Slower memory...better?

Hello,

My system currently has 196mb of sdram, 128 and a 64 chip and I believe it
is pc100 memory. MY motherboard manual says it can take either pc100 or
pc1300 speed memory.

Well, I recently got my hands on 2 x 128mb chips = 265mb but they run at
pc66.

The general consensus is that the more memory a system has the quicker it
will run but assuming my board can take the pc66 speed should I expect the
*extra* ram to increase my performance or will the fact that the memory is
*slower* cancel the extra memory out?

In other words, will 256mb ram running at pc66 give better performance that
196mb ram running at pc100?

Cheers,

TD.

FREE - Stop Spam Now - FREE
http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?obteip

That's the rated speed. It doesn't run at that speed
automatically, what it runs at depends on your CPU type or
motherboard settings, which appears to be 100MHz or better,
though can't tell for sure from your info.

Assuming your's is set to run at 100MHz, if the
PC66 can run at your current higher FSB settings, then you'll
see a modest improvement, depending on how you use
your computer and what you run. However, the if it doesn't
run well at 100MHz, then it may become unstable. If that's the
case, you'll see hanging, rebooting, or may be even not passing POST.

First you need to find whether your typical use requires above
say 160mb of RAM. And if you do, you should go not to
256, which is too incremental, but much higher, probably
an additional 128megs or more.

To cut a long story short: no, I wouldn't do such this upgrade.

"toedipper" <send_rubbish_here734@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My system currently has 196mb of sdram, 128 and a 64 chip and I believe it
> is pc100 memory. MY motherboard manual says it can take either pc100 or
> pc1300 speed memory.
>
> Well, I recently got my hands on 2 x 128mb chips = 265mb but they run at
> pc66.
>
> The general consensus is that the more memory a system has the quicker it
> will run but assuming my board can take the pc66 speed should I expect the
> *extra* ram to increase my performance or will the fact that the memory is
> *slower* cancel the extra memory out?
>
> In other words, will 256mb ram running at pc66 give better performance that
> 196mb ram running at pc100?
>
> Cheers,
>
> TD.

> FREE - Stop Spam Now - FREE
> http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?obteip

Your computer CANNOT use 66 MHz memory. Buy some 100 MHz memory to upgrade
properly.

DaveW

"toedipper" <send_rubbish_here734@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My system currently has 196mb of sdram, 128 and a 64 chip and I believe it
> is pc100 memory. MY motherboard manual says it can take either pc100 or
> pc1300 speed memory.
>
> Well, I recently got my hands on 2 x 128mb chips = 265mb but they run at
> pc66.
>
> The general consensus is that the more memory a system has the quicker it
> will run but assuming my board can take the pc66 speed should I expect the
> *extra* ram to increase my performance or will the fact that the memory is
> *slower* cancel the extra memory out?
>
> In other words, will 256mb ram running at pc66 give better performance
> that 196mb ram running at pc100?
>
> Cheers,
>
> TD.

> FREE - Stop Spam Now - FREE
> http://entier.ecosm.com/link/?obteip

Pity you did not post earlier Dave, see my post above....

toedipper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My system currently has 196mb of sdram, 128 and a 64 chip and I believe it
> is pc100 memory. MY motherboard manual says it can take either pc100 or
> pc1300 speed memory.
>
> Well, I recently got my hands on 2 x 128mb chips = 265mb but they run at
> pc66.
>
> The general consensus is that the more memory a system has the quicker it
> will run but assuming my board can take the pc66 speed should I expect the
> *extra* ram to increase my performance or will the fact that the memory is
> *slower* cancel the extra memory out?
>
> In other words, will 256mb ram running at pc66 give better performance that
> 196mb ram running at pc100?
>
> Cheers,
>
> TD.

What's the bus speed of the CPU?

toedipper wrote:
> Pity you did not post earlier Dave, see my post above....

I think dave is posting in error. The memmory will work in almost all
cases, just run at a slower clock speed. The motherboard (you do not
give the exact model, nor the CPU you're using in it) should auto detect
the RAM speed or either have a jumper or a BIOS setting for the RAM
speed. I was asking about the CPU because you do not say how old the
computer is. Early Celerons used a 66mhz FSB, and this would work just
fine with PC66 sdram without slowing things noticeably. Indeed, the
extra ram would likely show an improvement. You should be able to mix
PC66 and PC100 to get a larger total amount of RAM, with the PC100
running at the clock speed of the slowest sdram module. Then again, you
didn't mention the exact motherboard, so it's hard to say whether it can
even take more than 256mb of RAM.

spodosaurus wrote:

> toedipper wrote:
>
>> Pity you did not post earlier Dave, see my post above....
>>

> I think dave is posting in error. The memmory will work in almost all
> cases, just run at a slower clock speed. The motherboard (you do not
> give the exact model, nor the CPU you're using in it) should auto detect
> the RAM speed or either have a jumper or a BIOS setting for the RAM
> speed.

Unfortunately, you're mixing old and new technology. Older motherboards
(such as LX, BX, etc) do not generally have asynchronous memory capability
so, no, he can't plug in just any old memory speed and have it work, at
least not as a 'given' the way you suggest.

You can put in *faster* RAM, which could possibly explain the PC100, so
then the PC66 would work with these but the RAM having come with the
machine pretty much rules that out.

> I was asking about the CPU because you do not say how old the
> computer is. Early Celerons used a 66mhz FSB, and this would work just
> fine with PC66 sdram without slowing things noticeably.

Now, if his celeron was old enough you'd be right that it is a 66 Mhz bus
model but that doesn't mean he could use PC66 either because the most
common Intel 'celeron' chipsets, the 810, 810E, 815, and 815E (815 series
really P-III chipsets) will not run at all with PC66 and required PC100
minimum even though the celeron is running 66 MHz FSB. Note that these
'newer' ones are running async but they CAN NOT run lower than PC100.

Of course, if it's 800 Mhz, or above, it's a 100 MHz FSB Celeron anyway and
it becomes moot for any Intel motherboard.