AMD AthlonXP CPU Install

Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
mention it when installing a CPU.
6 answers Last reply
More about athlonxp install

    NO!

    "Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
    > mention it when installing a CPU.

    In article <K9pZc.359$Vl5.172@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Craig
    says...
    > Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
    > mention it when installing a CPU.

    No. Just built a PC using the retail version of the CPU, the one with
    the AMD Heatsink. No shim.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:11:38 GMT, "Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
    >mention it when installing a CPU.

    Shims seemed to be a passing fad amongst leet overclockers who would
    be (presumably) changing HSF's as often as they changed their
    underwear - weekly.

    The best protection for your CPU is:

    1) Insert the CPU and fit the HSF before fitting the MB in the case.
    ( it's a good time to fit the RAM, too)

    2) A slender flat-bladed screwdriver with the last inch bent to about
    20 degrees from the rest of the shaft is an excellent tool for getting
    the HSF clip onto the lug. Because the blade is bent, the handle of
    the screwdriver is angled away from the HSF, and the whole operation
    is much easier.

    3) Take your time.

    Best,

    Vic.

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <K9pZc.359$Vl5.172@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Craig
    > says...
    > > Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
    > > mention it when installing a CPU.
    > >
    > No. Just built a PC using the retail version of the CPU, the one with
    > the AMD Heatsink. No shim.

    Kind of thought so. I've read some articles on building a pc and none of
    them ever mentioned putting in a shim. Looks like some merchants are trying
    to get a few extra bucks.

    Thanks

    Craig

    Craig wrote:

    > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <K9pZc.359$Vl5.172@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Craig
    >>says...
    >>
    >>>Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
    >>>mention it when installing a CPU.
    >>>

    >>No. Just built a PC using the retail version of the CPU, the one with
    >>the AMD Heatsink. No shim.
    >>

    > Kind of thought so. I've read some articles on building a pc and none of
    > them ever mentioned putting in a shim. Looks like some merchants are trying
    > to get a few extra bucks.

    Well, the 'shim' idea goes back to the original Athlon socket CPUs when
    people were cracking cores all over the place and the shim was to help
    alleviate that problem by, basically, keeping you from cocking the heatsink
    so much that you crush off the sides of the die. AMD eventually added the
    rubber bumpers that made the shim unnecessary.

    The not well thought out notion that; hey, since they're copper then maybe
    it'll help cool the thing, developed later.

    "Vic." <victor_papanekOBFUSCATION@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:11:38 GMT, "Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
    > >mention it when installing a CPU.
    > >

    > Shims seemed to be a passing fad amongst leet overclockers who would
    > be (presumably) changing HSF's as often as they changed their
    > underwear - weekly.

    lol. Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

    Craig

Homebuilt Hardware CPUs AMD Systems