Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD AthlonXP CPU Install

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 1, 2004 11:11:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
mention it when installing a CPU.
September 2, 2004 12:14:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

NO!

"Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:K9pZc.359$Vl5.172@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
> mention it when installing a CPU.
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2004 12:39:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <K9pZc.359$Vl5.172@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Craig
says...
> Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
> mention it when installing a CPU.
>
No. Just built a PC using the retail version of the CPU, the one with
the AMD Heatsink. No shim.


--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2004 5:41:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:11:38 GMT, "Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
>mention it when installing a CPU.
>

Shims seemed to be a passing fad amongst leet overclockers who would
be (presumably) changing HSF's as often as they changed their
underwear - weekly.

The best protection for your CPU is:

1) Insert the CPU and fit the HSF before fitting the MB in the case.
( it's a good time to fit the RAM, too)

2) A slender flat-bladed screwdriver with the last inch bent to about
20 degrees from the rest of the shaft is an excellent tool for getting
the HSF clip onto the lug. Because the blade is bent, the handle of
the screwdriver is angled away from the HSF, and the whole operation
is much easier.

3) Take your time.

Best,

Vic.
September 5, 2004 12:24:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1ba035d95675daf898975e@news.claranews.com...
> In article <K9pZc.359$Vl5.172@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Craig
> says...
> > Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
> > mention it when installing a CPU.
> >
> No. Just built a PC using the retail version of the CPU, the one with
> the AMD Heatsink. No shim.
>
Kind of thought so. I've read some articles on building a pc and none of
them ever mentioned putting in a shim. Looks like some merchants are trying
to get a few extra bucks.

Thanks

Craig
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2004 12:24:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Craig wrote:

> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1ba035d95675daf898975e@news.claranews.com...
>
>>In article <K9pZc.359$Vl5.172@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Craig
>>says...
>>
>>>Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
>>>mention it when installing a CPU.
>>>
>>
>>No. Just built a PC using the retail version of the CPU, the one with
>>the AMD Heatsink. No shim.
>>
>
> Kind of thought so. I've read some articles on building a pc and none of
> them ever mentioned putting in a shim. Looks like some merchants are trying
> to get a few extra bucks.

Well, the 'shim' idea goes back to the original Athlon socket CPUs when
people were cracking cores all over the place and the shim was to help
alleviate that problem by, basically, keeping you from cocking the heatsink
so much that you crush off the sides of the die. AMD eventually added the
rubber bumpers that made the shim unnecessary.

The not well thought out notion that; hey, since they're copper then maybe
it'll help cool the thing, developed later.

> Thanks
>
> Craig
>
>
September 6, 2004 6:20:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Vic." <victor_papanekOBFUSCATION@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ckqcj0tgp1g3j4b5poc0itfr5ugsbf2drt@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:11:38 GMT, "Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Is a CPU shim necessary? I've checked the AMD web site and they don't
> >mention it when installing a CPU.
> >
>
> Shims seemed to be a passing fad amongst leet overclockers who would
> be (presumably) changing HSF's as often as they changed their
> underwear - weekly.
>
lol. Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

Craig
!