old mobo battery question

Howdy.

Still trying to get this old Asus PCI/I-P54TP4 rev 1.32 motherboard up
and running. Actually it is up and running, just not tweaked yet.

Where's the darn battery? I am having troubles with email and firewall
because of the time. It keeps saying it is 2094 and I keep changing it
back to 2004 in the BIOS and on the sys tray. I figure it's the
battery, but can't seem to locate the mangey thing.

All I could find was something that looked like a chip (but isn't),
rectangle in shape that has an alarm type clock on it with this:

Dallas
DS12887
RealTime
9508A2 057158

Can't tell if it can be romoved or not. Am I on a snipe hunt here??

Could it posible be a year 2000 thing? I'm running Win98 on the box.
Am I grasping at straws here? :)

--
The Seabat

seabat wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Still trying to get this old Asus PCI/I-P54TP4 rev 1.32 motherboard up
> and running. Actually it is up and running, just not tweaked yet.
>
> Where's the darn battery? I am having troubles with email and firewall
> because of the time. It keeps saying it is 2094 and I keep changing it
> back to 2004 in the BIOS and on the sys tray. I figure it's the
> battery, but can't seem to locate the mangey thing.
>
> All I could find was something that looked like a chip (but isn't),
> rectangle in shape that has an alarm type clock on it with this:
>
> Dallas
> DS12887
> RealTime
> 9508A2 057158
>
> Can't tell if it can be romoved or not. Am I on a snipe hunt here??

I'm impressed you deduced it. Yep, that's it. Dallas (now Maxim) made/makes
a number of 'battery inside' devices. Here's the data for yours...

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2681/ln/en

App note on replacing it

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/769

> Could it posible be a year 2000 thing? I'm running Win98 on the box.
> Am I grasping at straws here? :)

Not a windows problem.