external hdd usb storage - reccomendations?

For...

Regular file backup
Ideally not backing up to one (proprietary) archive file i.e preserving file
and folder structure
Bonus to be bootable in case of disaster
USB2
Win 98SE at present

looking at perhaps...

LaCie 300878
Western Digital Media Centre
Maxtor One Touch
Seagate 3160024
EZ2 Disk - this one is bootable supposedly

Any experiences to share?

TIA Chris.

jad

They are all like each other AFA USB2.0 interfaces go. I think that
the bootable 'FEATURE' would depend on the Mainboards boot features
and not what the drive does. I guess if it emulated 'a' like a
bootable CD...hmm pondering that IT still depends if the board has
boot from USB device option I would think. I have not seen this yet.
Maybe the new Nfarse boards?

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:33:30 -0700, "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>They are all like each other AFA USB2.0 interfaces go. I think that
>the bootable 'FEATURE' would depend on the Mainboards boot features
>and not what the drive does. I guess if it emulated 'a' like a
>bootable CD...hmm pondering that IT still depends if the board has
>boot from USB device option I would think. I have not seen this yet.
>Maybe the new Nfarse boards?
>
>"Russ Crowe" <Max@mas.com> wrote in message
>> For...
>>
>> Regular file backup
>> Ideally not backing up to one (proprietary) archive file i.e
>preserving file
>> and folder structure
>> Bonus to be bootable in case of disaster
>> USB2
>> Win 98SE at present
>>
>> looking at perhaps...
>>
>> LaCie 300878
>> Western Digital Media Centre
>> Maxtor One Touch
>> Seagate 3160024
>> EZ2 Disk - this one is bootable supposedly
>>
>> Any experiences to share?
>>
>> TIA Chris.

Most recent motherboards allow booting from USB-HDD. With regrads to
booting, you are correct, booting from a USB-HDD is a motherboard
function not a function of the drive/enclosure