barcode on pocket pc

August 13, 2004 10:41:03 AM

can i learn the barcode of a product with my pocket pc? i mean can the
pocket pc behave like a barcode reader? and what do i need for making a
program like this.

More about : barcode pocket

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 5:03:19 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 06:41:03 -0700, eyican
<eyican@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>can i learn the barcode of a product with my pocket pc? i mean can the
>pocket pc behave like a barcode reader? and what do i need for making a
>program like this.

Socket makes a CF Card barcode reader. It comes with a "keyboard
wedge", which is a piece of software that redirects the barcode to
whatever window has focus. See
http://www.socketcom.com/product/bar.asp
I'm pretty sure other companies make similar devices. Try
http://www.mobileplanet.com/
I know several companies make industrial-strength (sturdy and pricey)
Pocket PCs that include barcode scanners.

We sell a program that collects data, including barcodes.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 7:25:28 PM

"eyican" <eyican@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can i learn the barcode of a product with my pocket pc? i mean can the
> pocket pc behave like a barcode reader? and what do i need for making a
> program like this.

That is a very (too) general question for such a diverse application. It
depends on what you are trying to do.

The following may vary on the type of barcode and its usage.

I don't know here are barcode readers available for ppc's, there very
probably are, I've seen them for other types of handheld but custom designs
are more suitable for most uses- they are more robust than your ppc and the
battery life would probably be better. If you do go ahead remember that
there are a lot of code types- you need to make sure that the software can
decode the type of barcode (UPC, Weber, Argus, EAN, ISBN, ISSN, UCC/EAN-14,
Postnet, Royal Mail, Code 39, Code 93, Code 128, Codabar, MSI, Plessey,
Telepen, SISAC and many more.) you wish to use. You would have to enter
identification details yourself though.

Barcode type used may depend/vary depending on your country- which you've
kept a secret.

Retail Barcode numbers are sold in sections of numbers by the barcode
association to manufacturers- there are different organisations for
different countries but these organisations are co-operative so the numbers
aren't duplicated. Part of the code in Europe includes the country of origin
too (although this refers to the source of the barcode number, not
necessarily the product). There are many code types- EAN, UPC, ITF etc. and
some include variable data like expiry dates, batch codes, serial numbers
and storage locations. Barcode authorities will have information on the
ranges of barcodes issued to companies, but not individual use of each code.
This individual coding will be passed on to retailers/distribution (anyone
who would use the code) by each particular manufacturer. So, in short- no.
There is not one central registry of each individual barcode number.

Different codes are used in different places- for example a single deodorant
will have a barcode on it. This may be sold to smaller retailers in 6 packs
so there will be a barcode on for the six pack- different to the individual
unit. These sixpacks may be transported in a box holding 4 packs- yes,
another barcode. Then the shippers are stacked onto a pallet which may have
60 boxes- ye, another barcode for the pallet.

Some barcodes are for individual internal use by companies so can be used by
multiple companies (for example a hair dye product to ensure that boxes
aren't mixed up so that only the right colour of product goes into the
matching box) but if these products are destined for the retail market there
will be a supermarket type barcode (EAN/UPC etc) for pricing and stock
information. These numbers aren't issued by bar-coding authorities but by
internal departments/procedures of a company.

There are plenty of web sites with information about barcodes- try a web
search. The subject can get quite diverse and involved though, so be
prepared. And you may find it easier if you know what you want to achieve
and target that area for searches.

Good Luck.
But try this for a starter:
http://www.dltechnology.co.uk/dlsoft/support/barcode_in...
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 8:34:19 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:25:28 +0100, "AlanS"
<news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>I don't know here are barcode readers available for ppc's, there very
>probably are,
There are bar code readers fro the Ipaq. Look for them in Pocket PC
Magazine.