they're only £40 from play.com - a real bargain.

HTH

BillL

"Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "MXC rules!" <MXCrules450@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone used 5.1 surround headphones, or can recommend a pair? I've
>>> seen
>>> a few for sale, but don't know if they can really give the richness of
>>> what
>>> external speakers can do. Price is a concern, so I'd be looking toward
>>> the
>>> lower end of the spectrum (don't care about noise cancellation).
>>
>> I've got a pair of the Zalman 5.1's. They work pretty good for
>> headphones. Not too pricey.
>> http://tinyurl.com/656e5
>
> First off headphones will not sound as good as a dedicated 5.1 etc.
> system. However if, like me, you can't have a 5.1 setup (my room is
> unsuitable) then I'd recommend the Medusa 5.1 headphones. I've been using
> them for about a month now with games (e.g. Far Cry, Doom 3) and am very
> impressed so far. Also they're only £40 from play.com - a real bargain.
>
> HTH
>
> BillL

I have plenty of room (and a nice Klipsch 4.1 system). I also happen to
have a wife.

"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message

> "Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "MXC rules!" <MXCrules450@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I've got a pair of the Zalman 5.1's. They work pretty good for
>>> headphones. Not too pricey.
>>> http://tinyurl.com/656e5
>>
>> First off headphones will not sound as good as a dedicated 5.1 etc.
>> system. However if, like me, you can't have a 5.1 setup (my room is
>> unsuitable) then I'd recommend the Medusa 5.1 headphones. I've been using
>> them for about a month now with games (e.g. Far Cry, Doom 3) and am very
>> impressed so far. Also they're only £40 from play.com - a real bargain.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> BillL
>>
> I have plenty of room (and a nice Klipsch 4.1 system). I also happen to
> have a wife.

Wife? Wot's one of them? Can they be upgraded?

A review/overview of the Medusa's: -

http://www.walibe.com/reviews-47.html

And a forum thread: -

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=787908

The opinions on the thread are much more *mixed* on the subject of the
Medusa's & surround sound headphones generally.

BillL

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:26:52 -0400, "David Besack"
<daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote:

>Has anyone used 5.1 surround headphones, or can recommend a pair? I've seen
>a few for sale, but don't know if they can really give the richness of what
>external speakers can do. Price is a concern, so I'd be looking toward the
>lower end of the spectrum (don't care about noise cancellation).

How many ears do you have?

ss

Clyde

sose wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:26:52 -0400, "David Besack"
> <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone used 5.1 surround headphones, or can recommend a pair? I've seen
>>a few for sale, but don't know if they can really give the richness of what
>>external speakers can do. Price is a concern, so I'd be looking toward the
>>lower end of the spectrum (don't care about noise cancellation).
>>

> How many ears do you have?
>
> ss

Just as many as I have using a 5.1 speaker system. Are you snidely
implying that 2 ears will only ever hear stereo?

Clyde

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

"Clyde" <lughclyde@attbi.comedy> wrote in message
> sose wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:26:52 -0400, "David Besack"
>> <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Has anyone used 5.1 surround headphones, or can recommend a pair? I've
>>>seen
>>>a few for sale, but don't know if they can really give the richness of
>>>what
>>>external speakers can do. Price is a concern, so I'd be looking toward
>>>the
>>>lower end of the spectrum (don't care about noise cancellation).
>>>

>> How many ears do you have?
>>
>> ss
>>

> Just as many as I have using a 5.1 speaker system. Are you snidely
> implying that 2 ears will only ever hear stereo?
>
> Clyde

I bought the Medusa 5.1 headphones, unfortunately I've never listend to a
home 5.1/surround system (part of the reason I went for the medusa's was
because it wouldn't be able setup a surround system in the room where my PC
is.).

I would say that in games such as Far Cry, Doom 3 and HL2 they give a fairly
good surround sound effect (haven't tried them with DVD's) but what I'm
really impressed with is the bass from the 'sub-woofer' - you can really
'feel' it. Zalman also do 5.1 headphones but the Medusa's were only £40 from
Play.com. The reviews I read (sorry I don't have a link) were more positive
than for the Zalman's. The only annoying problem I have is that sometimes
there is an annoying hum with the Medusa's - you have to experiment with the
placement of the control box and audio settings.

However, you may still find you get better sound quality with a pair of
'audiophile' headphones.

Oh and ignore the git who replied to your original post! ;o)

HTH

BillL